What Constitutes A Legend?

the fox

Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Shaw. Cox, Paton and Redpath. Sloan, Humphries, Kelly, Watson and Aitkenhead.

Etched in my memory, because I'm a better 'Well fan than you. That's why I'm in the Trust and you're not. :whistling: B)

Frazzle

Lol careful now, some people might take that seriously! :-)

Guarantee you had to look that up though. I was surprised how many were familiar when I did just to check it but point is they are all Well legends and when the 100 year marks arrives how many will trip of the tongue of average Well fan?

I take your point - I was just being pedantic. However, I genuinely didn't have to look it up. Feel free to ask me the next time you see me!

With regards to the legendary status, if Kaiser is in that list above, then so must guys like John Philliben be - at which point I think you open up a big bag of worms. I think it's impossible to make such a list.

Frazzle

Have to agree that Cooper is a "football legend" whilst say Pettigrew is without doubt a "Well Legend".

For many its the blokes that remind them of a certain period in history like your first few seasons at Fir Park and you attach to a particular player and they always stay in your memory.

Or as some has said the 91 cup team, but are they really all Motherwell legends, in 20 years time it will always be the same 3 maybe 4 names always quoted.

Would argue if Faddy is really a legend yet or really just the best we have seen at Fir Park in a while and if he doesnt start to turn it on soon with Birmingham and with Scotland then he will soon be forgotton. And if you consider Faddy a legend then what about skippy as he was able to turn it on when he felt like it but at the end of the day he was just the best we had at the time (although words can't be used to describe the little fat badge kissing @rsehole now).

And you dont become a legend just because you played 300 games as at the end of the day you are being paid to do a job and I have turned up for work everyday for the past 10 years but no one else in the office considers me to be a "legend" (apart from me!!). For pure entertainment value many might rate big Sieb as a Motherwell legend as although he only played say 80 games he was great with the fans and he is still spoken about today by many who saw him.

After all that, my vote goes to Dougie Arnott who IMHO meets all the criteria to be considered a Motherwell legend.

Just playing devils advocate here, but why should we consider Angus and Ferguson legends? Yeah, they scored in a game we all remember fondly, but so has Shaun Fagan and Marc Fitzpatrick. Had we not won the Cup in 1991, there's a few guys in that particular squad who would be considerred no more than journeymen.

Frazzle

Just playing devils advocate here, but why should we consider Angus and Ferguson legends? Yeah, they scored in a game we all remember fondly, but so has Shaun Fagan and Marc Fitzpatrick. Had we not won the Cup in 1991, there's a few guys in that particular squad who would be considerred no more than journeymen.

Frazzle

I can see what you are saying but its quite harsh to call them journeymen. Given we've won little domestic trophies, the achievements of those who won these trophies earns them the right to become legends. Becoming a legend is something our first team should hope to become. I bet Shaun fagan and Marc Fitzpatrick hope to have won a similar amount of medals as Ian Angus and Iain Ferguson.

I can see what you are saying but its quite harsh to call them journeymen. Given we've won little domestic trophies, the achievements of those who won these trophies earns them the right to become legends. Becoming a legend is something our first team should hope to become. I bet Shaun fagan and Marc Fitzpatrick hope to have won a similar amount of medals as Ian Angus and Iain Ferguson.

100% correct mate, the '91 team are all legends!

C'mon now, you can't say that on a public forum when you know that "journalists" from low-dealing scum rags might be watching. We'll know where to put the blame if the Sun runs a "Bobby Graham was Willie Pettigrew's Dad" headline tomorrow.

:whistling: I had the pleasure of watching Bobby and Willie playing together, and like the younger generation today saying Faddy is a legend well they two were in their day. I idolised the two of them and when I was old enough to go to the pub there was Bobby drinking with my old man in the burns tavern, I was all stary eyed for a while buying him beers then I got used to his company, formed a good phat team at one point. Anyway legends are what people see in their own eyes, there are the obvious players who are true legends and other players who stick in your mind who have done something special for Motherwell FC and stick in your mind as a Motherwell FC legend, there has also been many Leg ends. The joys.

Young ones talk about Faddy, someone pointed out after years will be forgoten, how true is that. Ian St John has not even had a mention and been a legend in his own right.

dykstra's tache must go in there.

the word legend is one of the most over used terms, but everyone has there own ideas on who they would give that title to.

Maxwell for his performance in the 91 cup final, Tommy Coyne for his goals, David Ferreer (?) for that hat trick!!!

Phil O'Donnell is one of my favourite players ever to pull on a well top, he came through the ranks, scored in a winning cup final, got a nice transfer fee for him, came back and let us see the greatest fresh air shot ever, helped us get to another cup final and was team captain. He also came out with the word that it was an honour every time he pulled on that jersey and that makes a legend for me.

Lee

Motherwell legends:-

- John "Sailor" Hunter

- The entire 1932 League Winning Squad

- George Stevenson

- The entire 1952 Scottish Cup Winning Team

- The entire 1951 League Cup Winning Team

- Tommy McLean

- The entire 1991 Scottish Cup Winning Team

- The Ancell Babes

- Charlie Aitken

- Joe Wark

- Willie Pettigrew

- Martyn Corrigan

I would agree with that completely, and add that I'd consider someone a Motherwell legend if they had made a significant contribution to the club, taking into account impact and length of service.

What constitutes a legend? Easy. Smacking Peter Grant in the face. :wallbash:

Bassa ! You beat me to it! OK Doing a shimmie on the penalty spot so that two Celtic Defenders fall on top of their goalkeeper while you round the lot of them to put the ball in the net. Bobby Russell take a bow son!

Was that not an equaliser in a 1-1 draw from a Gillespie mistake? Hardly the stuff of legend, (or is your tongue well and truly in your cheek)?

I'd call the 2-1 victory over Celtic a legend, Jamie Dolan takes over in goals and we beat Celtic deserves a special mention, the last minute winner from Iain Ross was the icing on the cake of a truly legendary day.

Must say i agree with most of the talk on here about Motherwell legends and would have Martin Corrigan in my list for sure. However, contrary to quite a few of the posters I would also include Davie Cooper.

Cooper had been rotting away on the bench and in the reserves for Rangers and many people in the game and in the media had written him off, his signing for Motherwell was just another stop in his declining years. Coopers arrival at Motherwell not only energised the whole club but revitalised his career, three years after his last cap Scotland called him up again for two more in 1990. He was, after a spell in the doldrums, enjoying his football once more. He had gone on record as saying that his Motherwell career was amongst his happiest times as a footballer. Cooper's influence had a massive bearing on the Cup run, his influence in the team gave even the most ordinary of players a massive boost to their confidence. Just because he happened to be a Rangers fan should not detract from his influence at Motherwell. No, for me, Davie Cooper is, and always will be, a Motherwell legend.

Must say i agree with most of the talk on here about Motherwell legends and would have Martin Corrigan in my list for sure. However, contrary to quite a few of the posters I would also include Davie Cooper.

Cooper had been rotting away on the bench and in the reserves for Rangers and many people in the game and in the media had written him off, his signing for Motherwell was just another stop in his declining years. Coopers arrival at Motherwell not only energised the whole club but revitalised his career, three years after his last cap Scotland called him up again for two more in 1990. He was, after a spell in the doldrums, enjoying his football once more. He had gone on record as saying that his Motherwell career was amongst his happiest times as a footballer. Cooper's influence had a massive bearing on the Cup run, his influence in the team gave even the most ordinary of players a massive boost to their confidence. Just because he happened to be a Rangers fan should not detract from his influence at Motherwell. No, for me, Davie Cooper is, and always will be, a Motherwell legend.

Have to agree that once you put aside his background you have to accept that he was one of the major influences on the squad at the time and without him do you think that team would still have gone on to win the cup?

Worthwhile remembering as well the involvement and time he spent with not only younger members of the first team but he did his turn working with all levels at the club (as was the way for many of our players at the time).

Wise words friend could not have put it better myself.

Definitely agree with that. Im only 23 so I was pretty young when I saw Cooper play, but I always remember my Uncle and my Dad telling me at the games how special he was and how much of a good thing he was for Motherwell and to have a player like that wear our shirt. Corrigan would definitely be in there.

And maybe this is a generational one but I'd probably put Tommy Coyne in there. He is probably the best striker I have seen in a Motherwell shirt and his partnership with Dougie worked from the off an would be a hard one to top.

Davie Cooper is a Motherwell legend because he was one of the most technically gifted players in WORLD FOOTBALL and he played some of his best years at Motherwell.

He also featured in the only Motherwell team to win a major trophy in 60 years. What's more, does anyone believe we would have won the trophy without Coops? He gave confidence and inspired Motherwell to play beyond the level they had been playing before he arrived.

Not only that he had a great rapport with the support and when you put all those things you get Motherwell Legend.

I think it would be pretty pathetic if the We-Hate-The-OF brigade tried to take that status away just because he was a Rangers fan. Davie Cooper was in the Top 1% of Motherwell Greats and that is why a stand is named after him.