Give Humphrey A Chance

Tartan Copper

Not sure if I was watching a different match last Thursday (home leg), but I thought Humphrey was outstanding on the right-hand side. Him and Hateley worked well together causing their left-back endless problems! Yes...not all of his crosses were perfect, but a majority hit the 6 yard area. Any decent striker could have scored 3 or 4 before half time.

Personally, I would persevere with Hateley right-back, Humphrey right-wing. If they play week in week out, I think that will become a successful partnership.

Team for Thursday:

I will almost guarantee you that Humphrey will be dropped and Hateley will play right-wing. This is so frustrating, we have to play our right-back at right-wing and a centre-back at right-back! This is outrageous! For some reason, Brown does not like Humphrey! last season, Humphrey played at right-back against Hamilton...he was outstanding! Better than any other other right-backs I have seen play there over the last 2 seasons.

MR BROWN - GET A DECENT STRIKER....AND HUMPHREY WILL GET YOU GOALS!!!

Not sure if I was watching a different match last Thursday (home leg), but I thought Humphrey was outstanding on the right-hand side. Him and Hateley worked well together causing their left-back endless problems!

I think you were watching a different match because Hateley, Humphrey and Sutton were probably our worst three players and even our best players on the night weren't by any stretch of the imagination "outstanding".

Hateley + Sutton werent great but I was quite happy with Humph last week,if we`d had a poacher in the middle we`d have scored 3 or 4 by half time with his crosses,ok not every single cross is perfect but his pace causes problems + 3 or 4 top quality crosses in 45 mins aint to be sniffed at,not his fault our "strikers" looked clueless when making runs

Humph was a lot better last week. At least he managed to put a few crosses into the six yard area. His pace will always be an advantage if he can manage to produce an end product - time will tell if this can be achieved but certainly worth another try IMO.

I'm hoping that Paw Broon keeps the faith with Humph not just tonight but for at least the next few games n I think he can establish himself as our 1st choice right mid. Pace frightens defenders.

I totally agree I thought his performance against "Ready Brek" was at times the best we have seen from him. I can't remember when he ever got so many crosses into the box, he linked well with Hately although there were a few mistakes and he looked to have their left back shitting himself whenever he had the ball. Keep the faith with Humph Mr Broon keep the faith.

He has the pace, but either lacks the skill or confidence to go past players.

His final ball is getting better.

I say give him a decent run in the team and lets see how it goes as last season was all a bit stop start and also the tragic personal problems he had will have no doubt affected his game.

I think we should try him as a forward!

We played him up front against St Mirren last season (the midweek game away from home) and he was dire. Not his fault, its just not his position and Brown admitted it. As a right-back he's not bad going forward but at the back he's not got a clue how to tackle- he got destroyed in the second half of the post split game vs Dundee United at FP. Play him at right-mid cos he's the best we've got there. He's fast enough to beat anyone and his crossing isnt that bad.

I think you were watching a different match because Hateley, Humphrey and Sutton were probably our worst three players and even our best players on the night weren't by any stretch of the imagination "outstanding".

What? It was obvious from the very first kick of the game, Sutton was in the team to win every high ball that got near him, and apart from about 3 - one of which was right at kick-off he did that. It is not his fault, he was told to play Left wing, so any knock down only had one place to go - into the middle of the park. If he was playing as the middle man, with Murphy/Humphries on the wings - it would have been devistating for Breidablik as Randolph's was able to pin point Sutton almost every time

I don't care if Humphrey doesn't go past a single man - he doesn't need to if he sorts his cross out. One of the best, if not the best in the business (David Beckham) couldn't beat the average left back when he was in his prime, so I don't care if Humphrey does.

It's not even that. If he uses his pace and gets past the left back and hits a cross in, 9 times out of 10 we only have one player in the box.

Once more MFC hits it on the napper. Humph hit a few excellent crosses into the danger zone after going past someone last week. The problem is the people who were meant to be there weren't. Hitting the ball into the danger zone from a cross, corner or free kick from behind a player, on the run or in front of a wall seems to be an acceptable thing to do the world over apart from in Motherwell. It's pish unless it set square perfect onto a centre forward's heid

Look at Forbes. Last Thursday, he put in quite a few very good crosses to that 6 yard box, and that was for a guy playing on that left side, with no pace to take players on. So that proves you don't need to be able to take players on to get a cross in. Get Humphrey's final ball sorted, and he could be a real asset.

Oh Haggischomper's point - it's right that the midfield should be following up - although las gets a nosebleed when he gets within two yards of the box. however the biggest concern was that neither Murphy or Sutton were in a position to get onto decent crosses at times in the first leg. that could be lack of match sharpness, poor positional awareness on behalf of the player or even being played too deep or wide by SensiBroon.

There's parts of Humphrey's game which needs work on - crossing and ability to beat players with the ball at his feet.

However, Motherwells midfield is equipped at this minute with holding players, none of whom possess any pace.

If the balls lumped over the top and Humphrey catches it and swings into a dangerous area, no one from midfield (or Sutton for that matter) has the pace to get into good position in the box.

Give Sutton a chance in the air and he'll bury it 8/10, but not from a quick break on the wing from Humphrey.

Don't think he'll start tonight anyway.

IMO Brown will play a compact formation that will try to stop The Icelanders scoring and try to score from set plays.

Big Sutty to score and take us through.