Scape Goat

Tartan Copper

I read a thread earlier and it mentioned the fact that HUMPHREY seems to be used as the team scape goat thus far this season.....the lad gets crosses into the box and a majority of the time knowone gets on the end of it.... We dont have many players in the team that offer much that any other teams would like.... as in goal scorers.... great defenders.... classy midfielders...superb keeper.....HUMPHREY has PACE (YOU CANT BUY THAT) dont get me wrong Motherwell are doing fine in my eyes, but one thing i cant understand is the fact that we dont use HUMPHREY enough, lets play him from the start... not ten minutes here ten minutes there....if we start the SPL with HUMPHREY on form we will fly out the traps.... Tell me why Brown just does not like the kid.....FORBES was awful on Thurs, but he will start on Thurs....Lets start with are strongest start eleven on Thurs.... not hold back and throw HUMPHREY on for the last few minutes... HUMPHREY comes on last week we scored.... it was not his fault the team then decided to shut up shop and he didnt get much ball after that..... Yes he needs to improve but i tell you what he will be a major player for us this season if WE USE HIM. ;)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I'm impressed at how many full stops you managed to cram into one post!

But I agree, with a bit of confidence and the right training and motivation, I think Humphrey could be a key player for us this season.

Was discussing this with one of my mates. There are two distinct types of football fans and it really comes down to perception of the game.

Most will jump on Humphrey's back because someone doesn't get on the end of his cross, irrespective of the quality of the cross. Others who can then see the bigger picture, and that the problem lies in not having strikers who can match Humphrey's pace and be in the box to meet his cross. There will always be more of the former in the support of a football team.

It's the same with Forbes, because he has the ability to score unthinkable goals and play great passes he is jumped upon when he doesn't do something extraordinary.

Happened with Fraser last season too.

Was discussing this with one of my mates. There are two distinct types of football fans and it really comes down to perception of the game.

Most will jump on Humphrey's back because someone doesn't get on the end of his cross, irrespective of the quality of the cross. Others who can then see the bigger picture, and that the problem lies in not having strikers who can match Humphrey's pace and be in the box to meet his cross. There will always be more of the former in the support of a football team.

It's the same with Forbes, because he has the ability to score unthinkable goals and play great passes he is jumped upon when he doesn't do something extraordinary.

Happened with Fraser last season too.

Nah, he`s just total shite with an ability to be even worse

I thought Humphrey did brilliantly in the Breidablik game a Fir Park and his crosses improved as the game got on. Also, did he not take a shot from pretty much the touchline which nearly cracked into the top corner????? Showing that he, much like Jim O'brien, has an eye for goal which is what you want from a winger.

Humphrey`s problem at the Breidablik game was the strikers movement was shite, Murphy is good running at people but he`s not an instinctive striker, Im sure I counted 3 top class crosses delivered on a plate, but Murphy just seemed to follow Sutton instead of making separate runs. Unfortunately it seems Pa Broon just doesnt fancy him tho and its a shame as if used regularly which would build his confidence,he could be devastating

Showing that he, much like Jim O'brien, has an eye for goal which is what you want from a winger.

o'brien scored 4 goals in 68 appearances. humphrey has scored 2 in his whole career.

i'd start humphrey on thursday but he's got a lot to improve before he becomes a vital plater for us. i'd never start him and forbes in the same team though.

I was never Jim O'Briens biggest fan but I will admit that the O'Brien that left Motherwell was a better player than when he began. So with the right coaching and application players can and do get better. So its only fair to give Humphrey's a bit more time, and he will have to improve to convince a good percentage of our support that he deserves a starting place. Put it this way its often said by managers that they will only bring a player to the club if he is better than what they have, would you say that Humphrey's is any better than say Darren Smith.

o'brien scored 4 goals in 68 appearances. humphrey has scored 2 in his whole career.

i'd start humphrey on thursday but he's got a lot to improve before he becomes a vital plater for us. i'd never start him and forbes in the same team though.

Whereas JOB was definitely a welder? :P

I'll throw my hat into the ring here and say that along with giving the guy a chance I also think that as a nippy winger the major part of his game should be crossing the ball either at pace or from dead. This is the thing he should be working at in training as I think his delivery in pace, area and danger is sadly lacking so far.

In the Breidblik game at home almost all of Forbes crosses put the defence under pressure, Humphrey's put the ball boys under pressure.

I don't understand why he can whip in curling crosses into the penalty area, David Beckham made a career out of it.

Don't confuses pace with work effort/ethic.

Humphrey is my favourite player and im delighted to see all the support for him. I would think Jamie Murphy could get onto a cross BUT not after being on the pitch for 80 mins as Humphrey only usually gets the last 10 mins.

Lets start with him and even if he tires out the other team we have the chance in the last 15 for a couple of goals.

almost all of Forbes crosses put the defence under pressure, Humphrey's put the ball boys under pressure.

While I agree Humphrey’s crosses are generally poor, Forbes can come over as being a little on the lazy side. His best performance in recent times was in the Aalesund game. He looked sharper and more accurate with his passing and shooting. In my opinion Humphrey just needs to practice, practice, practice on his final delivery, as his pace will always be a threat. There is nothing that worries a defence more that a pacey player running at them with the ball. My fear is that if he ever masters the art of crossing he won’t be hanging around Fir Park for long.

For the majority of the season, I expect Humphrey to be an impact player, coming on with 20-30 minutes to go and causing havoc with his pace. At some point I'd like to think he will have a purple patch like most wingers and CB will have no option but to give him a starting berth for a few weeks.

If he continues to work hard, he has the potential to be an Ivan Sproule type player. Like Sproule however, I doubt he will ever offer a degree of consistency.

@last some positive feedback about HUMPHREY, the points highlighted are pretty much my veiws, apart from the fact that confidence is the main issue at the mo, but how do you think HUMPHREY feels about having to play in Micky Mouse friendlies, while the whole start squad are rested, yes i know he is a footballer but he is playing with the youth team on a daily basis, yes its game time, but at least make him feel like a first team player.

HUMPHREY

1. His work ethic cant be questioned as he is never on the pitch long enough for that to be an issue.

2. I believe FORBES and HUMPHREY can play in the same team, and if they do it will prove successful (eventually).

3. BAHB (BE A HUMPHREY BELIEVER)

Would you be prepared to admit Broon is a wee bit mair qualified and by watching him just about every day in training he will be playing in these friendlies for a reason? Maybe CH has no objections to it himself, seemed happy enough at Bathgate, as it can only develop him as a player or prove he isn't up to Brown's standards? Surely he could only complain about his situation if he was outstanding in friendlies (when in fact he was quite poor in the first 45 mins against Bathgate) and not getting a chance in the first team?

When we finally have the moment of Humphrey bursting down the wing and whipping the ball into the box and big Sutty bangs a header in... well. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.

Eh?

If he can do it consistantly then fair enough. Once in a season wouldn't really cut the mustard though. Give a monkey a typewriter, he'll eventually come up with something sensible.