Scape Goat

Tartan Copper

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh?

If he can do it consistantly then fair enough. Once in a season wouldn't really cut the mustard though. Give a monkey a typewriter, he'll eventually come up with something sensible.

Well done. I was making a case for the guy. It's the same with ever player that comes to our club.

Porter, shite. Then he scores and is lauded. Jutkiewicz, Exactly the same.

Some folk on here still say O'Brien was shite whereas the rest were converted when he started tearing wingbacks new holes on a regular basis.

When someone finally gets on the end of a Humphrey cross, I have every confidence it will be come a regular happening.

I never said it would be once a season.

He needs to start acting like a first team player before the management make him feel like one.

I would say at least four or five crosses into the box, in the first 40mins of the Thurs leg at home last month was (ACTING LIKE A FIRST TEAM PLAYER) some might say ON A PLATE for a quality striker, but all HUMPHREY can do is put them in the mixer and let MURPHY and SUTTON provide the excuses as to why they did not get on the end of them. The lad cant do anymore than that. LADYWELL might disagree. But please feel free to enlighten me if them facts were wrong. I was at the game that night and that was my opinion. When HUMPHREY was at Shrewsbury Town, they had Grant HOLT up front who scored in and around 28 goals both seasons, most of those came from assists from HUMPHREY. We get the right guy up front to back MURPHY up and we will reap the rewards. LADYWELL i want him to prove you wrong really i do.

I don't think he's becoming a scapegoat though. I think the critic he gets is a little OTT, as the crosses that stay in the park are usually in the right spot if a player was able to get hold of it. The thing though is a good winger knows when to put the ball into the box. I think once Humph remembers that he is a lot quicker than our forwards and he puts his foot on the ball before crossing the ball we'll score a barrell load from his crosses.

Saying that, the reason he isn't starting is because of his pace, he can be used as a impact sub. I don't think it has anything to do with Brown not liking him. For fuck sake man, it's a squad game, it's not all about the starting XI.

I would say at least four or five crosses into the box, in the first 40mins of the Thurs leg at home last month was (ACTING LIKE A FIRST TEAM PLAYER) some might say ON A PLATE for a quality striker, but all HUMPHREY can do is put them in the mixer and let MURPHY and SUTTON provide the excuses as to why they did not get on the end of them. The lad cant do anymore than that. LADYWELL might disagree. But please feel free to enlighten me if them facts were wrong. I was at the game that night and that was my opinion. When HUMPHREY was at Shrewsbury Town, they had Grant HOLT up front who scored in and around 28 goals both seasons, most of those came from assists from HUMPHREY. We get the right guy up front to back MURPHY up and we will reap the rewards. LADYWELL i want him to prove you wrong really i do.

Exactly what Ive ben saying, If Forbes,Murphy or Hateley had put in the 4 or 5 superb crosses he did,people on here would have been creaming themselves.Yet what did Humph get? subbed after 60 mins. :lol: Its not his fault Murphy had no clue as to where to run and Sutton was stuck way out left. Its funny, if Humphrey hit every cross perfectly he wouldnt be a Motherwell player (Ironically,some folk would STILL find fault with another part of his game) Give him a run + a proper penalty box striker and we will reap the rewards

Well done. I was making a case for the guy. It's the same with ever player that comes to our club.

Porter, shite. Then he scores and is lauded. Jutkiewicz, Exactly the same.

Some folk on here still say O'Brien was shite whereas the rest were converted when he started tearing wingbacks new holes on a regular basis.

When someone finally gets on the end of a Humphrey cross, I have every confidence it will be come a regular happening.

I never said it would be once a season.

I was one person who was far from impressed by O'Brien in the July - December 2008 period. After that, and especially last season, I thought he was one of our better, more creative, and reliable players. Where Humphrey falls down (so to speak) imo is he appears to be the exact same player now than he was this time last year i.e. not developed like O'Brien did. As O'Brien is our most recent example, fans (and I include myself) expect to see a similar development in Humphrey. Even if it is at a slower pace, some development would be good. I just don't see any improvement and I am convinced that Brown playing him at RB in friendlies (when he is getting run outs for the first team as well) is not the best of signs with regards to the gaffers opinion on him being a step in replacement for O'Brien.

O'Brien might not have been everybody's fave but out of Lukas, Ruddy, Coke, and, even Hateley to an extent, he was the first to get snapped up with more than one club north and south of the border sniffing about. Shows how far he DID develop with us. I hope in 18 months time Humphrey signs a similar contract with a Championship club as that will mean he developed and became as good a player under us too.

Look let me make it clear, I hope he improves more than anyone else, to suggest the quality of the crossing which is a major part of his game is lacking in my opinion. I was chuffed to hear he played a blinder at Rugby Park in January, lets some more of those Chris.

I didn't think there were 4-5 quality crosses in the Breidbeik game, I do remember 4-5 going behind for by-kicks. I also think he tends to cross loopy balls rather than curling whippy efforts that make defenders panic.

For me, being a professional footballer means you act and think like one. The main part of his game is pace (won the genetic lottery) and crossing. Sometimes you need to have the presence of mind to look up and cross the ball not to an area in the hope someone is there, but to see where your support is and cross the ball accordingly. For me, he doesn't have the presence of mind to look up, a ball into a danger area with no strikers nearby is as good as putting it out.

I'd agree with Finlay in I haven't seen much improvement in 12 months, however to be fair to him it was hard for him to break into a regular starting position in the 2nd half of last season when we started the run.

Sometimes you need to have the presence of mind to look up and cross the ball not to an area in the hope someone is there, but to see where your support is and cross the ball accordingly. For me, he doesn't have the presence of mind to look up, a ball into a danger area with no strikers nearby is as good as putting it out.

Well, one fine example was the game last thursday. Bombed down the left, stopped and cut inside, waited till Murphy had got into the box before Humphrey knocked the ball to the back post. The defender managed to get the ball away, from the moment he stopped the ball on the wing you could hear the murmuring dislike towards what he was doing, and even though it was the right option there wasn't any noticeable appreciation towards his efforts.

It's something he's did a few times and it's worked pretty well. Did the same against Killie last season, IIRC, but instead of crossing played in JOB for a shot.

If he had more playing time then we'd get to see more of this. Of course, It looks like Forbes is going to be our preferred choice on the left.

One thing I have noticed is that when Humphrey is in the team with Hateley behind him, Hateley dictates what Humphrey does, which I think has a negative impact on his game.

I didn't think there were 4-5 quality crosses in the Breidbeik game, I do remember 4-5 going behind for by-kicks. I also think he tends to cross loopy balls rather than curling whippy efforts that make defenders panic.

ball into a danger area with no strikers nearby is as good as putting it out.

I'd agree with Finlay in I haven't seen much improvement in 12 months, however to be fair to him it was hard for him to break into a regular starting position in the 2nd half of last season when we started the run.

I really do think you were watching a different game, The job of a winger is to get the ball into the danger area, thats it, sometimes it works some times it does not, ITS THE STRIKERS JOB to complete the equation or at least attempt to, Genrally it is a team game but the STRIKERS get paid to put the ball in the back of the net, Wingers put the ball in the box. I apologise for explaining the obvious.

His crosses were and always will be a mixed bag, but if he keeps providing them without constant doubters, he will come good.

MAKING DEFENDERS PANIC :huh: you put the ball in the box they panic, its simple.

Last point, i think HUMPHREY works well with HATELEY, its LASLEY that cant work with him, HUMPHREY needs ball to feet, not over his head at pace, LASLEY although he seems to be bullet proof from critisism from a majority of the fans needs to take his blinkers off on occasions and work with HUMPHREY and HATELEY. Hopefully Thursday BROWN will throw caution to the wind and start HUMPHREY.

With the Rain Man use of capitals maybe its the assylum.

Chopper .... mate, read back through a number of posts where I've mentioned Humphrey, you'll find they are generally "could do better but lets see", not a constant doubter.

The job of all footballers is to score, 2nd is to retain possession when you have it by passing the ball to another member of their team. To put countless balls into the penalty spot with nobody there is a waste of calories and oxygen.

Yes lets see, HUMPHREY will start tonight, remember its my opinion alone, and i am sorry if i have harped on about it, but it vexes me to have to explain a footballers job in order to get my point across. Lets see if HUMPHREY can better his 10% ratio of crosses (apparently) grrrrrrrrrrrr

I see a good win tonight and all this will be forgotten and hopefully i am stating I TOLD YOU SO.

CHOPPER Oh come on, a little playground dont you think LADYWELL

Have to admit was delighted with his first half perfromance as he put several good crosses into the box, one ending up as a goal for Murphy. Tired in the second half i think, and i still think defensively especially his decision making could be better.

Definitely, when we stopped attacking he became very ineffective. There was only really one lapse from him at the back tonight and luckily it didn't cost us a goal.

Another point is that there were fitter and faster players on the park tonight than him. It really showed in the second half.

Onwards and upwards.

The lad played his part in both halfs as in the first it was obvious that we were going out for an early goal to take the pressure off and he played his part by landing some perfect balls into the box and always looking dangerous. In the second half it was obvious that we were under instruction to sit on that lead so opportunities for him were always going to be limited but he still played his part breaking down much of their play down that wing.

At the end of the day, Broon had tactics and Humphrey was obviously key to his strategy - and it worked.

Roll on our advance to Moscow :lol:

Judging by the response he got coming on, and from an ealier post in this very thread, Humphrey disnae need to worry much as Fitzy seems to be on his way back.

A few c***s round about me ready to throw in the towel and concede defeat last night, even at 2-0 up, as soon as his number was up on the board.

Fucking ridiculous.

Spot on Kirky. Some clown behind me was SCREAMING "this is pish Motherwell" after 20 mins 'cause Aalesund had a bit of possession. I despair at times.

Hey, the guy is entitled to shout and vent his feelings, there is no book on what is the best way to support your team, each person is different. A lot of people go to the games just to unload and release some pressure. Players know that and most can switch off. No real problem.

come on m8, screaming "this is pish" at YOUR OWN TEAM when theyre 2-0 up after 20 mins of a tricky European game is a bit out of order,thats not supporting your team, if you wana release some pressure, get some therapy,leather a ned or pump an easy tart, dont act like a mongo in a footie stadium