Odense Vs. Motherwell

LadywellToi

Add in the gate money from 3 ties and we'd be laughing. Just need to win this tie.

I've had a few Guinnesses tonight, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- these are pretty much two of the biggest games in Motherwell's history. The combination of potential income and previously-unattained glamour of the group stages are prizes that previous Motherwell teams have never really had a genuine chance of claiming. This year, we have a real opportunity, even if it would be against the odds, to actually do it. How good is that?

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Christ, if what Bill is suggesting is true then the next 180 mins of European football could be worth 3/4 of our annual turnover in one swoop ...... £3m (suggesting Celtic bomb out and Dundee go out narrowly got gain extra TV money - my best scenario, however not best for the Scottish co-efficient).

It's like the money we should have got for Paul Lambert but didn't, saying that it would have been wasted paying for Spencer's fake tan.

However essentially we are looking at 3x 7,500+ (for us a good bit above average crowd and outwith season ticket revenue too) home attendances over and above 19 SPL fixtures and 2 home League/Scot cup ties and TV money that probably wasn't budgeted for in the summer as they tend to go with the worst case scenario.

As for Thursday night, defensive tactics is a given, Blackman gave a good account of himself I felt on Sunday and Humphrey is improving 10 fold each game. I've put Blackman in left midfield, don't know if he'd be able to function adequately here however I hope he could as he had quick feet and some nice touches but its mainly for the pace and support he would offer.

Personally I'd sacrifice Sutton as he's not suited to a counter attacking tactics (even though defensively he does well) its just he's too slow in my humble opinion for this specific game. I'd replace Sutton in the starting lineup (controversially no doubt) with Forbes as his passing is probably the best in the team at present and allows the release the fast guys on the counter attack. Brown's defensive tactics would make up for his lack of pace and perceived laziness, plus another he's natural midfielder who we would look to have behind the ball soaking up the pressure.

If Murphy goes AWOL in the 2nd half as he did in the last 2 games I'm sub him for Sutton and switch him and Blackman as I feel he does OK in a midfield role when he's been asked to do it.

I would have liked it if we picked up the 2ft right back from the bounce game, allowing Hateley to move to midfield as I felt last season he played even better there than he did at right back when needs demanded it. However you deal the hand you've been given.

Therefore I'd go with:

------------------------- Randolph ---------------------------

- Hateley ------ Craigan ------ Reynolds ------ Hammell -

----------- Forbes --- Lasley --- Jennings --- Blackman --

- Humphrey --------------------------------------------------

--------------------------- Murphy ---------------------------

For reaching the group stage you get €1,000,000 , which is about £820,000. Any win in the group stage is worth €100,000(£110,000 ot thereabouts). Half that for a draw. Any club also gets a share from the the national TV "market pool" so if we sneaked through and Celtic/Dundee Utd got pumped then I reckon that's another hefty wedge. I can't find figures for this that relate to last year's Europa League-except that it was €60m to be divided between the teams. We'd still have to pay our own flights mind but with that sort of dosh it wouldn't be a problem.

Add in the gate money from 3 ties and we'd be laughing. Just need to win this tie.

actually the tv revenue is on a game by game basis (if we get selected by Five/ITV4/ESPN in total there are 5 tv slots each matchnight so unless spurs get knocked out of champions league,all three scottish and all 3 english sides qualify then celtic and dundee united qualifying would help us(coefficient future involvement in europe) rather than hinder us

Christ, if what Bill is suggesting is true then the next 180 mins of European football could be worth 3/4 of our annual turnover in one swoop ...... £3m (suggesting Celtic bomb out and Dundee go out narrowly got gain extra TV money - my best scenario, however not best for the Scottish co-efficient).

It's like the money we should have got for Paul Lambert but didn't, saying that it would have been wasted paying for Spencer's fake tan.

However essentially we are looking at 3x 7,500+ (for us a good bit above average crowd and outwith season ticket revenue too) home attendances over and above 19 SPL fixtures and 2 home League/Scot cup ties and TV money that probably wasn't budgeted for in the summer as they tend to go with the worst case scenario.

As for Thursday night, defensive tactics is a given, Blackman gave a good account of himself I felt on Sunday and Humphrey is improving 10 fold each game. I've put Blackman in left midfield, don't know if he'd be able to function adequately here however I hope he could as he had quick feet and some nice touches but its mainly for the pace and support he would offer.

Personally I'd sacrifice Sutton as he's not suited to a counter attacking tactics (even though defensively he does well) its just he's too slow in my humble opinion for this specific game. I'd replace Sutton in the starting lineup (controversially no doubt) with Forbes as his passing is probably the best in the team at present and allows the release the fast guys on the counter attack. Brown's defensive tactics would make up for his lack of pace and perceived laziness, plus another he's natural midfielder who we would look to have behind the ball soaking up the pressure.

If Murphy goes AWOL in the 2nd half as he did in the last 2 games I'm sub him for Sutton and switch him and Blackman as I feel he does OK in a midfield role when he's been asked to do it.

I would have liked it if we picked up the 2ft right back from the bounce game, allowing Hateley to move to midfield as I felt last season he played even better there than he did at right back when needs demanded it. However you deal the hand you've been given.

Therefore I'd go with:

------------------------- Randolph ---------------------------

- Hateley ------ Craigan ------ Reynolds ------ Hammell -

----------- Forbes --- Lasley --- Jennings --- Blackman --

- Humphrey --------------------------------------------------

--------------------------- Murphy ---------------------------

Can't agree with this comment about leaving sutton out and i would bet my house on him starting, i don't know where he's not able to play counter attacking football it was his ball over the top from left midfield on the counter that got jutkiewitz the 6th goal against hibs.

Its the holding up the ball and taking pressure off the defence and being an outlet that makes him invaluable to the team i can see him playing a major part in the game.

Don't think he's in the European squad, and played a bounce game against Albion rovers tonight...?

Pretty sure Blackman got the wildcard which meant Casagolda can't feature at all in this round of Europe.

Think we'd all be absolutely delighted with a similar result to that in Norway. And we are capapble of it. Go on lads, believe in yourselves.

Aye Blackman was the wildcard so we'll need to progress into the group stages, where Casagolda will inevitably single handedly put us into the latter stages!

Yer man Shooter hit the nail on the head earlier when drawing comparisons between the Danish & Scottish leagues, Celtic took one of the top strikers from the top team in Denmark n hes no kicked a baw.

I agree with what he said about them not being on the same level as Steaua or Nancy as well.

Hopefully the boys will be confident in the fact that Craig Brown is, believe it or not, a sound tactician as he's proved with our away results in Europe thus far. You don't see him throwing 17 year olds into a baptism of fire a la Gannon.

Saying that I do think its a step up from the Breidabliks and Aalesunds of this World but I seriously believe we can do this!

I'm setting the alarm for half 2 whackin 10 dollars on the internet n havin a wee six pack to myself for this!

MOAN THE WELL!! INTAE THESE STORYTELLIN BASTARDS!!

Blackman seems to be getting thrust forward - almost every photo on the fishal article about the boys training last night is of him - and the press stuff has a few interviews with him. I would be relatively happy if he got a run instead of Sutts for an hour - he'll be a totally different proposition (and a surprise) for the Danes to deal with (vs what they were expecting).

good to see the Record up to their usual tricks - the on-line Blackman interview has a photo of Humph at the top.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/...86908-22497630/

i know it's been done ad nauseum - however ain't it brilliant how history has been re-written in east stand loyal's post.

I don't remember much moaning going on when Gannon was throwing the young guys in at the time. I remember everybody being relatively happy with last year's Euro jaunt as well at the time.

It's a different season, a whole different set of players, a whole different starting point in terms of squad numbers - so it's not apples for apples - but hey ho!

Don't think he's in the European squad, and played a bounce game against Albion rovers tonight...?

How did the bounce game go? Laughed at this wee bit on Albion Rovers website....

Derby Day Defeat

Rovers exited the Co-operative cup at the hands of Airdrie United by a goal to nil at Cliftonhill yesterday. A disappointing display form both sides was slightly marred at half-time by a skirmish on the terracing which was extinguished by stewards and police, no regular Albion Rovers fan was involved.

Can't agree with this comment about leaving sutton out and i would bet my house on him starting, i don't know where he's not able to play counter attacking football it was his ball over the top from left midfield on the counter that got jutkiewitz the 6th goal against hibs.

Its the holding up the ball and taking pressure off the defence and being an outlet that makes him invaluable to the team i can see him playing a major part in the game.

On reflection I'd leave Sutton in the starting line-up in left midfield bringing Blackman on for him or Murphy as and when required. As you point out he has played in the left mid position adequately in the past. He will definitely start no doubt about that. Benefit is Blackman will be an unknown quantity for them as much as us and he'll be up against tired legs.

actually the tv revenue is on a game by game basis (if we get selected by Five/ITV4/ESPN in total there are 5 tv slots each matchnight so unless spurs get knocked out of champions league,all three scottish and all 3 english sides qualify then celtic and dundee united qualifying would help us(coefficient future involvement in europe) rather than hinder us

Aye,but that's to do with braodcasting slots. The money is pooled and distrubuted centrally by UEFA;that was the big change when the competition was re-branded as the Europa League. The TV cash and prize money is handed out in the same way as the CL money now,just smaller amounts.

I can't really see Brown dropping Sutton. He's shown himself to be a very useful "fake" left winger/midfielder. It also gives us the option of him and Murphy switching positions during the game. His height might be useful at set-pieces,both defending and attacking.

Radio coverage doesn't look great. No mention of it on the BBC team news,just updates. Sportsound's page talks of Europa League coverage,shows starts at 6 so who knows. Hopefully a stream works well somewhere.

I have tried all the suggestios for seeing the game at Odense but have got nowhere. Would one of you computer geeks care give me a stepby step guide, using Windows 7.

Puhleeeeeese help a poor old soul with this new fangled stuff.

They won't work until the game starts mate.