Odense Vs. Motherwell

LadywellToi

Ah I guess its all legalities, cloaks and daggers etc? Is it a popular Motherwell hostelry in the vicinity of Fir Park?!

It was popular tonight and the roof nearly came off just before 8o'clock,as for cloak and dagger an improptu beer garden in the front street at half time might just have gave the game away :thumbup:

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If we actually had some shots from outside the box instead of fannying about and trying to walk it it, we'd do much better.

It's always been that way with Motherwell. The amount of times we get into decent positions and play it sideways instead of having a bash is scandalous. Lost count the amount of times I thought to myself "have a fucking dig".

I still think that last goal was luck

Nothing but pure luck

i know that's just to wind folk up but in a way it was very lucky.having hit it into the goalies arms the 1st time he got a 2nd chance and by the looks of the goalie he was expecting a cross again and had edged over to that side.the actual kick was quality though.

i know that's just to wind folk up but in a way it was very lucky.having hit it into the goalies arms the 1st time he got a 2nd chance and by the looks of the goalie he was expecting a cross again and had edged over to that side.the actual kick was quality though.

Think he managed to move the ball into a better position for the second effort but we hadn't had much luck up to then so we should take any that comes our way.

Think he managed to move the ball into a better position for the second effort but we hadn't had much luck up to then so we should take any that comes our way.

Agreed, moved it a bit and the wall were still in the same place so gave himself an advantage. Great goal and keeps the tie alive.

I cannae be bothered looking back through all the pages to see if anyone has said this before but I'll give my opinion. After the euphoria of keeping the tie open and scoring, it felt like we won. But having settled down and looking at the game as objectively as possible, I didn't think we were as good as people are making out, and were lucky that they weren't as good as we thought.

First, the good part - we probably dominated for the first half hour.

The bad bits - Roy Carroll was not tested the whole game. Not once. They must have had Saunders marked out as a weak point cos they were throwing long balls down his channel all game - he dealt OK withthem mainly but looked shaky on occasion. Craigan was completely pedestrian for their second goal, and defensively we weren't great. We lacked invention and cutting edge going forward and Humphrey was our only creative outlet, to the point where we had Hammell playing cross diagonals to him on the right wing. It was predictable and Odense had it sussed. When he beat his man, bar one or two crosses, his crossing was poor. Djemba Djemba bossed the midfield, and Jennings was probably two yellows for high feet I think, and was sliding in a lot so was asking for it from the ref. We gave the ball away cheaply a lot in defence and midfield. The penalty claims - the handball was a penalty cos his arm was raised above his head, but I think I would have felt hard done by if the Murphy one was given against us.

I know I'll likely be shot down but we weren't that good tonight, but we were lucky that Odense weren't up to much either. We really need another few signings - a left sided midfielder is the priority for me.

Hopefully we can turn it round at Fir Park and blow them away with good backing next Thursday!

Also - what is all this 'The Pub' chat?

+1 but I'd go for a right back rather than a left midfielder as I'd be more inclined to play Sutton there going forward as his bulk and aerial presence is useful. I'd be interested to know if there is any option on Blackman written into his loan or he is merely being farmed out to get 1st team football while certainly being in Blackburn's future plans.

If Reynolds is leaving before the deadline and talk of Hutchison going out on loan then the right back is a necessity as Saunders will probably move to centre half. I quite like the idea of Hammell and that Kerkak playing as wingbacks but I think I'd want Hateley to sit just in-front of the centre-backs.

The midfield need to be shown a video of the Man Utd vs Newcastle game on Monday and instructed to watch Scholes as to how they should conduct themselves in the games ahead. Forbes has a start next week you'd think so has a good opportunity for the first time in a while to peg out a claim and live up to what he showed at the start of last season.

I wonder what Craigan would have said if he was summarising for the BBC on his brain fart during the second goal.

What is it with the Claret and Amber and refs not giving us the 50-50's, or even the 95-5's in 3 good penalty claims we've had - its getting a bit boring from two McGoo's in the 5 days.

The midfield need to be shown a video of the Man Utd vs Newcastle game on Monday and instructed to watch Scholes as to how they should conduct themselves in the games ahead.

Genius.

How come no-one has thought of this before.

I wondered how I could cook a great omlette straight after watching Gordon Ramsay oan the TV.

Having not really had the chance to watch many motherwell games on the telly, lets face it if we are playing an important game in Scotland most of us are there, the pub lastnight was a crazy experience. I've been in boozers before watching scotland and seeing places erupt but absolutley nothing like that. When that goal went in the noise, the exhileration, the comunal orgasm......

Fuck knows what happened, it was mental and it was awesum! Lets get that atmosphere in Fir Park next week!

Mon the 'well!

Agreed - magic stuff in the pub. Excellent experience.

We shoulda created more chances, taken the early one - yeah I know

The ref was shocking - yip

But for away performances in Europe - probably only Dortmund comes close.

Paul Scholes role model??? nah - i can remember plenty times when his on field behaviour was - less exemplary shall we say.

Our boys did fuckin brilliant last night

Agreed - magic stuff in the pub. Excellent experience.

We shoulda created more chances, taken the early one - yeah I know

The ref was shocking - yip

But for away performances in Europe - probably only Dortmund comes close.

Paul Scholes role model??? nah - i can remember plenty times when his on field behaviour was - less exemplary shall we say.

Our boys did fuckin brilliant last night

Like that time he fell on his arse n showed everyone his banger

Just back about 20 minutes ago and that goal, fuckin hell, what a celebration. Like a Cup Final winner almost, pity there was no warm down to give us another chance to cheer the lads afterwards, they were gone up the tunnel far too quickly and didn't reappear. I know it's only half time but grabbing that goal so late was worthy of further celebration although we gave it our best shot in the stand.

Just back about 20 minutes ago and that goal, fuckin hell, what a celebration. Like a Cup Final winner almost, pity there was no warm down to give us another chance to cheer the lads afterwards, they were gone up the tunnel far too quickly and didn't reappear. I know it's only half time but grabbing that goal so late was worthy of further celebration although we gave it our best shot in the stand.

Aye Good Stuff Matt - Like i said earlier some performance. obviously in 'the pub' we didn't get the sound of the game but it was a respectable turnoot.

Press reports generally pretty positive today, but The Herald's probably the most accurate, being the only one to notice the hosts questionable diving about as well...

20 Aug 2010

A SUBLIME Tom Hateley goal with the final kick of the match handed Motherwell a European lifeline they richly deserved for their inspired display at TRE-FOR Park last night.

Craig Brown’s side, who had enjoyed by far the majority of possession, had appeared to be heading for a painful defeat after conceding goals to Chris Sorensen and Peter Utaka in either half.

However, the Odense left-back Espen Ruud tugged substitute Nick Blackman’s shirt in the second minute of injury time and Hungarian referee Zsolt Szabo correctly awarded the visitors a free-kick.

Hateley stepped up and curled a right-foot shot over the defensive wall, beyond the clutches of the home team’s helpless goalkeeper Roy Carroll, the erstwhile Manchester United and Northern Ireland No.1, and into the top left corner.

It was no more than Motherwell, who had refused to resort to the questionable diving tactics employed by their hosts, merited after another hugely impressive outing on foreign soil.

The Motherwell supporters in Denmark will be confident they can now secure a lucrative place in the group stages of the Europa League with a win at Fir Park on Thursday.

Brown fielded the same team which lost 3-2 to Hibernian at Fir Park in their opening Clydesdale Bank Premier League match of the new season on Sunday.

However, he switched his personnel around – Chris Humphrey moved from the right to the left wing – and he fielded a more defensive formation.

Jamie Murphy, who broke his club’s European scoring record in the last round against Aalesunds, was again given the lone striker’s role.

John Sutton played just behind him in a 4-4-1-1 system and was charged with negating the influence of the former Manchester United and Aston Villa midfielder Eric Djemba-Djemba.

Brown had identified Rudd as the weak link in the host club’s rearguard beforehand and was hopeful Murphy’s pace and trickery would cause him problems.

That the former Scotland manager had done his homework on the Danish Superliga side was patently obvious from the outset.

Indeed, after just 30 seconds had elapsed, Murphy pounced on a slack pass back from Rudd and surged into the opposition penalty box. The 20-year-old, though, appeared to be surprised to find himself in a scoring position so soon after kick-off and snatched his attempt wide.

In the eighth minute, Humphrey received possession from Steven Saunders, cut infield and picked out Murphy in space in the home team’s area. While the striker’s shot was far better on this occasion, Alte Roar Haland anticipated well and blocked his effort.

Lars Olsen’s team recovered from their shaky start and their big-name players were soon trying to stamp their authority on proceedings going forward.

Darren Randolph saved well from a fierce Johan Absalonsen shot in 23 minutes after Utaka, the brother of Portsmouth striker John, had sent the winger clean through with a delightful pass.

It was galling, then, for Motherwell that, after defusing so many of their opponents’ sorties upfield, they fell behind to such a soft strike in 31 minutes.

Stevie Hammell fouled Caca needlessly 30 yards out. Sorensen flighted a free-kick into the box and watched in disbelief as it bounced unchallenged into goal.

Motherwell continued to control the match in the second half and when Utaka sprinted past Stephen Craigan and fired into the roof of their net in 78 minutes it was an injustice.

When Steve Jennings was ordered off in the 88th minute for a second bookable offence it appeared to cap a wretched night for Motherwell.

Hateley, however, had other ideas.

I'd be interested to know if there is any option on Blackman written into his loan or he is merely being farmed out to get 1st team football while certainly being in Blackburn's future plans.

Blackman has said himself he`s out of contract at the end of the season, if he has a good start to the season we will be in a very strong position to sign him permanently on a pre-contract in January, He would cost us nothing as its a cross border deal, and I think he`d be happy to stay if he was getting regular football at a good level, just have to wait and see how he develops

I'm not going to get over cocky about the return leg as thats a sure fire way of tempting fate.

Odense were built up to be a lot more than what they were and the two goals we conceded were avoidable by all accounts.

Going to miss jenno in the centre of midfield whoever comes and replaces him really needs to step up to the plate.

Am i the only one surprised djemba djemba never got at least a yellow card last night?

Looking forward to the home tie, i never dare to dream but we are definately capable of beating odnse at home.

Mon the well

get the ground filled!!!!!!