Sunday 15th August V Hibernian

Tartan Copper

May be a good thing.

I would say that odds has not changed - we can expect a close game. You will probably be a bit more defensive in Odense, and hope to score an away goal and we will not suicide because we know it is going to be close over two games, and therefore need to prevent away goals. Beside that I saw some qualities in your team that will make it very difficult for our team, and visa versa.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we were ok in the 1st half without creating much. 2nd half was pish, poor passing and a lack of ideas.thought saunders use of the ball was very poor and hately didnae get into the game,sutton was well defended by bamba.humphrey was the only real threat in the 2nd half.

Controlled the 1st half, playing a high line and pressurising Hibs. Excellent performance (goal apart.)

Sat too deep all of 2nd half, allowing Hibs to do what they do best - countering through midfield and up front at pace. Unfortunately, we couldn't live with that and if not for Randolph, the score line could have been worse.

Some good performances and althought not a shocking performance - Hibs highlighted our ever present deficiencies.

Lack of pace, when we're stretched. (Humphrey aside.)

Areas still need addressed, but sure C.B. and A.K. will be analysing the video as we speak.

Going to be a shut up shop type of match, come Thusday :thumbup:

dont think Hatley did to bad considering where he was playing. Lasley was very poor.

The team really need to practice crossing a ball. Far to many times it hit the first man or was to deep. On many occasions there was no pressure from an opponent. Where as Hibs provided quality balls.

Tell you what there is not much point spending money on the pitch, if we are going to play the game in the air!

We lost 3 poor goals today, mark reynolds had a howler, hanlon's goal went in offmhis hand, as much as hartson and hendry say it was a legitimate goal the ball didn't have enough momemtum on it to cross the line until it hit his hand.

I felt that bamba once again was allowed to get away with bully boy defending the whole game

And eventually got carded for timewasting.

lots of positives we need cover in defence the heat and the amount of games we've had so far makes it silly not to have sufficient cover.

"We should've been well ahead at half-time and second half we didn't do enough to stay in the game. Hibs' equaliser was a massive blow, but the game should've been out of sight by then. We didn't maintain our dominance and paid the penalty. Any neutral watching would say there was nothing between the two sides and I think that'll remain the case throughout the season."

Motherwell manager Craig Brown

i would suggest hibs attack is far superior than ours, and if they could sort out their defence, would by miles in front of us.

As they realistically should be to be honest.

We had a bit of an off-day today, but hopefully we'll bounce back and take something from the game on Thursday.

I'm still confident of a top 6 finish this season. One game won't change that.

Overall I felt we played pretty well, and can consider ourselves very unlucky to lose. First half we were vastly superior to Hibs in all departments but didn't get the second goal we needed. The equaliser chsnged the whole dynamic of the game, and both half time team talks.

They improved after the break but I still felt it was fairly even. If Hump's cross-cum-shot had gone in we may well have won, but they had some chances on the counter too. Big Randy was superb in goal, his save after the break from Stokes was world class.

Yes their second goal was handball, but it was very difficult to spot at full speed, so its hard to blame the officials there. What I can blame them for is the possible penalty for the foul on Sutton, and also for failing to penalise Hogg and Bamba for continually battering big Sutty throughout the game.

Disappointed to lose, but not disheartened with the overall performance.

Disappointed not to have come out of that with a point.

I thought we were really good in the first half. Should have been a bit more clinical when the chances came our way granted but we played Hibs forward line superbly. Which ofcourse made it all the more sickening to go in at half-time level. It also rankled a bit that they were only in our half at that point by virtue of a free-kick that never was when Sutton was penalised for standing still and making no content with the Hibs defender whatsoever!

Someone round about us summed it up quite nicely. We'd be going in at half-time gutted that we've dominated but still aren't ahead whilst they were going in thinking, hey we've done absolutely fuck all here but are still level.

At the time I thought it looked like a possibility of a foul on Randolph. Having seen it quickly again, not so much a foul on him, but certainly a question of hand-ball.

The penalty looked the least convincing of the three claims we had but despite the introduction of more forwards we never really created anything that really threatened them whilst by that point they looked like they could score every time they broke forward.

Fine margins. Get to half 1-0 up and its a different game. Humphrey's effort or Sutton being pulled down in the box and again you've a different complexion to things.

Just disappointing that we haven't managed to get a point which I think we deserved over the piece.

Beaten but not disheartened.

I thought our first half performance was superb. We should have been at least 3-0 after 20 minutes and I stopped counting at that point.

The equalizer was an enormous blow. To go in at 1-1 when we had blown them off the park for 45 minutes was obviously going to effect our confidence.

In the second half things just didn't go our way. We hit the inside of the post and Hibs went up the park and scored. I've not seen the TV pictures but I thought Sutton should have had an absolute stonewall penalty and Hibs went up the park again and made it 3-1.

We became disjointed and stretched in the second half but that was only to be expected as we threw forwards on, the players tired in hot conditions after putting in one hell of a shift and we were chasing an equalizer.

It was just one of those days, we didn't get the luck and the referee Thomson was absolutely deplorable which didn't help. I'd call into question his decisions in at least 3 of the goals.

The problem now is we have 2 away games and its important we pick up some points soon and we don't get jittery but as far as I'm concerned today we played at a Top 6 or very close to Top 6 level and if we can replicate our first half performance most of the SPL will be beneath us come the end of the season.

Randolph (7) Couple of good saves, one world class save but I'd like to see TV pictures of the two scrambled goals? Was he fouled or could he have done better?

Saunders (6) He's a young lad with a good future ahead of him but his inexperienced showed when we went behind. His head goes down too easily when things go badly.

Craigan (:thumbup: Thought he was excellent once again and played the captain role to perfection

Reynolds (7) One bad mistake but he made up for it.

Hammell (7) Good first half but was forced back in the second half.

Jennings (7) Best of the midfielders

Hateley (6) A decent enough display but he can do better

Lasley (6) Great in the first half but lost the plot in the second. Probably trying too hard.

Humphrey (6) Getting better in terms of attitude and commitment but I'm still not sure he has any technique.

Sutton (7) Got the goal but became less effective as we lost our shape.

Murphy (7) He showed signs last season but I think this will be his 'coming-of-age' season.

Blackman (4) Showed some good touches.

Casagolda (2) Not much opportunity to shine.

What I can blame them for is the possible penalty for the foul on Sutton

How can you blame them if you only think it was a "possible penalty" yourself? :thumbup:

(TBH, from what I saw on the TV, it would've been a soft one... although certainly not much softer than the one we did get.)

Bit disappointed but not exactly surprised. Thought Lasley was great until the foul. If talent scouts were watching Reynolds today then I predict we will have him to January at least. Not doing himself any favours at all. Randolph was very solid at times and was happy with a lot of Hammell's passing.

Hateley didn't seem to get into the game at any point. Sutton was marked out the game by Bamba who really should have been booked early on. The more I see Murphy the more I think he might be the ideal replacement for JOB. Great running and skill and good to see him put away the penalty with confidence. Blackman looked like he could be a decent player. Certainly couldn't have been on the park for more than five minutes before he won us a penalty.

Casagolda didn't get too many chances to do anything. It would appear if we are chasing a game Blackman and Sutton/Casagolda will be the targets for high balls.

I would have kept Humphrey on for the 90 mins. At that time we were getting beat. Didn't see the point in taking off our most creative (on the day) player. I would have taken off Saunders instead and went 3 at the back.

Mixu was sat a few rows behind me in the POD Stand. I'm sure he didn't see anything that scared him as by all accounts Killie gave Rangers a pretty hard game yesterday. Need to perform better next Sunday.

Referee wasted the game.

Can't believe some of the shite on the radio afterwards. Going down because Sol Bamba has all but raped you is apparently verging on play acting.

I really hope Blackman or Casagolda can hit shots with power, the amount of chances we passed into Stack's hands was unreal. Atleast get someone to test him.

How can you blame them if you only think it was a "possible penalty" yourself? :woop:

(TBH, from what I saw on the TV, it would've been a soft one... although certainly not much softer than the one we did get.)

I only saw the one we did get (was trying to watch the game whilst working!!) and thought it looked a bit soft. We probably wouldn't have got it in previous seasons but they refs have seemingly been told to give pens for tugs in the box. I expect to see one at every other corner or free kick then :thumbup:

the shape of the team wis all wrong 3 holding midfielders with not 1 of them looking to break into the box.murphy was working hard down the left side leaving sutton the only man in the box when a decent cross came in.were badly needing a left winger in that will then allow murphy to get into the box more often.lasley,jennings and hately are to alike we dont need all 3 in the team at the same time.the turning point was the penalty that we never got cause hibs when straight up the other end and scored but the ref knew he made a c**t of it thats how he gave us a penalty later in the game.im disappointed we lost the game when we deserved atleast a point but we simply canny cope with hibs front 3 thats 12 goals in there last 4 visits to fir park :thumbup:

Referee wasted the game.

Can't believe some of the shite on the radio afterwards. Going down because Sol Bamba has all but raped you is apparently verging on play acting.

Exactly, I think that was Peter Houston saying that wasn't it? That it was a disgrace to the game, Sutton learned it from his brother and that the World Cup has a lot to answer for. What a load of pish. The number of times Bamba and Hogg were all over their man was ridiculous.

No got much to add beyond whats been said but looks like Blackman could do us a good turn. Seemed quite nimble for a big guy and managed to pull the ball form his under his feet to make a bit of space on a couple of occassions. Casagolda didny really see much of the ball but ran aboot and looks keen, that's good enough for me just now.

I would have kept Humphrey on for the 90 mins. At that time we were getting beat. Didn't see the point in taking off our most creative (on the day) player. I would have taken off Saunders instead and went 3 at the back.

Humphrey was done. If anything he should have been taken off earlier. The only thing he really has to his game is speed and since he had cramp there wasn't much point keeping him on.

Exactly, I think that was Peter Houston saying that wasn't it? That it was a disgrace to the game, Sutton learned it from his brother and that the World Cup has a lot to answer for. What a load of pish. The number of times Bamba and Hogg were all over their man was ridiculous.

I liked Houstons quote that he has no players that go down easily in his team...... ha ha you having a laugh Craig fucking Conway is all I have to say to that.

Overall I am pretty disappointed we walked away with nothing from the game. If we had went in 3-0 up at half time Hibs fans couldnt have complained as we dominated proceedings.

The goal before half time was a killer, you can let a team with players of Riordan ability to be able to whip good balls in, poor mistake from Lasley.

2nd half we were getting caught cold. Thought Saunders had Riordan tied up for about 60 mins then Hibs changed the shape of their team and caught us out too regularly.

Dont really know what to say about Thomson the ref mind you, so many poor poor decision he made and only started giving us decisions when we went 3-1 down. What does Sol Bamba have to do to go bet booked at Fir Park for persistent fouling. Him and Hogg make a cracking WWE tag team with the clothes lines and body slams. They really get away with murder.

the shape of the team wis all wrong 3 holding midfielders with not 1 of them looking to break into the box.murphy was working hard down the left side leaving sutton the only man in the box when a decent cross came in.were badly needing a left winger in that will then allow murphy to get into the box more often.lasley,jennings and hately are to alike we dont need all 3 in the team at the same time.the turning point was the penalty that we never got cause hibs when straight up the other end and scored but the ref knew he made a c**t of it thats how he gave us a penalty later in the game.im disappointed we lost the game when we deserved atleast a point but we simply canny cope with hibs front 3 thats 12 goals in there last 4 visits to fir park :thumbup:

Totally disagree.

The problem is that we run out of puff towards the end of the first half then start the second half pretty flat. I think this is down to our middle 3 being too narrow. Hateley was rotten today. Even the cross for the first goal looked unintentional, as he hit a similar ball into the box shortly after which Stack cleanly took. The biggest problem today was that no one was there to help out Saunders. He was bombing forwards and no one from midfield dropped in. With Hibs 3rd goal someone should have been tracking Miller but decided to leave him to Saunders who was already marking a man.

Humphrey was done. If anything he should have been taken off earlier. The only thing he really has to his game is speed and since he had cramp there wasn't much point keeping him on.

I take it this was info on the TV? I must admit I didn't see he was struggling at the game.

Hibs were better than we were going forward today. They're a threat to anyone, though I think had we matched them with attacking options could have been different. Still, I said on Friday to someone that I'd rather we won or drew on Thursday and didn't get a good result today. 37 games left, only 2 between us and the group stages and money enough to strengthen.