Hibs and Aberdeen

AndyRoss

Site was down at the time of both these games , possibly a good thing but it can't go without mentioning how poor we have been in these games.

Hibs was a mauling , didn't get near them the first half and it was incredible we went in at half time on level terms , second half we came out the exact same and got the going over we deserved. Couldn't get much worse after that one but at Aberdeen it nearly did.

Aberdeen are nowhere near as good as Hibs however they disposed of us very easily with a fair bit of room to spare. Our passing was off , we rarely threatened their defence and basically everything that we were so good at last season seems to have disappeared.

Maybe Saturday's outcome was the best we could have hoped for?

I've actually really missed this website and had it been up and running when those games were on my keyboard would've been on fire with the ranting I'd have done!!! Quite simply anything less than maximum points from the Killie, Accies, and ICT games and we're in for as bad a season as under Malpas. We don't have the players for a battle at the wrong end, in fact I'm not sure what the current set of players are useful for. It's certainly not scoring goals and passing to their team mates.

Well I'm glad the boards weren't around during the poor run lately, always hard to read the same moaners who seemingly can't wait for the next crap performance! So it was a godsend not to be able to trwl through the wreckage!

Nice to be back though, and here's hoping it heralds three points against Killie a week today!

Perhaps just as well that we were impotent at the time ............ have you seen the tone of comments of FPC.

Hopefully that's 2 bad games out the way and we can get on with securing some much needed points in our next few games against teams currently in the same 1/2 of the league as ourselves.

Was looking at FPC during the downtime and was glad I didn't have to post on there for the last few years.

Folk moaned about these boards being full of moaning sods, FPC isn't much better.

However I will give them the fact that we had 2 bad results as a reason for it.

Anyway back on topic, the Hibs game I thought after getting to halftime on level terms that MM would've put a firm boot up the players backsides but that failed to materialise.

Can't say anything about the Aberdeen game as I wasn't there.

The Hibs game was an absolute embarassment, made worse by the fact one of my mates is a Hibee. :lol:

I can't comment on the Aberdeen game as I didn't make the trip and tried to avoid reading about it. I was really glad this place was down around the time of those games cos it would have been tough reading!

I seen McGhee saying he was looking into 50 players as possible signing/loan targets. Maybe that was his way of giving the current players another kick up the backside?

I have to say that I think any moaning that would have followed the Hibs game would have been totally justified. 4-1 flattered us that day. Graeme Smith had a number of good stops one on one with some of the Hibs' strikers. We could easily have found ourselves on the wrong end of the same kind of hiding as the Accies' result that was mentioned in this thread.

I know it's long established that I'm not Mark McGhee's biggest fan, but even those who have more faith in him than I do admitted that 1-1 at half time was a steal for us. Sadly, and not for the first time in my opinion, the half time team talk seemed to have the opposite of the desired effect. For whatever reason, the same players who performed so admirably last season are performing poorly this season. This is not a form slump. Even in some matches we have won this season, we have been poor. In my opinion, it may be that some of the players have become complacent due to the nature of our small squad, and McGhee's apparent reluctance to shake things up by (just as examples) bringing in Darren Smith for McGarry or changing to 4-4-2 and playing O'Brien as a winger rather than play David Clarkson out of position. McGhee himself said last season that there were only around 13 players that he had faith in to start without the level of performance dropping. Perhaps the lack of significant development of the squad in the summer means that these 13 players feel overly comfortable in the knowledge that they'll be starting pretty much irrespective of performance. There are 6 or 7 players that we all know if they're fit, they're starting. This is good for continuity when the team is playing well. Unfortunately in our current form, it leads to first teamers not sweating over their place in the team and young players becoming frustrated at the lack of opportunities.

I await with interest the Kilmarnock game, just to see how three defeats on the spin and one goal in five games affects our line up. I'm afraid the answer might be not a lot...

Well there will be at least one change as Quinn is out. I think a lot of what you say is true.

We were good for a half against Inverness, we were decent against the Accies and pretty good against United. We played well against Rangers too. Apart from that we have been at best erratic.

I think our esteemed leader has picked his formation and picked his best eleven players available and shoe horned them into his formation which has led to a lot of disappointing peformances as a group. Because our ball retention has not been that good middle to front our defence has been under a lot more pressure and have been shown not to be good enough to cope.

I think McGhee needs to make a choice and either:

• plays a formation that allows his best players to play together comfortable or
  • plays players in position which may not be his best eleven players but provide a better unit.

I was encouraged he made changes at Aberdeen (not the ones I would have made) but it had little effect. Hopefully we will see more of the same against Killie. We need to have a go as they have been mince as well and their confidence will be shaken so if we get ahead early we could see their heads drop.

Yes as much as i've missed these boards it would've been SCATHING critism after these 2 debacles. We've had time to regroup now and max points in our next 3 games is a MUST if we're to make :huh: the top 6. Europe is now i believe beyond us as i think Dundee Utd will clinch 3rd spot. But the way we've been playing recently we could get involved in a relegation battle that's how poor we've been. The worst 2 players in our team are Porter and Quinn who've been pants all season. I'd punt the two of them to free money to get fresh hungry players 3 would be ideal In the transfer window. We really do need to change things as this season has been poor and hearing people saying we're ONE SEASON WONDERS! Has me gutted.