Ian St John

mfcmainstand

I've never been keen on the Main Stand. I've watched a few games from there over the years thanks to a mates sister not using her season ticket (though that was mid/late 80's) - better than paying but not as good as the more familiar territory of the Shed/ East Stand.

The last game I watched from the Main Stand was a belter though. 'Well v Celtic in the Cup, 1-0 thanks to a Cobra header, literally surrounded by Soapdodgers. Maybe 8-10 'Well fans scattered in front of me in amongst the Great Unwashed - the closest Dosser to me was a mate of mine, two rows in front and about 6 seats to the left. What a great day, especially when we skittled to mhankies around us to celebrate the goal.

Please excuse the drunken, nostalgic rambling.

The last game I watched from the main stand was Dooooooooooogiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeees game DOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE DOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUGGGGGGGGIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Apart from that not very often, a good view though better than the East easy

In the article in the paper, he also said some good things about the Ancell Babes.

He said that they were an attacking team always going forward and sometimes scored 6 or 7 goals but unfortunately in other games were let down by a small defence(ring any bells).

He mentioned the fact that Fir Park was always mobbed in those days, a few of the better players, Willie Hunter, Pat Quinn etc.and the fact that the Well had beat Rangers 4 times in the one season.

The paper is probably in the bin by now, but may be lying about somewhere, so I'll have a scout about, in case there is anything else of interest.

Otherwise try and find Wednesday's copy of the Sun.

I remember his hattrick at Easter Roads, I was 11, it was a windy day, there was very fine ash round the pitch, when he scored I was jumping about, when my mother looked I was rubbing my face she thought I was greeting because he had scored and tried to console me, but I had bloody a ash in my eyes and they were red for days.

Sorry delete not working. :P

I used to go to Ian St John's soccer camps when I was younger. One year it was over at Pollock Park and I got a run over each morning with a guy that stayed next to my uncle (he was a referee but went over to do his trainer/physio). Anyway, on the way there we would pick up Denis Law from the Wickets hotel in Partick as he was one of the coaches. Looking back it was pretty cool!!!

That time I done the keeper coaching instead of the outfield just for a change and Denis put one of his famous bullet headers by me. I had nae chance!!! :D

The first year I went he practically knocked me out with a shot which cannoned off my napper!

The one I went to was at Scotstoun the first time, then it was at Pollock Park and then Jordanhill University. I think they still run the schools, cos in recent years I've seen banners up for them at the playing grounds at Anniesland near where I stay. Used to love going to them.

On the subject of Ian St John. I read his autiobiography recently not a bad book but teh man himself comes acrooss as an argumentative wee bastard who never got on with anyone. However that's not my point. In the book there is a picture from a floodlit match against Djurgaardens which the book claims was a Fairs Cup tie. Anyone shed any light on this as I believe our first match in Europe was in 1991 against Katowice?

He also should have played more for Scotland but I think his argumentative side put payed to that. Kris Boyd anyone?

Kris Boyd couldn't lace the Saint's boots.

The saint scored against the best in England and Scotland and the best defences in Europe. Kris Boyd is an SPL player, he can't and won't score at a higher level. What the numpties that support Rangers cant understand is they need a striker who can score in Europe AND against the likes of Falkirk if they are to progress. They need funds to purchase someone like that and the only player they can possibly raise those kind of funds from is Boyd, and that's only because someone has seen fit to give the idiot that is Alex McLeish some money to spend.