Celtic - Home 29th August - Discussion Thread

TAM

Changing focus from our Europa heartache back to the bread and butter SPL for this Sunday's match against Celtic.

Any views on team for Sunday - will Casagolda be brought in to freshen things up? Jennings will come back in for certain! will Reynolds still be here by then?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming no-one has left or arrived I reckon we'll make one or two changes to freshen things up for Sunday. Jennings will return and I'd have Lasley on the bench, seeing as he put in a real shift last night and will be knackered.

Up front I'd probably put Sutton on the bench, as he missed the Killie game with a virus so two games in four days might be too much. I would start Fitzpatrick to give us some extra legs in midfield.

So this would be my team and formation:

-----------------------------------Randolph----------------------------------------

Saunders------------------Craigan------------Reynolds----------------------Hammell

--------------------------Jennings-----------Fitzpatrick-----------------------------

Humphrey--------------------------Hateley----------------------------------Murphy

----------------------------------Blackman-----------------------------------------

Subs: Hollis, Sutton, Lasley, McHugh, Forbes, Page, Casagolda

Any positve result will do me, be it a win or a draw. We are capable of getting something, it just depends how both teams react to going out of Europe. More often than not catching either half of the bigots on the rebound is a bad thing, but maybe not on this occasion.

I'll say 1-1.

Actually fear a hiding after Smellics disaster last night they will be hell bent to bounce back convincingly to appease the great unwashed.

Would bite your hand off for a draw, but think it could be a 2 or 3 goal deficite.

Hope I'm proved wrong though....Moan the 'Well!

Sad but true as history dictates that those scum always bounce back from defeat with a decent win in the next game.

Still hopeful we will keep our heads high and try to get something from the game.

As has been said, Celtic will aiming to bounce right back from their Euro hiding and will almost certainly do so with a win against us on Sunday. We don't have the technical ability, the defence or the strike force to get a result from this game and if Celtic are in the mood they will beat us by five or six goals. If not, then it will be the usual tight scoreline where we'll fail to take any of the few chances we get whilst gifting them goals at the other end.

I fear a hiding on Sunday also but any sort of positive result will do. We put alot of energy into last night where Celtic probably didnt. That could tell on Sunday but if we start with a good strong tempo then it could be a good day for us.

I think we should rest Lasley and Sutton for the game. Will be good subs to have if we need to steady the ship for the last 20-25 minutes.

Randolph

Saunders Craigan Reynolds Hammell

Humphrey Hateley Jennings Fitzpatrick

Murphy Blackman

Exactly. Their defence is honking and their keeper is no better than ours, possibly worse.

I'd suggest they'll give a debut to the big guy on loan from Newcastle, had a great season with Norwich last year.

I fear a humping too. They always bounce back in the SPL from results like that in europe.Plus the effort we put in last night,our inability to take the chances we create and the fact were incapable of stopping goals at the other end mean its prob gonna be a hiding. Praying we can grind a draw or fluke a win tho

A win on Sunday would fair cheer me up but I can't see it. There's a school of though that playing the Old Firm after they have suffered a painful and/or heavy defeat is the worst time to play them and I half subscribe to that.

There's another belief that the law of averages dictates you get a win against them every now and then and it's been over 5 years since we last beat them at Fir park (Skippy Sunday) and part of me believes that also. We are long over due a win against them.

That said, we'll either get pumped or it will be close, we will get beat though. Our players will be probably be spent after last night and Celtic have too big a squad to call upon if theirs are in the same situation.

We don't have the technical ability, the defence or the strike force to get a result from this game and if Celtic are in the mood they will beat us by five or six goals.

Mental. Really mental.

How much of Celtic have you seen this season? How many times this season have Celtic looked genuinly impressive. I would say twice against a very weak St Mirren side and at home against Utrecht. Apart from that they have been total and utter shite.

Apart from our little blip against Hibs/Odense we have looked dangerous going forward and have been reasonably tight at the back. And could have won either of those games at home.

But coming from you we are technically inept to give Celtic a game.

Thank fuck you are not the manager.

EDIT - Remember also that Celtic have a total fanny running their club

like the look of yir elders team except i would maybe rest craigan for page.

a win would be lovely, a draw would be good bonus and a narrow defeat is more realistic.

hopefully the celtic fans will be on there own teams back from the start

Mon the 'Well

As long as we can overcome the prospect of mental and physical fatigue on the back of Thursday, I fully expect us to make a game of it on Sunday.

There has been abundance of great Motherwell Celtic games over the years, this could be another. Both defences are gash and despite our failings last night, both teams offer a decent threat going forward.

Mind when Strachan's team came to FP after being molested in Bratislava. They didn't exactly bounce back that day did they.

Randolph

Saunders Craigan Reynolds Hammell

Jennings Lasley

Humphrey Forbes Murphy

Blackman

Keep the same back five as Thursday for obvious reasons. Bring in Jennings for Hateley because i think a rest would do Hateley good and maybe remind him that he isn't guaranteed a start and so won't hide as much in matches.

Also think a rest for Sutton would do him good, and it's about time Forbes got a chance in the team so keeping in mind his lack of pace and engine i would play him just behind Blackman where he can do damge to teams in the last third but also have two sitting midfielders behind him to protect him.

My instructions to Murphy would be to make late runs from out wide to the far post when Humphrey is crossing the ball. Also tell Jennings and Lasley to show for the ball in midfield and not hide so that Saunders, Craigan etc don't have to resort to the long ball.

Going for 2-1 'well with Forbes and Murphy getting the goals :wallbash: