Clear Need Of Inventive Striker

Yoshi-1991

i know most people will turn round and say we have enough strikers but imo we need another striker, casagolda is somone who will take time to develope, blackman looks nervous any time he gets a chance to score, sutton is better with his head than his feet and i have to say that murphy looks like he has givin up a little bit recently (i still rate him though). i would say we need someone like we had with mcdonald and mccormack, somone who can play with their back to the goal and gets at defences with a bit of flare, i know we also need a winger but goals win games and strikers get goal.

not striker we need, its a left winger or attacking midfielder to create, the problem is Casagolda isnt up to speed and we have Sutton,Blackman + Murphy playing in the wide or creative roles. Bring in a dedicated creator and leave these guys to the striking role

We don't have the budget to get the inventive striker we would like to see.

However, I reckon we're actually missing Coke more than we are the others that we had last season. We badly lack a midfielder that doesn't take a nosebleed when he finds himself up with the strikers & can also pitch in with a few goals. Unfortunately these guys don't come along very often.

I said that after thurs, the amount of times Blackman + Sutton win the ball and we have no-one running on from midfield is unreal, Coke + JOB must be replaced if were to do anything this season,they may not have been world beaters but theyre the type of player weve been screaming out for in EVERY game weve played so far this season

Just can't agree with that. We have enough strikers at the club. Jeez we've just loaned one out. What we need is a decent creative passing midfielder who can also support the strikers and get beyond them now and again. Our midfield at present is poor - Jennings, Lasley and Hateley are all defensive midfielders. The sum total of goals between the three of them almost amounts to the square root of f*ck all.

Because we are incapable of playing the ball through the midfield we resort to two standard passes (always having to be made by defenders) one is a long hopeful punt up the middle and the other is a long hopeful punt to the wings. Our centres can't be expected to hold balls up that are whistling around and over their heads like howitzer shells and our winger's end product is very poor so both types of pass are an utter waste. Added to that our ball retention is dreadful - our players are always looking for a defence splitting pass instead of keeping the ball and working positions gradually.

So far from needing strikers I think what we really need to get is one or two midfielders who can provide the strikers with decent amunition.

Just can't agree with that. We have enough strikers at the club. Jeez we've just loaned one out. What we need is a decent creative passing midfielder who can also support the strikers and get beyond them now and again. Our midfield at present is poor - Jennings, Lasley and Hateley are all defensive midfielders. The sum total of goals between the three of them almost amounts to the square root of f*ck all.

Because we are incapable of playing the ball through the midfield we resort to two standard passes (always having to be made by defenders) one is a long hopeful punt up the middle and the other is a long hopeful punt to the wings. Our centres can't be expected to hold balls up that are whistling around and over their heads like howitzer shells and our winger's end product is very poor so both types of pass are an utter waste. Added to that our ball retention is dreadful - our players are always looking for a defence splitting pass instead of keeping the ball and working positions gradually.

So far from needing strikers I think what we really need to get is one or two midfielders who can provide the strikers with decent amunition.

What he said ! :whistling:

The problem is definitely the midfield.

Barring the 'hoof it up to Sutton' technique, the only other options we have is give it Humphrey to try and knock the ball beyond a defender (without booting it clean out the park) get to the byline and deliver a cross that lands somewhere in the penalty box. That doesn't happen half as much as it should.

The other is to give the ball to Jamie Murphy who will have to drop practically back to the half way line to collect it, and be expected to run through a wall of players.

We need players like Hammell to get beyond the midfield to give ourself any chance of getting bodies forward.

I also agree our midfield is the main issue as the trio of Hately, Lasley and Jennings are similar (defense minded, right sided, play breakers rather than creators, non-goal threats, SLOW). No wonder the back 4 are punting long balls so much!

McLean had us a successful, balanced midfield; davies dolan lambert...Dolan done the job our 3 are doing!

We need to stop filling positions with names and use the players for their respective roles if we are to get the best out this squad.

In relation to the talk about how poor the midfield is, what has happened to Tom Hateley?

Under Gannon last season he was picking up the ball from the defence and spreading the play. Whether it was a 5 yard pass sideways or a ball pinged out to the wing, his distribution was immaculate. Indeed, for much of the season he looked one of the most technically gifted players at the club.

He obviously struggled towards the end of last season and like many I put that down to fatigue and doubts over his future. Given that he signed a 3 year contract in the summer, I expected much more from him at the beginning of this season. Not sure if he is hampered by an injury, poor fitness or our style of play, but he looks a mile off the pace this season.

Anyway, I really hope we can get a midfielder in by Tuesday evening, whether it's a creative force in the middle of the park or someone who can offer us a bit of balance on the left, it would add a much needed new dimension to the team. If we do manage to get the midfield sorted out then I'm confident we will start to see the best from Sutton & Murphy.

The problem is definitely the midfield. Barring the 'hoof it up to Sutton' technique, the only other options we have is give it Humphrey to try and knock the ball beyond a defender (without booting it clean out the park) get to the byline and deliver a cross that lands somewhere in the penalty box. That doesn't happen half as much as it should. The other is to give the ball to Jamie Murphy who will have to drop practically back to the half way line to collect it, and be expected to run through a wall of players. We need players like Hammell to get beyond the midfield to give ourself any chance of getting bodies forward.

Hammell can actually play a bit, but problem again is no player on the left to back him up or cover.

In relation to the talk about how poor the midfield is, what has happened to Tom Hateley? Under Gannon last season he was picking up the ball from the defence and spreading the play. Whether it was a 5 yard pass sideways or a ball pinged out to the wing, his distribution was immaculate. Indeed, for much of the season he looked one of the most technically gifted players at the club. He obviously struggled towards the end of last season and like many I put that down to fatigue and doubts over his future. Given that he signed a 3 year contract in the summer, I expected much more from him at the beginning of this season. Not sure if he is hampered by an injury, poor fitness or our style of play, but he looks a mile off the pace this season. Anyway, I really hope we can get a midfielder in by Tuesday evening, whether it's a creative force in the middle of the park or someone who can offer us a bit of balance on the left, it would add a much needed new dimension to the team. If we do manage to get the midfield sorted out then I'm confident we will start to see the best from Sutton & Murphy.

Hately has been terrible in midfield with jennings and lasley, BUT gannon never play 2 of them together nevermind all 3!!

1. Casagolda.

2. If one of the dense c***s that plays with us actually goes to the back post for Humphrey's crosses then we'll be fine.

that just sums it up. And I was wondering where Craig and Archie were going wrong. Everybody to the back post when Humphrey gets the ball.

If Sutton was more up front that left mid he might get onto Humphreys crosses but aye why anyone even runs near post for them is a mystery. <_>

Casagolda might be pish, only 2nd hand opinion but heard he was ganting at Killie. Hopefully he will settle in and turn out to be good but he meant to be a striker anyway so be surprised if he sorts out our real problem of lacking a balanced midfield

perhaps one game they will all run to the back post only for the ball to be crossed to the near post :rolleyes:

We have been missing a regular goalscoring central midfield player for a long time now. Safety first football probably put an end to any ideas that the center of our midfield could be creative and be allowed to venture forward.

perhaps one game they will all run to the back post only for the ball to be crossed to the near post :whistling:

We have been missing a regular goalscoring central midfield player for a long time now. Safety first football probably put an end to any ideas that the center of our midfield could be creative and be allowed to venture forward.

Regular goalscoring central midfielders are a well sought after comodity. Thats why smaller clubs don't have them/can't hang onto them.