Anti Football.

Modernist

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if it's down to instructions from Craig Brown (known his style of play it's possible) but personally i think it's due to the midfield hiding all the time, especially Hateley. They rarely ever show for the ball when the defence have it resulting in the ball being punted up field for the strikers to live off the scraps.

Lasley wasn't hiding, but Hately has been anonymous all season. Only briefly in his time with us has he looked like a useful midfielder, under Gannon when the defenders seemed to be under instructions never to clear lines no matter what and all passes had to go through him. Looked fairly tidy with a decent range of passing before teams got wise to our tactics and he quickly disappeared and has never looked like a decent midfielder since. Had a decent run at full back before seemingly getting the idea he was wasted there.

But if we looked anti football it might be because we don't have a balanced midfield right now and if our only real attacking midfielder Hymphrey has an off day we do indeed look pretty laboured.

Yes if we dont get a midfielder who can link up with the strikers this season is going to be long ball crap till May. Im keeping my fingers crossed we can get at least one player in this week. If not it's going to be a miserable season. <_>

Sorry but Lasley has been poor for the last two games. Just because he runs about chasing things doesn't make him have a 'good shift', it makes his tired which was shown today seeing as he was blowing out his arse after 70 minutes.

Baws he was chasing things long after that including closing down their keeper/defenders after we were down to 10 men. At one point he looked around clearly exasperated at no one else was willing to keep going. Pointed out elsewhere he is no Zidane but he put in a solid all round performance today and not just running about like a daftie!

Sorry but that's just lies. Just re-watched the game and when Forbes comes on he's doubled-over gasping for breath, then again a few minutes later.He charged their keeper down because he was the furthest man forward, which in turn was only because he doesn't have the legs to get back in time.

Lasley has his weaknesses but he was head and shoulders above anyone today. Generally speaking mind you, he should only ever be playing a defensive role in midfield.

I do agree with the senitiments of anti-football. We played better stuff under Malpas FFS. There is no willingness to keep the ball. No wonder the players are knackered as it's all kick and rush. I've heard a few folk saying that we don't get the break of the ball. I'm afraid that happens more often than not when you are hitting hopeful balls up the park.

I’m not a fan of the long ball game, but equally the playing from the back Gannon style also had it’s problems, as we didn’t have the quality required for that type of game.

I’m not sure what the answer is, as today tired or not we were very, very poor. This Celtic team were humped 4-0 by an average Dutch side and it’s sad to say that outwith Rangers no other SPL side could inflict that sort of defeat on them.

The SPL table already has a familiar feel to it, with average Celtic and Rangers sides leading the way and the rest playing catch up.

comes back to the argument as fans would we rather win ugly playing anti football or lose playing nice football. Is the SPL really all about the result only and to hell with the performance?

Are modern day players lazy? Where did the one touch pass and move go? One of our players gets the ball, and his outlay is a hopeful punt up the park! Where are his colleagues? Modern players are ment to be fitter than ever before, yet one or even two cant get their erse into space for an out ball. Surely, the players cant be that low on confidence this early in the season, that they are hiding? After all, Gannon had them playing football until they all had a fall out.

If Lasley is out of breath it because he was about only one knocking his pan in. You run about way he does and see if you jogging about like you barely broken sweat deep into 2nd half of a game where your team is largely playing guff.

Getting himself out of breath no way means he was giving 100%. Chasing everything is never good, usually leads to being out of position, thus hindering the rest of the team.

Someone made a good point on thursday night, chasing the ball out for a throw in to the opposition when you're never going to catch it doesn't mean you're trying 100%, it just means you're stupid.

If Motherwell win the next 10 games 1-0 and play shite football I'll be a happy man!

As long as we win I couldn't care less about the performace! Do you think Inter fans cared about the boring fitba when they won the CL last year? Did they fuck !!

We wont and didn't today either. As for Inter fans I dont give a flying fuck. I'm a Dosser.

If Motherwell win the next 10 games 1-0 and play shite football I'll be a happy man!

As long as we win I couldn't care less about the performace! Do you think Inter fans cared about the boring fitba when they won the CL last year? Did they fuck !!

But we didn't win today, and i know it's early days but we haven't even looked like scoring against the better sides in the league so far.