Anti Football.

Modernist

We don't have the patience, inclination or understanding for any of that.

Ultimately I don’t think the players had the inclination. If Gannon was still our manager, ‘frozen out’ players like Lasley and Craigan would probably now be playing 1st Division football. I liked Jim as he was something a little bit different, in saying that I also like Lasley and Craigan. The difference is I didn’t need to work with him on a daily basis. His style was alien to us and Scottish football and we may have missed an opportunity to shake up the way Motherwell approach the game. Only time will tell if Jim Gannon achieves anything in the game or if he stay’s around long enough to see it through.

I suppose we will just need to wait for Flow’s autobiography to find out the truth why the Gannon was fired! :whistling:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst performance in a long, long time against a 'VERY' average Celtic team. Not a happy bunny with this long ball sh*te, been creeping in recently & the same on Thursday. Hopefully the transfer fairy will sort this out before Tuesday.

I think the midfield is causing the problems ,Lasley and Jennings are a couple of defensive midfielders who get stuck in but offer little in a creative sense ,Hatley has picked up where he finished last season contributing nothing to the team .Would it not have been better to bring in one or two midfielders rather than two strikers , I think McHugh ,Smith or Lawless could have come in and done a job up front. Think we could also give the young guy Jamie Pollock a run out he is the type of creative player were crying out for. Just have to put our trust in Craig[long baw] Broon and hope he can come up with something. Time will tell.

Ultimately I don't think the players had the inclination. If Gannon was still our manager, 'frozen out' players like Lasley and Craigan would probably now be playing 1st Division football. I liked Jim as he was something a little bit different, in saying that I also like Lasley and Craigan. The difference is I didn't need to work with him on a daily basis. His style was alien to us and Scottish football and we may have missed an opportunity to shake up the way Motherwell approach the game. Only time will tell if Jim Gannon achieves anything in the game or if he stay's around long enough to see it through.

I suppose we will just need to wait for Flow's autobiography to find out the truth why the Gannon was fired! :doh:

Jim Gannon . :whistling:

In the debate over winning games versus having a decent style of football to watch I'd much rather we played good football and the reason is simple. If we could win ugly enough to actually win some stuff that would be fantastic, but lets face it not gonna happen. Short of winning stuff I want the team I support to give me some degree of entertainment. I can enjoy a blood and snotters game as much as the next person but this is still a professional level, I expect a combination of decent touch, awareness and physical prowess to allow to have a team worth watching. If we ever get players that combine all of the above I don't expect them to stay particuarly long. And if we ever look in danger of relegation I also don't object to winning ugly.

Getting back to the current team I'm quite happy to have Lasley and Jennings in the middle of the park, both are good solid players that get stuck in and ability on the ball is good enough to keep it simple and tidy. But we need players with more creativity for them to link up with. Humphrey has pace, that's a start. He's raw and gonna have off days like yesterday. On the other side of the midfield we don't really have anything, so far strikers pushed out of position mainly. And Hately is doing next to nothing, so we have an unbalanced shape to the team right now.

Get in a decent left sided mid, maybe Alan Gow but someone that knows the position and has a wee bit more licence to create than just work hard but who will also protect full back.

Well both players have managed to sustain a career in SPL for most of their careers so I guess it isn't their level. They've both been part of decent Motherwell teams that have been top half of the table on a good few occasions and Craigan has had a decent international career where against real top level opponents he's never let himself down. So again they might not be super stars but they are good players and some fans are far to quick to run down their own players when things aren't going well. Hell even when we win we usually still have at least one scapegoat to stick the boot into!

Baws he was chasing things long after that including closing down their keeper/defenders after we were down to 10 men. At one point he looked around clearly exasperated at no one else was willing to keep going. Pointed out elsewhere he is no Zidane but he put in a solid all round performance today and not just running about like a daftie!

Dead right, I get more than a little pissed off at the stick Lasley gets.

He works his socks off and shows consistently how anyone can accuse of him of hiding I'll never understand.

Dead right, I get more than a little pissed off at the stick Lasley gets.

He works his socks off and shows consistently how anyone can accuse of him of hiding I'll never understand.

Work rate . . . . . . tick

refusal to hide . . . . . . tick

Stupid fouls . . . . . tick

steelmenonline man-love . . . . . . tick

Effectiveness . . . . . . erm - not tick

100% correct.

Folk love the fact that he throws himself into hearty tackles all over the park. While most are obviously trying to hide their trooser bulge - I manage to keep my eyes on the on field action where the opposition tend to be running away with the ball while Las is getting back up from the deck

Work rate . . . . . . tick

refusal to hide . . . . . . tick

Stupid fouls . . . . . tick

steelmenonline man-love . . . . . . tick

Effectiveness . . . . . . erm - not tick

Hit the nail on the head there spot on.

I'm going to get pelters for this comment, but I still think we played better stuff in the early days of Jim Gannon. That football was lovely to watch and has us all filled with optimisim. This was because we didnt have Craigan driving his diagonal long balls into the crowd :)

I'm going to get pelters for this comment, but I still think we played better stuff in the early days of Jim Gannon. That football was lovely to watch and has us all filled with optimisim. This was because we didnt have Craigan driving his diagonal long balls into the crowd :)
No pelters from me. While I'm generally not in favour of Directors of Football or whatever, I think Gannon at the helm with a Craig Brown figure to advise along the way, might have worked out well for us. (If Gannon's ego didn't get in the way).

I said at the time Brown was appointed that I thought it was an excellent short term idea, but wasn't convinced it was ideal for the longer term. It's still early days in this season's SPL, so I'm still pretty open minded about it. Open minded, but not yet convinced.

I think anti-football is a bit harsh when discussing yesterday, Modernist. It wasn't beautiful to watch, sure, but that was due to both teams, not just a consequence of Motherwell trying to spoil the game. The only difference for me was that Celtic had a couple of players in Maloney and McCourt who can beat a man and make something happen, whilst Well struggled for creativity. Can such a player be found at the right price?

I think anti-football is a bit harsh when discussing yesterday, Modernist. It wasn't beautiful to watch, sure, but that was due to both teams, not just a consequence of Motherwell trying to spoil the game. The only difference for me was that Celtic had a couple of players in Maloney and McCourt who can beat a man and make something happen, whilst Well struggled for creativity. Can such a player be found at the right price?

Stop being pretentious.

I think the midfield is causing the problems ,Lasley and Jennings are a couple of defensive midfielders who get stuck in but offer little in a creative sense ,Hateley has picked up where he finished last season contributing nothing to the team .Would it not have been better to bring in one or two midfielders rather than two strikers , I think McHugh ,Smith or Lawless could have come in and done a job up front. Think we could also give the young guy Jamie Pollock a run out he is the type of creative player were crying out for. Just have to put our trust in Craig[long baw] Broon and hope he can come up with something. Time will tell.

You have got it 100% correct. If we could have the Hately of early last year back. He would be a useful member of that midfield. But sadly he seems to have lost his way at the present.

The answer was to take whatever came our way results wise for a season or two on the chin and work with young players to build that experience and quality up. :)

We don't have the patience, inclination or understanding for any of that.

Hallelujah to that!! The Jim Gannon debate has been done to death but he got me interested in the Scottish game again. He is the only person in the Scottish game who has offered anything different for the last umpty tumpt years. It did not work maybe partly because of the man himself but he had a hell of a lot to fight against.

Craig Brown is fine for us. He will steer us in the calm mediocre waters but he will offer nothing that has not been seen before in the game in this country. Where would Steven Saunders be at this moment as a player if Gannon had stayed? What about Forbes, Hateley, all three played their best football under Gannon. Unfortunately at the moment these players are going backwards.

Jim Gannon was an experiment that did not work. I genuinely believe he could have been the saviour of Scottish Football had he had the temprement and diplomacy to put his thoughts into action. It was a sad day when Stephen Craigan won out over the big guy. That is just my opinion.

Hallelujah to that!! The Jim Gannon debate has been done to death but he got me interested in the Scottish game again. He is the only person in the Scottish game who has offered anything different for the last umpty tumpt years. It did not work maybe partly because of the man himself but he had a hell of a lot to fight against.

Craig Brown is fine for us. He will steer us in the calm mediocre waters but he will offer nothing that has not been seen before in the game in this country. Where would Steven Saunders be at this moment as a player if Gannon had stayed? What about Forbes, Hateley, all three played their best football under Gannon. Unfortunately at the moment these players are going backwards.

Jim Gannon was an experiment that did not work. I genuinely believe he could have been the saviour of Scottish Football had he had the temprement and diplomacy to put his thoughts into action. It was a sad day when Stephen Craigan won out over the big guy. That is just my opinion.

Jim Gannon was an arrogant bastard of a man whose training methods gave us a team who ran out of steam after an hour, and he himself ran out of Ideas when other teams got the measure of his style of play.

Probablly our first choice right back, where he is now.

Where would Steven Saunders be at this moment as a player if Gannon had stayed? What about Forbes, Hateley, all three played their best football under Gannon. Unfortunately at the moment these players are going backwards.

Probablly our first choice right back, where he is now.

naw, yassin viewtoakill was right back and gannon loved his gung ho style.

and this is a lot of pish

Possibly the most mental thing I've ever read on here.