Vs Brechin 21/09/2010

Finlay

From the groans and abuse I heard last night I think I may be on my own on this one, but I thought Forbes looked very promising in that position.

He played four or five very clever balls, some out wide, one through the middle for Gow to set up his jinking run, and a number of simpler ones slid to Blackman. Unfortunately Blackman had a bit of a shocker in the wider position and took every opportunity to run straight into his man.

If given a run in the team in that position in the hole behind the striker(s) Forbes will really come on to a game, the only problem being if 2 or 3 of his passes don't come off the crowd start losing the plot.

the problem i have with that, is that i would have rather seen Gow in that position and see McHugh or someone else given a try up top. If we are going to get the best out of Gow, he needs to be on the ball. Playing a little deeper than a front man will see him get that and hopefully his craft will see him create/score some goals

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem i have with that, is that i would have rather seen Gow in that position and see McHugh or someone else given a try up top. If we are going to get the best out of Gow, he needs to be on the ball. Playing a little deeper than a front man will see him get that and hopefully his craft will see him create/score some goals

Fair enough, and that may well be Gow's best position.

But from my recollection he can also play attacking left midfield which is a position we are lacking in. From what we've seen so far, Forbes can't play there, and from last nights performance Blackman certainly can't.

Just a thought, but when we've been lacking creation for a while now, why not try Gow from the left and Forbes in the hole.

When's the draw?

2pm on thurs for the draw

So we have a live Cup game on 'cooncil' tele tonight yet instead of having the draw straigh after it they have it organised at 2pm the next day. Seriously why?

Not long in from the game, felt underwhelmed with that win tonight but its the cup and aslong as you win thats all that matters. Brechin deserved abit more than what they got but I'm sure we'll all happily have the clean sheet and the victory :cheers: A home draw against anyone apart from the old firm will do me.

Agreed.

Brown is getting us some good results but it is turgid stuff to watch at the moment.

Brown is getting us some good results but it is turgid stuff to watch at the moment.

i missed the last two games but surely it isn't that bad? the celtic and kilmarnock games were poor fare but when we've had all our main players and proper prepartion there's been some decent stuff played.

wee brown hasn't let us down so far, hopefully this will mimic what happened in march when we played a weakened team during the week and were poor then came out and battered hearts on the saturday.

after a nervous summer i'd say things have turned out as well as we could have hoped. played 12, won 6, lost 4, drawn 2. scored 14, conceded 9 with 6 clean sheets. we're in the next round of the cup and have had as good a start in the league as any of our rivals.

that's pretty decent without even going into any hard luck stories, we should probably be creating and scoring more but murphy, blackman and humphrey are all improving and i think that'll come. if we stay lucky with injuries i think we'll have a right good season.

My biggest concern is that the performances are far from inspiring at the moment and I would argue that we have not seen a commanding 45 mins from Well yet this season (possibly Hibs 1st half apart but then 1-1 at Half time is not commanding).

Comes down to the old debate about results against performance but personally my interest levels have increased in recent years when under McGhee and for a time Gannon we were making the effort to play the game on the deck.

Not throwing in the towel just yet but if this is the level of entertainment for the rest of the season my attendance ratio for the season will drop dramatically. Yes I know that makes me a bad fan and all that horseshit but for me the game is about entertainment as much as it is about loyalty and so far this season the entertainment and spark has been lacking.

My biggest concern is that the performances are far from inspiring at the moment and I would argue that we have not seen a commanding 45 mins from Well yet this season (possibly Hibs 1st half apart but then 1-1 at Half time is not commanding).

Comes down to the old debate about results against performance but personally my interest levels have increased in recent years when under McGhee and for a time Gannon we were making the effort to play the game on the deck.

Not throwing in the towel just yet but if this is the level of entertainment for the rest of the season my attendance ratio for the season will drop dramatically. Yes I know that makes me a bad fan and all that horseshit but for me the game is about entertainment as much as it is about loyalty and so far this season the entertainment and spark has been lacking.

Nah the games about stats :cheers:

I agree with your post star sail.

Others can dress it up and deflect in as many ways as they like - It's been dire so far in terms of entertainment so far.

We're capable of getting the ball on the deck and playing some excellent stuff - we've done it in flashes.

I understand that you need to go long on occasion (it can't ALWAYS be on the deck) - but no one will convince me that this isn't a definitive change in philosophy.

I'm questioning whether the old season ticket dosh could've been used elsewhere and that really is pish

Steelboy it is just the way I see it this season. The only game I have missed since we kicked off in Brechin in July was our game in Norway. I am happy with how things are going results wise but I'm certainly not being entertained. Can't think of one really great overall performance. Again, I know it is still esrly days but the amount of long balls played last night from the back four was incredible. The number of which ended up in Brechin's possession was high. I'd like to have seen bettet football against lower league opposition especially.

In saying that the main thing is we are through. Just a shame we can't do it just now in a way that I believe the team are capable of playing.

we were pretty lucky not to concede and it was a bit worrying a 2nd division side created much more than we did. They had about half a dozen really good chances and only a combination of very good goalkeeping, last minute challenges and poor finishing prevented them from scoring.

We were poor again last night and dispayed a lack of creativity, lack of leadership and lack of pace. In the first half we had loads of pressure but created little against a packed and determined rearguard. The lack of pace and creativity in central midfield was particularly evident. We have no option other than attack up the wings where we do have some pace.

The second half was even worse with Brechin putting us under the cosh and finding gaps in our packed defence all over the place. Very concerning as you say. They created at least 5 good chances and fortunately for us Randolph was in excellent form.

Alan Gow was out of position - he's a winger or inside left, not an out and out striker. We stiil can't find the right tactics up front and the midfield is completely unbalanced. The game passed Keith Lasley and Ross Forbes completely by and they were humbled by lower division opponents, but its wrong to single them out for our failings. Apart from Darren Randolph the star of the show was Jonathan Page, who showed great character as well as ability. If he can maintain that form then he'll be our first choice left back.

I thought we might have changed things around a bit when we were under pressure in the 2nd half and chasing a second goal. Route 1 was our only option last night and I think taking off Lasley or Forbes and putting on Sutton earlier, with Gow moving to the wing would have paid dividends.

Still we're through.

Oh, and we can add Glebe Park Brechin to the list of pitches that would need levelling if the SFA get their way. The surface was unbelievable.

Steelboy it is just the way I see it this season. The only game I have missed since we kicked off in Brechin in July was our game in Norway. I am happy with how things are going results wise but I'm certainly not being entertained. Can't think of one really great overall performance. Again, I know it is still esrly days but the amount of long balls played last night from the back four was incredible. The number of which ended up in Brechin's possession was high. I'd like to have seen bettet football against lower league opposition especially.

when i've seen our first XI properly prepared for a game - aalesunds at home, odense xs 2, hibs and st johnstone - i think they've been quite impressive and we made our fair share of chances in those games and played the ball on the deck.

i wasn't at the aberdeen or brechin games but the poor performaces against celtic and killie were completely understandable imo due to the circumstances. it's fair enough to say we should play some decent football at brechin but with our squad being so thin beggars can't be choosers.

The problem with the lower league teams is they will kick the hell out of you for 90 minutes.

The second the lower league teams try to match the opposition with football they normally lose, if however they played there normal game they might of won.

Point of fact is that we are through to Thurs lunchtime draw.

Young page shone in an otherwise shoddy game, i reckon he is worth a start spot Sat surely.

Little unlucky for GOW that his run out came across Brechin, any teams further up the pyramid would of suited him more. Ah well there will be a few bruises on the training field today thats for sure.

when i've seen our first XI properly prepared for a game - aalesunds at home, odense xs 2, hibs and st johnstone - i think they've been quite impressive and we made our fair share of chances in those games and played the ball on the deck.

i wasn't at the aberdeen or brechin games but the poor performaces against celtic and killie were completely understandable imo due to the circumstances. it's fair enough to say we should play some decent football at brechin but with our squad being so thin beggars can't be choosers.

Not sure what you mean there steelboy. We had a good team out last night and could easily have played a different style of football and (I'm sure) get the same result. Our 'thin squad' shouldn't have a bearing on the style of football we play especially considering we only have one regular first team player (Hammell) out with injury. If we can't play a better style now then what chance have we got when winter kicks in, pitches are cutting up, first team players are out injured/suspended and so on.

Imo we have been playing the long ball football a great deal more since Blackman joined us. Not that I'm blaming him but with Sutton up there as well it seems like a chosen route. If this style continues and we keep picking up points I WILL accept it. I won't be as entertained but the results will be what matters. Greater good and all that. If we don't then people with the same thoughts as myself will get that bit less from watching Motherwell at the moment.

I enjoyed the football more under McGhee and Gannon more. If Brown can take us further than McGhee did with this style then go for it.

Jonathan Page, who showed great character s well as ability. If he can maintain that form then he'll be our first choice left back.

Naw. If he has a left foot worth talking about he was doing a good job of hiding it. Two or three times Hammell would've whipped a cross in Page was trying his hardest to get it back on his right.

do you honestly think that's a strong team?

page, saunders, forbes, humphrey and blackman are all young guys who are trying to establish themselves as regular starters at the club. hateley has to prove he can cut it in centre mid outside of gannon's 5 man midfield. gow was starting his first game in 6 months. you could argue we had 4 or 5 players out of position, not what i would describe as strong.

Naw. If he has a left foot worth talking about he was doing a good job of hiding it. Two or three times Hammell would've whipped a cross in Page was trying his hardest to get it back on his right.

They're different kinds of player though. Jon Page is the better defender of the two. OK Stevie Hammell is more of a creator on the ball but Jon Page is the better finisher.

Its early days for JP certainly but I think Stevie Hammell could now face some much needed competition for the LB slot.

It's a decent debate and one I feel that will run until the end of the season. Arguably the best we have played is the 1st half v Hibs and we lost that game.

I think we will be ok this season but we are probably too inconsistent to mount a top 4 challenge. My concern is the 1st 10 minutes of the second half where v Aberdeen we sat back and let them score the equaliser before we started playing again. By the sounds of things we did exactly the same last night and with a bit of quality Brechin should have scored.

I look forward to the time we come out after HT and press the game. When that happens we will probably be behind.....

Still I would take points over style and substance. I would like both but that looks like being a rarity this season.

And on top of the long ball pish therein lies problem number 2.

A stupid habit inhereted from Andy Roxburgh

how many players did we actually have available to start last night though? i make it we had 12 outfield players available for 10 places considering the players we wanted to rest, were injured and are mystery cypriots.

I said good steelboy not strong. Remember the quality of the opposition we were up against. However regardless of the strength of our team they are pros and should be able to play a passing style of football. I think they can. I think they are being instructed to go route one.

Not sure what you mean there steelboy. We had a good team out last night and could easily have played a different style of football and (I'm sure) get the same result. Our 'thin squad' shouldn't have a bearing on the style of football we play especially considering we only have one regular first team player (Hammell) out with injury. If we can't play a better style now then what chance have we got when winter kicks in, pitches are cutting up, first team players are out injured/suspended and so on.

Imo we have been playing the long ball football a great deal more since Blackman joined us. Not that I'm blaming him but with Sutton up there as well it seems like a chosen route. If this style continues and we keep picking up points I WILL accept it. I won't be as entertained but the results will be what matters. Greater good and all that. If we don't then people with the same thoughts as myself will get that bit less from watching Motherwell at the moment.

I enjoyed the football more under McGhee and Gannon more. If Brown can take us further than McGhee did with this style then go for it.

Agree with the former especially the first season but with Gannon the quality dried up by October and we were possibly as turgid to watch as the team under Malpas, well almost.

So far this season we've been so so, lacking real creative spark but that is as much to do with the playes we've had available as anything else. Hopefully a match fit gow will provide a bit more creative impetus.

Agree about Gannon, Malky. That is why I left his name out of the second sentence. The early days were good though....apart from things starting from the keeper. Maybe Brown feels we are weaker. Maybe he feels managers have sussed us out. Either way we play differently now than we did in April etc.

Not as good? Sussed out? Possibly both imo.

The problem with the lower league teams is they will kick the hell out of you for 90 minutes.

The second the lower league teams try to match the opposition with football they normally lose, if however they played there normal game they might of won.

I certainly didn't see Brechin kicking us off the park although the tight park meant that players of both sides were closed down very quickly. They may have sat back when we had the ball more than they normally do but they created a lot more than we did by playing the ball on the deck. At times they more than matched us with football and were very unlucky not to score in doing so.

They're different kinds of player though. Jon Page is the better defender of the two. OK Stevie Hammell is more of a creator on the ball but Jon Page is the better finisher.

Its early days for JP certainly but I think Stevie Hammell could now face some much needed competition for the LB slot.

Scoring a couple of headers against a second division team doesn't really define him as a better finisher, Page's marker lost him far too easily on just about every corner. I'm not saying he's nae good, I just think you're being a bit hasty. Hammell is regularly underrated on here. I struggle to think of many better in the SPL. Dixon, Wallace, Papac and that boy thats not Mulgrew at Celtic are the only ones that spring to mind. Plus, Page is a centre-half, no?

I certainly didn't see Brechin kicking us off the park although the tight park meant that players of both sides were closed down very quickly. They may have sat back when we had the ball more than they normally do but they created a lot more than we did by playing the ball on the deck. At times they more than matched us with football and were very unlucky not to score in doing so.

They didn't kick us off the part but offered virtually nothing in the first half. 11 men in their own half for forty five minutes then, in fairness, had a bit more of a go in the second half. We were forced to go and push the game and frankly, we don't have the players to pick a team apart. Who cares, a win.