Motherwell V St Mirren Sat 02/10/2010

Tartan Copper

Get real man all this attractive fitba pish winning is everything

I can assure you it isn't.

We were good in spells today - but I'd rather be watching the young team Butcher had post administration - getting humped every other week than a re-run of the Hibs, Celtic or Aberdeen games from this season.

It's good to be a well fan when we're high up the league. But if the fitbas pish we'll end up sitting in the house / pub - watching Sky Sports News or Teletext wi our fingers crossed for another point or two

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty pleased with the result today, we were all over them first 20 minutes or so, thought we'd be out of sight but it wasn't to be. My pal's a st mirren fan and was in the south stand today said they made us look like Arsenal. Bit flattering but we CAN put some decent stuff together. In the end I think we tried to be too fancy today and walk it in when we could have torn them apart just by going straight through the middle of them. Murphy was pretty decent if quiet but Hately, Blackman and Lasley were poor I think. The midfield kept seeming to disappear especially when the ball was being punted out by the keepers. Hopefully we'll get the tactics sorted for the Rangers game otherwise they could do horrible things to us.

Nice entertaiing football is pretty to watch, but it's not going to get us into Europe or away from the drop. Each to their own I guess, but for me, this has got us to third and I'd have it every week. Winning in football is everything, it's a results-driven business. Ask Hibs fans.

Nice entertaiing football is pretty to watch, but it's not going to get us into Europe or away from the drop. Each to their own I guess, but for me, this has got us to third and I'd have it every week. Winning in football is everything, it's a results-driven business. Ask Hibs fans.

+1

If we had finished off one of the moves we had in the first 30 mins then the match reports could have been a lot different. Our main priority has to be making our possesion count as every team in the league will have a spell of pressure against us and at 1-0 we are always going to be dodgy

I don't think we're boring to watch but it might just be me. We tore Hearts a new arse last week. AND got a result.

I thought today was the poorest I've seen us this season but I don't get this either.

We've not hit any great heights but at the same time I don't think we've been poor or boring either over the season.

Sometimes we seem to lack a little cutting edge but I think the team are trying to play the right way but we have a small and inexperienced squad and it's not always going to work out perfectly.

This time last season we had 6 goals from open play, this season we have 9. Last season we scored in open play in 4 out of 7, this season 6 out of 7.

The only really 'pish' performance that sticks out in my mind under Brown (and I only see home matches) was the 1-0 defeat to Falkirk last season.

We weren't great today but maybe a little perspective is needed. To do that just remember back to St. Johnstone thumping us at home in Jim Gannon's last match as manager. Much worse than anything that's happened at Fir Park since.

I know he is the pantomime villain on here, but McGhee showed you could play good football and finish high up the league. I still don't understand why people think you have to give up winning by playing good football.

Only Motherwell fans can moan about beating St Mirren 3-1 FFS.

Were no playing nice stuff....I prefer when we were playing back when we were bottom of the league .....honest to god. We are 3rd and for the most part have played some very decent footie this season. Only last week we handed out a footballing lesson to Hearts at tynecastle.

If you want to win every week and watch great football I suggest you go an support Chelsea who have a Billionaire owner and crowds of 40k week in week out. A little perspective please.

Today we played well fro about 30mins. In fact there was only one team in the game. Then we took our foot off the gas and let St Mirren back into the game. Pretty much the same way we did for Aberdeen. Then we played quite poorly for the bulk of the second half. But how many times have we seen us lose games like today.

I will take the 3 points, be happy and enjoy the weekend.

I can assure you it isn't.

We were good in spells today - but I'd rather be watching the young team Butcher had post administration - getting humped every other week than a re-run of the Hibs, Celtic or Aberdeen games from this season.

It's good to be a well fan when we're high up the league. But if the fitbas pish we'll end up sitting in the house / pub - watching Sky Sports News or Teletext wi our fingers crossed for another point or two

Some good things and bad things today, but the main thing was the three points, which we kinda stole! Mind you, both Hibs and Aberdeen stole points from us so today was our turn.

We made a tremendous start and could've been three up, but as we fell out the game it could've been all square at the break. Second half was disappointing for the most part, although we did dig in well at times when we were under pressure.

That said, we allowed them too much room and gave them too much territory, and we failed to use the ball well for much of the half. Mind you we did finish strongly to claim the win, but it wasn't a great showing and a better side would've taken advantage.

We did win though, and we now sit proudly in third place!

Made a Rodger Hunt of my first reply, never mind.

Mr Diggle on the whole ussually does have wise words but have to disagree with the unattractive football would drive supporters to sit and watch it on Sky, i think attractive football and staring relegation in the face would drive more punters away.

We are all supporters of Motherwell but we all have differing ideas, opinions and thoughts on what we expect when we turn out to view our favourites, we may all be M/Well fans but we certainly do not watch the same games.

FWIW i think that under Mr Broon and co it is still very much a work in progress at the moment, at times things look good and at times we look disjointed, i think we are doing ok ( as our league position suggests ) but i think when he finds the correct personnel and playing them in their best positions we will improve and it could bring exciting times but then again it might not!!!!

Slightly off topic, thought Jenno was outstanding again today but whan it comes to man of the match if Craigan only made the half time draw he would still get votes.

IMHO some people need to get a sense of perspective on how the team fare in the league .

I started a thread when the european run came to an end regarding floating supporters , but after seeing todays attendance of roughly 4300 it is obvious that only hardened 'well fans are interested in coming to watch us on a wet October afternoon .

There are 5 or 6 teams in the league with far more financial resources than us , yet some people are unhappy with an admittedly uninspiring 3 - 1 win , which keeps us 3rd in the table .

We are Motherwell , and a top 6 finish and a decent cup run , wi' a wee Hampden appearance every few years is all I hope and wish for at the start of every season . Anyone who expects anything more is clearly following the wrong team .

Get behind the team , every win , no matter how it is achieved , is a good win . If we manage another wee European jaunt next year , I doubt anyone will complain how the points were won that got us there .

...after seeing todays attendance of roughly 4300 it is obvious that only hardened 'well fans are interested in coming to watch us on a wet October afternoon.

I'd say it has more to do with who has £18 - £22 to spunk away on every fitba match. Not all of us have these days and some of them have endured worse (in a footballing sense) over the years than a third placed 'Well side playing the bottom team... on a wet October afternoon.

You could see today at the start of the game St Mirren looked like a team who had taken on half a dozen boys out the 2nd div. We ssemed to be carving them open at will 1st twenty mins, Then we seemed to go back in our shell. A wins a win but all in all Scottish football is in a pretty unhealth state at the moment. You def could not call that value for money.

The fact is that if we'd turned up for the Aberdeen and Hibs games the way we did for the first 25minutes today then we'd be sitting with 18 points not 13.

Mr Diggle, I normally agree with what you raise, but c'mon, are you being serious here?

From your own statement, we couldn't even turn up for a full 90 minutes against a significantly poorer team than either Aberdeen or Hibs...so (performance wise) if we can't see it through against St. Mirren, why are we expected to beat Aberdeen or Hibs at home?

From your previous posts, I'm guessing your slightly older than me and it's not all that long ago I was MORE than happy at a 2nd or 3rd from bottom finish in the league.

I know he is the pantomime villain on here, but McGhee showed you could play good football and finish high up the league. I still don't understand why people think you have to give up winning by playing good football.

1. mcghee played good football because he inherited mccormack and boyle shelled out for hughes and porter.

2. what is easily forgotten is that in 07/08.... we had jammy wins against gretna and ict at the start. we had a nightmare in the monday night home game game to hearts then got beat by a craigan og in galeforce wind in the 2nd home game. we took 1 point out of 9 in 3 miserable games against falkirk. we lost two horrible games at tannadice. we missed a pen and ended up drawing at pittodrie when it was minus 5. we got beat on a wednesday night at easter road where we never made a chance in the entire game.

if you look back through that season we put in 8 or 9 great performances out of 38. pretty similar to what we're doing the now.

If you want to win every week and watch great football I suggest you go an support Chelsea who have a Billionaire owner and crowds of 40k week in week out. A little perspective please.

exactly.

if you're not happy with our best start to a season in 15 years then you probably need to find a new team.

Not a great performance in the main but 3pts and 3rd in the league, see if some could open their mouths without feckin slagging the team they would have f**k all to say.

Exactly...regardless of what anyone says, football is a POINTS and not a PERFORMANCE based industry...

If we were to kick the ball around Spanish "tippy tappy" style and get pumped every other game, you know fine well there will be countless threads on here moaning about it...

Exactly...regardless of what anyone says, football is a POINTS and not a PERFORMANCE based industry...

If we were to kick the ball around Spanish "tippy tappy" style and get pumped every other game, you know fine well there will be countless threads on here moaning about it...

And here was me thinking football was an ENTERTAINMENT based industry.

Not a great performance in the main but 3pts and 3rd in the league

At the start of the season, how many fans would have bit your hand off for us to be in this position?

Let's hope we can still be there after the next 2 tricky fixures.

I think its safe to assume everyone would like to see us play great entertaining stuff AND get the points.

but I think you have to do whats needed to get the points while you work on prettying up the football. if you don't manage that by end of season at least you have a shit load of points.

if you stay with the pretty stuff and work on getting the points and you don't manage that by the end of the season, your pretty footballing arses are relegated.

Its like the need to work on defence first before attack so you can at least keep yourself in a game.

Happy with the 3 points even tho it wasx not the best game and i will take that every time. 1 thing from yesterday tho John Boyle turned up at the end of the east stand half way through the game yesterday. I dont know if it was to get out the rain or what but it was weird him standing about behind me.