Craig Brown Enters The 'atmosphere At Fir Park' Debate

Steve Diggle

Question: how are folk meant to get songs out there if not by singing them?

e.g the recently popular version of he's only on loan, kicked of with a car load on the way to an away game

Don't know about anyone else, but I can hardly make out what they're saying, so any chance of joining in is gone straight away.

e.g If I cany hear what's being chanted, I'm not likely to join in with said chant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking the other day, after the Hearts match actually so a while ago now that it really is strange how Fir Park is so quiet most games.

I personally thought the guys at Tynecastle did a good job of creating some atmosphere.

I think obviously the trouble is that everyone is scattered around so much at home that the togetherness feeling is harder to generate. The south stand end of the east stand is the only part of the ground that really sings consistently, the Cooper where I sit generally only sings after a goal, or otherwise during some sort of exerted pressure, scintillating passage of football etc which to be fair you can go a whole game without seeing.

The introduction of standing areas could be a great idea in re-generating atmosphere but until then I still feel that with the 5000 in there we are sitting on a bit of sleeping giant, albeit a small one.

Would the idea of a network of people dedicated to creating a good atmosphere strategically positioned around the ground maybe be an idea?

If we could link up the areas in the ground with people who are prepared to start the songs and keep going perhaps this could work. The key is the fans who are almost too lazy/reluctant/don't want to sing when there aren't many singing(can hear their own voice). I know I've been one of them, as the whole silence from most of the stadium is like a silent force, never the less saying "sssshhhhhh!"

If we could get these people joining in then theoretically we could have most of the stadium singing regularly.

How much of the poor atmosphere these days is down to the habits that we have got into where we are almost lazy in regards to atmosphere at games?

Habits can be changed but they need to be worked at regularly. We need a bit of positivity.

Lets hope also that the people who are talikng about changing Scottish football actually listen to the fans in regards to standing areas and the much talked about over-zealous stewarding.

I honestly think the only reason the atmosphere was any good at hearts is cos we had the metal back of the stand to bang on!, was only really 2 dozen folk singing most of the time. On the subject of improving atmosphere, allowing flags in would be a good wee gesture to start with. :notworthy:

When the fence came down and the seats went into the Shed it was the beginning of the end of atmosphere at Fir Park. I went from standing with fellow 'lads' on the half-way line to sitting next to my old school teacher, a BB officer and a horde of middle aged men not interested in generating any sort of atmosphere .... and why should they ?

When FP was 3 sides terracing everyone had their oplace to go and stand. If you wanted to give it large you went up to the fence, if you wanted a quiter life you stood further away and if you were for some strange reason taking yer new burd, (or offspring), you stood behind the goals .......... everyone had their area and was happy.

When the seats went in, Chapman and Dickie and MFC didn't think it thru.

I had one season in the East Stand, hated it so much, so then moved to the Knowetop Ave terrace, then when that shut I went into the Main Stand enclosure (Our Last Stand), as we called it. Finally, with no option to stand it was the Cooper for us ..... sitting with a tilted neck in that dreich dank cavern.

If and when MFC do move, I really hope Mr Boyle stands by his words, (following his visit to Norway), and creates a segmented arena, one where like minded people have their own area to occupy without the threat of annoying/disturbing others close by.

As for songs, they used to be pen'd in someone's bedroom, several copies hand-written and passed amongst those on the bus to away games, rehearsed on the way and sung in situ. They were basic, they were easy to remember and repeat and by the end of an away game we had a new anthem to take back to FP and spread amongst our fellow Shed regulars.

The mechanism may have changed over the years but if yer not prepared to get up off yer arse and make the effort to lend yer support then keep it shut and stop criticising others that do.