League Re-construction?

weesacs

One of the guys I work with is a St Midden fan - he tells me that he's heard a snippet that the SPL is to be extended at the end of this season to 16 teams.

The split will still exist, except it will be : play each team twice, then 7 games after the split. With the introduction of relegation plus a playoff

I had a few questions like, I thought they had to have more than a seasons notice period for such a change

How would all the teams agree to this when more than half would lose OF revenue

He couldnt answer those questions, as he was only passing on what he has been told - but he also mentioned it was another reason why the Saints went for Lennon - they had a feeling they would be fighting relegation this season, but with "no relegation" on the cards it gives him a year to build a squad

Thoughts? Bullshit?? Anyone think its a goer???

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a tiny wee snippet in the record (I think) last week. Apparently all 12 clubs are attending a restructuring meeting with the SPL in December with a 16 team league to be the main proposal. It needs a vote of 11/1 and can be implemented next season.

here's a bit on the stv site...

Decision soon on 16 team SPL

SPL clubs will decide before Christmas whether or not to back the well documented proposals to expand the SPL to 16 teams. There has been much talk of reinventing Scotland’s top division but it now seems as though a final decision will be made in the coming months.

Neil Doncaster, the SPL’s chief executive, believes that drastic changes are needed to the current format if the trend of major financial loss is to be reversed.

He is expected to ask for the support of all SPL clubs to shake up Scottish football and improve the rapidly worsening European co-efficient.

Doncaster said: “The plan will be put to our members before the end of the year and if it’s approved – we need at least 11 of the 12 clubs to vote in favour – then we can take it elsewhere.”

The plans to expand the league will also feature a return to the popular play-off relegation system too.

If the plans are approved by the SPL clubs, negotiations with the SFA would swiftly follow. If the SFA negotiations go without a hitch, the new set-up could be in place for the start of the next league season.

The SPL agreed a four-year deal with SKY and ESPN for the TV rights to the league last year, but were given the option to walk away from the deal at the end of this season.

Scottish football fans will no doubt keep a close eye on these upcoming talks, with the goal of repackaging the SPL into a more entertaining and attractive prospect.

It will fall due to greed and the undemocratic 11-1 voting system.

I was at the Real Radio football forum at the Scottish Parliament earlier this year and the SPL chief executive was positive on this particular idea but looking at his face he wasn't too confident of getting it through. One thing that is going to happen though is the introduction of a pyramid structure. It will be a matter of when and not if.

This is a stupid proposal. There are an odd number of games for a start meaning that there will be an uneven number of home and aways. The OF won't vote for having to play one another away twice one season with only one home match.

The point that never gets answered when people want to expand the league by 4 teams is what

happens to the first. The reason no one wants to expand relegation to a playoff is because of the massive gap between Premier money and First money. Extending the premier league try to solve this problem by making the SPL poorer which also makes the first division poorer. If you have 16 premier teams how long is full time professional football going to last in the lower divisions and rather than creating a safety net for middling teams like us a bad season would see us staring into the abyss rather than just the crap hole that is the current first.

I think we have an optimum system right now that creates drama and allows well run clubs to turn a profit. We have had a few reconstructions in the past and they were all heralded as saving Scottish football. Nothing is going to change the players on the park and quite frankly I would rather watch Well vs Hibs hearts aberdeen celtic rangers dundee united etc instead of games against Morton QotS etc. Novelty will only last so long until people start rolling out contraction of the SPL to make sure quality players are playing quality players every week.

rather than creating a safety net for middling teams like us a bad season would see us staring into the abyss rather than just the crap hole that is the current first.

Don't you see the first division as something of an abyss just now? The top first division clubs who are arguably better than the bottom of the SPL can (and do) spend season after season being the nearly promoted team when other pish reap the benefits of the SPL. There is so much fear at the bottom of the SPL because relegation is a potential nail in the coffin if you don't have a damn good season next and come straight back up.

I still hate the idea of a split. Much rather go for 16, play each other twice, have a few weeks break in the winter and keep players fresher. I know this won't fly right now, as there would be financial implications, but I think that would be partly addressed with an increase in average attendances.

I'd also scrap the minimum stadium requirements. That has taken a lot of money out of the game with little benefit.

However, I can't see it being voted through. Although even managers like Wattie agree it may be a positive thing from a footballing perspective, the money men don't care about anything but the bottom line. And they are the ones who will ultimately decide.

I still hate the idea of a split. Much rather go for 16, play each other twice, have a few weeks break in the winter and keep players fresher.

Agreed. I'm all for a 16 team league but no splits please. Such a split would cause even more problems and resentment than the current one.

I would guess should it be accepted, and thats a big if, at the end of the year then it would not be introduced until a season in advance of any change ie you can't change rules in the middle of a competition.

The OF will vote according to how many games and non European/big English teams they'd have to play; big sides like Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen wouldn't like it and bottom feeders might not like it - depending on play off/relegation issues. Bigger SFL clubs would love it.

Thats an oversimplification I know but it gives arough idea of how votes would pan out.

General point here but what about the argument that by having a bit more 'fodder' (excuse the term) in the league there is potential for one or two teams to keep pace with the Old Firm, instead of the 'cut each others throat' scenario we have just now.

A 16 team league only gives 30 games, and although it would allow a winter break it would drastically cut clubs income with only 15 home games rather than the current 19. The only way for me we could re-structure without a split would be moving to an 18 team SPL. That would give 34 games, plus we could bring back the League Cup sections in August, giving another guaranteed 3 home games.

By doing this we need to open up the leagues below by bringing in a pyramid system to allow the top Ayrshire, Highland and other junior sides the chance to progress.

a 16 team league will never happen. there's no way to make the fixtures work out even with a split. there's also zero chance of a 30 game season as it'd mean season ticket prices would have to be reduced as would the media contracts as the amount of high value games would be reduced. add in that the reduced money would have to be split between 4 more teams and it'd be financial ruin for the clubs. also from a fans perspective why would we want 8 less games?

what i think they'll propose is a 14 team league with a split after 26 games (the start of february) with a top 6 playing 38 games and the bottom 8 playing 40. if this is what they propose we should definitely vote against it as it's highly likely there would be seasons where we ended up with 14 meaningless games to end the season which would be a disaster for us.

league cup sections are the daftest idea of all. the crowds in the cis are diabolical right now for straight knockout games and would be lower for group games and non existent for dead rubbers. also the fact that the gates are split means an even worse return.

A 16 team league only gives 30 games, and although it would allow a winter break it would drastically cut clubs income with only 15 home games rather than the current 19. The only way for me we could re-structure without a split would be moving to an 18 team SPL. That would give 34 games, plus we could bring back the League Cup sections in August, giving another guaranteed 3 home games.

By doing this we need to open up the leagues below by bringing in a pyramid system to allow the top Ayrshire, Highland and other junior sides the chance to progress.

yes 30 games isnt enough with 16 team league but i think 16 teams is great and instead of group stages in league cup which no one cares about bring it in for scottish cup with 8 groups all with 2 seeded teams from SPL in each group i.e 1st and 7th 2nd and 8th etc from previous season and 2 qualifiers this would get all little teams 2 big home games a season at least and generate loads of interest in their relevant towns during footy season i would then make the next rounds 2 legs this again i feel would generate great excitement think how many we take on SC away days as do most provincial clubs.SPL if 5 into europe top 3 automatic from spl to relevant tourney winner /runner up of SC to uefa cup and 4,5,6,7 play offs home and away then hampden final for remaining uefa spot this would be massive and hugely money spinning for clubs,bottom club relegated with top div 1 promoted then bottom 2 of spl and 2nd and 3rd top div 1 in group with top 2 in spl for next season again huge excitement this would mean hardly any meaningless fixtures at end of season

I'd go for 18 teams. Their are undoubted negatives but lets face it there are plenty as things are. And to try and keep games meaningful long as we can I'd have play offs at end of season for possibly any 2nd CL spot, uefa and relegation places.

34 league games and less of a cut in home games. And only playing each other once home and away cut out some of the monotony!

I'd go for 18 teams. Their are undoubted negatives but lets face it there are plenty as things are. And to try and keep games meaningful long as we can I'd have play offs at end of season for possibly any 2nd CL spot, uefa and relegation places.

34 league games and less of a cut in home games. And only playing each other once home and away cut out some of the monotony!

you'd need 21 teams in the first two seasons.

you probably need more than that to keep it fresh. do you honestly think scotland can support 23 or 24 teams capable of playing in the top division?