Humphrey For Scotland ?

well-army

The one question I would put to any such "second generation" Scotland prospect would be, "if given a straight choice between playing for England or playing for Scotland, who would you choose?".

In their heart of hearts they know they are only picking us as they are not good enough to play for England and for me bringing an attitude like that into the camp is not healthy, regardless of their footballing ability. It automatically devalues playing for Scotland in my opinion and could go some way to explain the current malaise surrounding the national team and our efforts to get our best players playing for us.

Agreed, Mackie, Bardsley, Morrision, McEveley and Gilks are all players that are not good enough for England so have 'settled' for Scotland and are in the team ahead of Scottish players.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, not to forget, a certain Mr. Driver who came out with this quote when he joined the England U-21 team last year:

Having turned out for Scotland schoolboys, and developed into one of the SPL's best young players, he has become something of a cause célèbre among those supporting change, even if none of the hype was his doing. In the Swedish coastal town of Varberg, where he and the rest of England's under-21 squad are based, he doesn't sound like a man yearning to be loved by the Tartan Army. "I have been the only English player in the Scottish league who this story applies to so all the attention has been on me but, at the end of the day, I am English, with no Scottish blood in me. I'm delighted to be here, representing England. The aim was always for me to be here."

Agreed, Mackie, Bardsley, Morrision, McEveley and Gilks are all players that are not good enough for England so have 'settled' for Scotland and are in the team ahead of Scottish players.

Morrison 'scored' on tuesday, Bardsley had a good game, Mackie looked well up for it when he came on. Cammy Bell getting a call up shows how light we are for keepers at the moment.

I'm alright with that, frankly. I can't think of anyone I'd rather have in.

McEveley is brutal though.

Morrison 'scored' on tuesday, Bardsley had a good game, Mackie looked well up for it when he came on. Cammy Bell getting a call up shows how light we are for keepers at the moment.

I'm alright with that, frankly. I can't think of anyone I'd rather have in.

McEveley is brutal though.

Morrison was good, Mackie looked lively but Bardsley was a fucking bombscare, he kept drifting in and leving two men out wide, from my vantage point he was by far the worst player on the park. I'm with eddiemunster on this one, Scottish players playing for the Scottish national side not English players with minor Scottish connections who are accepting 'the next best thing'.

Morrison was good, Mackie looked lively but Bardsley was a fucking bombscare, he kept drifting in and leving two men out wide, from my vantage point he was by far the worst player on the park. I'm with eddiemunster on this one, Scottish players playing for the Scottish national side not English players with minor Scottish connections who are accepting 'the next best thing'.

i think the fullbacks were under instruction to stay narrow and basically cede the wide areas to the spanish fullbacks, not really bardsley's fault.

As I said though mate, for me it's not about footballing ability, but the "second classing" of playing for Scotland purely because you're not good enough for somewhere else.

Aye, I understand, I was just saying that it doesn't bother me really. Matter of opinion really, but someone like Morrison and Bardsley put in as much of a shift as anyone for me. If they were turning up and not giving a fuck, then I'd be slating them, but if they're giving their all and working for the team, I can live with it.

Bardsley had a great fucking game.

Don't know what game I was watching then cause where I was sitting (section A5) he was caught out of position several times leaving two men out on the left for spain with all the time in the world. Everybody I was at the game with and the people around us commented on Bardsleys poor performance.