Rangers V Motherwell 16/10/2010

postiejim

The difference is Rangers have experienced pro's who are of better quality in the better or more important areas of the pitch. We need to play at the top of our game and hope that their better players have an off day. Thats where the financial disadvantages has taken us in the modern game.

We did very well first half, but then we lose concentration, as always, and they get a lift, and then with home support, raise their game, and well we know the rest.

If we are to beat Rangers, it will be at Fir Park, games at Ibrox and Parkhead are write offs and basically should be forgotten about very quickly.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is Rangers have experienced pro's who are of better quality in the better or more important areas of the pitch. We need to play at the top of our game and hope that their better players have an off day. Thats where the financial disadvantages has taken us in the modern game.

We did very well first half, but then we lose concentration, as always, and they get a lift, and then with home support, raise their game, and well we know the rest.

If we are to beat Rangers, it will be at Fir Park, games at Ibrox and Parkhead are write offs and basically should be forgotten about very quickly.

They have the players and the tactics to throw men forward against a defence that they know can give up cheap goals.

Thanks. It's frustrating all the same but as Orinoco said, I'm forgetting about this game already and we'll move on.

Motherwell manager Craig Brown:

"We go to Ibrox with no inferiority complex. I firmly believe that we can go to Rangers and take something from the game.

"We have a terrific record away from home and it's something we would like to maintain.

"We will play our normal game. We have a system, and that system is organised but allows our players freedom to create.

"We won't change that for the game against Rangers. :mad:

Even after going 1 up , it was always going to be hard to take anything from this game , but the manner in which we surrendered the points in a 5 minute spell was shocking .

As has been said already though , points against the old firm are most likely to come at home , so its another case of the team putting this to the back of their minds and focusing on the double header with utd , which is going to have far more bearing on our aspirations for the rest of the season .

Onwards and upwards , mon the well ! .

Shite happens. No one outside of the Old Firm could cope with those sort of injuries, they still had two top level international strikers to put on from the start, a side full of international players. Aye, we collapsed, but to be honest it's three (or even one) point(s) we never "budgeted" for. Far, far more important is next week.

We don't have the mentality to go and get a result at Ibrox. How many years have Hammell, Lasley, Reynolds and good old Captain Craigan being going there now and still never got a result.

Far cry from the 90s when we didn't have an inferiority complex when it came to playing the Old Firm.

Why even bother getting excited about the League Cup? Should we progress against Dundee United, then it just tees us up to get pumped off Rangers or Celtic.

We don't have the mentality to go and get a result at Ibrox. How many years have Hammel, Lesley, Reynolds and good old Captain Craigan being going there now and still never got a result.

Far cry from the 90s when we didn't have an inferiority complex when it came to playing the Old Firm.

Why even bother getting excited about the League Cup? Should we progress against Dundee United, then it just tees us up to get pumped off Rangers or Celtic.

Great post mate ,I remember speaking to an old Dundee United player a few years back and he admitted that some players have lost the game before they even get on the park.

Even at 1-0 I had my serious doubts we would win.....but I didn't really expect to lose to be honest and I certainly didn't expect that collapse. Second half was an utter shambles and they lost all belief and confidence when Rangers equalised. I hope Dun Utd get pumped tomorrow.

I remember speaking to an old Dundee United player a few years back and he admitted that some players have lost the game before they even get on the park.

And fans are no different (me included) who expect us to get pumped before the game has started. I’m not sure how you can change this as anything you get from the Old Firm away is a bonus/shock.

Poor first half with Randolph only one serious save,we scored with our only attempt on target.

Had to keep it tight at the start of the 2nd and keep their fans on their backs......90 seconds later ......we then lost a howler of a goal with nearly the whole rangers forward line fannying about on the edge of our area, our ball retention was shocking with possesion given away poorly,then allowed Davis 2 run 30 yards before he planted a peach in the top corner.............then lost interest.........think it was about 78th minute before we forced a save from Alexander.

Based on past performances I thought the 1-0 lead at half time and Craigie's batten down the hatches cautious approach we wouldn't leak anything like 4 goals in the 2nd half.

Everything I've seen so far in 10 games or so seems to point towards a stamina or bottle issue in the second half. As Kmcalpin pointed out there have been a number of games this season that we've been ripe to get pumped in the 2nd 45 because players have went AWOL and not stepped up to the plate.

Rangers and Celtic do appear stronger than last season and do on paper have a stronger starting line up than us, but any team on their day can achieve a result if they believe and don't give up. I just don't think we have that winning mentality yet, possibly some of the younger players were in awe of the occasion/venue and some of the older players have been there before and kinda expect a negative result.

Half-time, one-nil up, I really thought it was going to happen this time. Pah!

First half I thought we were great. We had severely restricted them, were spraying it about pretty well at times and looked fairly lively when we got up front and ofcourse had got ourselves ahead.

I stood there at the break thinking we've played this to a tee. Continue doing what we're doing for the opening quarter of an hour and the cesspool dwellers will be on their backs quick smart and they have little or no options on the bench to change it.

About quarter of an hour in and we're four-one down? Fuck Off!!

I don't know if it is down to bottle, self-belief, simply the power of the opposition or whatever but that's three of our last four visits to the Old Firm we've been in solid or winning positions in the second half and have imploded. Bloody frustrating giving them a bloody nose but ultimately failing to land the killer blow and failing to see it through.

The points, or point would have been a very welcome bonus and while it was sickener collapsing the way we did I'm not going to get too upset at a loss to one of the Old Firm. Will be much more unhappy if we blow the next three at Fir Park mind you!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9099100.stm Thought the end of the interview was interesting where Graig talks about the belief of some players.

Yes that John Sutton does not believe he is a midfield dynamo !

Think Big john puts a shift in every time he pulls on the C+A jersey,but dont like the role he is being asked to play just now, same as against St midden when Blackman was covering in midfield,does not work imho...........why not play Page in midfield ?

we clearly didn't come out in the second half thinking we could win the game. two of the hu.n goals looked maybe offside but we bottled it.

the serious business starts next week. if we can take 5 points from the next 3 league games and get through in the cup then we'll be on course for a cracking season. today was probably the least important game of the season, hopefully the positives add a bit of confidence and the bad parts are forgotten.

it was a good support and good atmosphere in the well end today. the polis and stewards seemed to have the right attitude, a million times better than at parkheid and probably better than we get at fir park.