Murphy, Humphrey & Reynolds - Out, Saunders In

Guest 'Flow

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shocked by this i have to say im not even happy in current form with Saunders playing right back for Motherwell ahead of Hately so to have him in the Scotland team??? The Scotland fan in me is losing faith with Levein and by the way it's a LEFT back the national team needs as we dont have one and about 6 right backs....Honestly!!! I'd like to see Stevie Hammell given a chance. Levein has lost the plot.... :nod:

What a ridiculous statement. He could come on and play a stormer yet you think it would be better for him to stay on the bench "for the sake of his career" aye good one.

It's not really a ridiculous statement.

Steven Saunders is still a young player at the very early stages of development. This is a very shaky looking Scotland squad with an absolute plum in charge.

Anything other than a convincing win tomorrow, and the players who play in the match (as well as the gaffer) will get an absolute pasting. You've got to question just how strong Stevie's mentality is at this young age if that were to happen.

If we were to lose or draw tomorrow night in a game that Stevie Saunders plays apart in, his confident could take a huge blow considering the media backlash that would occur in the aftermath. Such a damaging blow would undoubtedly hamper his development. In fact, there's a number of players who have fallen at such a hurdle early on in their careers.

Far from being a ridiculous statement, I think it's a very sensible one. This isn't a call-up for a Scotland squad under Walter Smith where you'd feel confident that the player would be protected and the team would win. This is a Scotland squad under a speccy mongo who could seriously hamper Saunders career within the space of a few days if it all goes tits up tomorrow, which is looking like an possibility more and more with every passing minute.

If we were to lose or draw tomorrow night in a game that Stevie Saunders plays apart in, his confident could take a huge blow considering the media backlash that would occur in the aftermath. Such a damaging blow would undoubtedly hamper his development. In fact, there's a number of players who have fallen at such a hurdle early on in their careers.

Far from being a ridiculous statement, I think it's a very sensible one. This isn't a call-up for a Scotland squad under Walter Smith where you'd feel confident that the player would be protected and the team would win. This is a Scotland squad under a speccy mongo who could seriously hamper Saunders career within the space of a few days if it all goes tits up tomorrow, which is looking like an possibility more and more with every passing minute.

100% Spot On. I would rather he was involved with U-21's or not involved at all. I don't want a single Well player involved with this Scotland team with every passing hour because it will be to their detriment to spend any time with Levein, Houston and Black. I would rather they stayed at training with Craig and Archie for the good of their careers.

Much rather concearn myself with the lad getting a game and playing well than wondering if it's a shite performance that he might get crucified for. Saunders is a very good defender and this could be more of a chance for him to show that than he'll get for a while.

He'll no doubt not make it off the bench though since Levien seems to only like massive hoofers like Gary Kenneth.

Of course it's a ridiculous statement. The young lad has been called up to represent his country it'll be a huge boost for him and hopefully he'll gain a bit of confidence from this recognition. Personally I hope he gets a wee run out and see's what the future could hold if he improves and develops as a player. Surely coming back with that attitude will benefit the club and the player.

The last time we had a fuck up against the Faroes, we had less of a pool to choose from, were at a crossroads in terms of changing from retirees to new blood. Such a result did wonders for the International careers of 75% of this squad didn't it?

Scotland: Douglas, Ross, Crainey, Dailly, Weir, Dickov, Ferguson, Lambert, Johnston, Kyle, Dobie. Substitutes: Gallacher, McNaughton, Thompson, Wilkie, Alexander, Williams, Crawford.

Of course it's a ridiculous statement. The young lad has been called up to represent his country it'll be a huge boost for him and hopefully he'll gain a bit of confidence from this recognition. Personally I hope he gets a wee run out and see's what the future could hold if he improves and develops as a player. Surely coming back with that attitude will benefit the club and the player.

No, the only real ridiculous statements here are those from people making the dangerous assumption that every footballer's mentality is the same.

Unless Steven Saunders is a complete idiot, he'll know all the chat after the original Scotland squad was named was all about Mark Reynolds, Jamie Murphy and Chris Humphrey, and still is after his inclusion. He'll know more than anyone that he's still to be a regular for Motherwell and I'd hazard a guess that there's a pretty good chance he'll know that the majority (if not all) 'Well fans - and general Scottish football fans - believe he isn't as deserving a cap as the other Motherwell players I've mentioned.

Now, he'll either go to Pittodrie determined to prove those facts wrong and come back a more confident player having played a good part in a convincing win. But simply assuming that's the natural way of things is a very naive view of things. There's every chance he could be a part of another terrible international night under Levein which could hamper his career. We're not talking about a young starlet who has taken the SPL by storm and is being capped because he deserves it. We're talking about a Motherwell substitute who has been called up ahead of a much, much more deserving defender - a decision most Motherwell fans can't even understand.

It all depends on what happens tomorrow night but it also all depends on his own mentality. I don't pretend to know what that mentality is, and neither should anyone else.

saunders has played against far better opposition in the spl, in the europa qualifiers and for the u19s and u21s, it's daft to say we should be worried about him playing against the faroes. levein obviously likes him because he is dominant in the air and when he eventually switches to centrehalf i could see him becoming a scotland regular, his performances at cb in the games where we got clean sheets at pittodrie, tannadice, parkhead and at home to rangers last season were outstanding.

even though i think he'd stroll through the faroes game i'd rather see him in the u21s as i doubt he's going to get on. a conspiracy theorist might say levein is ensuring no motherwell players pick up any caps this week and that saunders place in the u21 team goes to a hearts player :lol:

Fair play to the guy. He's had a very decent season and if he continues to progess he may well become a regular in the Scotland team for years to come.

Unfortunately for him and many of the younger guys currently getting call-ups, it may appear slightly sullied because of the complete retard whas in cherge. Had the call come from a more respected manager such as CB or WS then the inclusion may hold slightly more value to those of us looking in.

End of the day, he isn't exactly going to turn round and say he doesn't want to be included as he maybe hasn't quite earned his place yet. If anything it will give him a better understanding of how a crap manager operates as he's probably gotten used to working with a pair of legends.

Well done Stevie. Do us proud and don't take no shite from that jambo arab bastard!

I imagine Saunders is a tad embarrased by this call-up.

For the sake of his own career, I hope he is left on the bench.

i doubt he'll be thinking thats made it but he's got nothing to be embarassed about. from the amatuer scottish cup final to the scotland squad in less than 3 and a half years, he should be proud as fuck.

I'd hazard a guess that there's a pretty good chance he'll know that the majority (if not all) 'Well fans - and general Scottish football fans - believe he isn't as deserving a cap as the other Motherwell players I've mentioned.

We're not talking about a young starlet who has taken the SPL by storm and is being capped because he deserves it. We're talking about a Motherwell substitute who has been called up ahead of a much, much more deserving defender - a decision most Motherwell fans can't even understand.

levein wanted a right back, what's that got to do with murphy or reynolds? saunders situation is totally seperate from theirs. i'll admit i'm suprised but he's in a squad but with caddis, wilson and davidson in there as well he's not out of place.

and as for being a motherwell sub he's started 16 out the 19 matches he was available for.

Lets put a shout out for all those Motherwell Players who have been overlooked this time round, the only way we can bounce back from this issue is to prove Levein wrong.

Saturday offers the opportunity for Murphy, Humphrey, Hammel, and Reynolds to show Levein what Motherwell Offers Scottish football, it is clear that presently Levein does not rate the players mentioned above.

Pros and Cons

• Murphy- what does he offer Scotland ? and where and how can he improve to the point Levein cant ignore him anymore.
  • Humphrey- What does Chris offer Scotland that they dont have already?
  • Reynolds- What has Reynolds got that the other Central defenders selected have not?
  • Hammel- Is he ready for the next step, is he better than the left back already selected in the Levein dream team.

Please discuss all of the above, it will be interesting to read your findings! :lol: