Scottish Cup

gdalli10

Well folks I seemed to have made a bloomer as it wasn't the 1963 Dundee game.

My memory seems to be playing tricks and I'm struggling now to remember who it was we played.

I remember the bus and there was only a few 'Well supporters there just about 100 in a wee clump behind one of the goals.It was the early 60's and I've been positive it was Dens Park and Dundee.

Well if anyone can enlighten me, it was a Wednesday afternoon and a 3pm kickoff.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if anyone can enlighten me, it was a Wednesday afternoon and a 3pm kickoff.

The 1963 Dundee game was at Dens Park and I'd guess there'd be something like 5,000 - 6,000 Well fans there. We were losing 1-0 late on when Joe McBride was lining up to take a free kick. He cleverly bent down low as he was placing the ball, picked out a gap in the corner of the goals about 30 cms wide, looked my father straight in the eye knowingly (we were standing at the front behind the west end goals) and then proceeded to plank the ball right in that gap.

Sadly we lost the midweek replay, which was in the evening, at Fir Park.

Shock horror Motherwell drawn away in the Scottish cup! :wank: Never seen that before. Good chance of getting pumped out due to our recent record against first division teams. But could be worse like Kilmarnock & St johnstone's ties.

Have to feel sorry for the non league teams getting shitey draws. A great opportunity for them and their fans to have a great day out & experience the"big" time but instead they got very unglamorous ties.

As a side note does anyone know what happens if Dundee don't exsist by match time? Is it just an automatic bye?

Thats the question I was going to ask.

The 1963 Dundee game was at Dens Park and I'd guess there'd be something like 5,000 - 6,000 Well fans there. We were losing 1-0 late on when Joe McBride was lining up to take a free kick. He cleverly bent down low as he was placing the ball, picked out a gap in the corner of the goals about 30 cms wide, looked my father straight in the eye knowingly (we were standing at the front behind the west end goals) and then proceeded to plank the ball right in that gap.

Sadly we lost the midweek replay, which was in the evening, at Fir Park.

Ah those were the days great away support and huge support at FP.

Why all the worrying, half of the Dundee team will be gone in January, so if they are still in business they will have a team of reserves and boys on the field. Even if we lose Blackman etc we will still be too strong for them.

Looking forward to a good away day and a comfortable win for the well. :wank:

Why all the worrying, half of the Dundee team will be gone in January, so if they are still in business they will have a team of reserves and boys on the field. Even if we lose Blackman etc we will still be too strong for them.

Looking forward to a good away day and a comfortable win for the well. :lol:

Motherwell don't do easy wins in the cup regardless of the circumstances. That said I do believe we are firm favourites IF we play well on the day. If the team that played Hamilton turn up, then we could well get a bloody nose.

As for the Dundee team that will face us.....I suspect that they will try and hold onto their best players as a win in this tie could get them a draw v one of the Old firm or DDee Utd which would mean a lot of sponduliks. That of course will make them a dangerous side. They may be playing for there very survival....

It's either 50/50 or 60/40. Sure it is 50/50 though. After match day costs are taken into account of course.

Thats about it. The cash is split 3 ways. One third on costs, and one third each to the two teams. Don't forget though that gate income from season ticket holders (paid to Dundee months ago) will also be taken into account.

The 1963 Scottish Cup Replay was at Dens Park on the following Wednesday.

But as Dens Park didn't have floodlights, kickoff was at 3pm.

A crowd of us dogged the school, hired a bus and went up only to get beat 4-0.

It was a wee bit different to see a 50 seater bus, full of 'well supporters leaving from a school,the rest of the pupils and a coupla teachers looking on.

what school was that ?