John Spencer Coughs Up

numpty

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish...86908-21060542/

FORMER Scotland striker John Spencer has been ordered to repay a £100,000 loan after a bitter battle with Motherwell FC.

Spencer, now a coach with Houston Dynamo in Texas, was given the loan to help buy a house when he signed for the Lanarkshire club from Everton in 1999.

He left the club for America in 2001 but in 2006, the club began legal action to recover the cash.

Spencer, 38, who was capped 14 times for Scotland, denied he owed the club any money from his lucrative contract.

But at Hamilton Sheriff Court yesterday, Sheriff Vincent Smith ordered him to repay the loan.

The club had told the court they had expected the cash to be repaid within seven years when it was advanced.

Spencer, who was Motherwell's record signing at £500,000 at the time he joined, was unavailable for comment last night.

But Motherwell director Stuart Robertson confirmed the club's court victory.

He said: "Our lawyers are studying the judgment and we will speak to them further to discuss any future action."

Papers lodged with the court showed the club gave Spencer the loan on an interest-free basis.

He also received a £175,000 signing-on fee and collected £5500 aweek in wages, as well as getting the use of a Jaguar company car.

In September last year, Motherwell's multi-millionaire owner John Boyle was forced to give evidence against his club after being called as a witness for Spencer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news though. If that money wasn't bugetted for, it would be nice to see it passed straight onto McGhee for the transfer window.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if it came out of JB's pocket to start with, in which case that's probably where it'll end up again...

There's many accusations that can be levelled at JB.

Filling his pockets with MFC money isn't one of 'em

I certainly wasn't suggesting he'd pocket club money... but we're led to believe that he subsidises certain club expenses out of his own pocket, so I was only wondering if Spencer's loan was one of them. If it was, I would think he'd be quite entitled to keep the repayment to himself, if he so desired.

I've never understood this. He can't exactly have been skint when he signed for us. He got £175k signing on fee and was on over £5k a week, why the fuck would he need to borrow £100k to buy a hoose?
He didn't *need* it any more than a CEO pulling in a few million quid a year needs an interest free loan from his employers to buy a house. It's just a perk in the overall salary package.

The article says John Boyle was a witness for spencer against MFC. If that's the case then who was pursuing the money? Surely that would mean a divided back room?
No, the article says "owner John Boyle was forced to give evidence against his club after being called as a witness for Spencer."

The defendant can call anybody they think will be a useful witness, even the person that is prosecuting them.

The article says John Boyle was a witness for spencer against MFC. If that's the case then who was pursuing the money? Surely that would mean a divided back room?

Nope. Just that Spencer's lawer thought it was a good idead to bring in the persuer as a witness for the defendent.

Obviously didn't work though, did it :nod:

No, the article says "owner John Boyle was forced to give evidence against his club after being called as a witness for Spencer."

The defendant can call anybody they think will be a useful witness, even the person that is prosecuting them.

Snap..

He didn't *need* it any more than a CEO pulling in a few million quid a year needs an interest free loan from his employers to buy a house. It's just a perk in the overall salary package.

My point was really about the relatively low amount of the 'loan' given the other figures involved. He had been sold a few times in his career by then, at least twice for over a million. Given the signing-on fees, bungs and high wages he must have received in his career, he must have been at least a millionaire and this figure seems a bit odd in light of that. A bit like me being on £50k a year for 10 years and asking my new employer to sub me a tenner.

Unless of course he'd pished it all up against a wall.

He lost way more than £95K Matt

Ok fair point, but why not just pay the lawyers fees on behalf of the club? Why go to trouble of buying the debt? Has he made nothing out of it, was it purely a point if principle it not all that clear.

Until the day Boyle leaves Fir Park no final judgement can be made, for all we know we end up at Ravenscraig in a rented legoland while Boyles pockets millions from sale of Fir Park. Not saying it going to happen but I still have my doubts.