Motherwell Memories Thread

underboyleheating

...I noticed that we got an early Christmas present in the shape of Sir Roger Hynd. ;)

24o615z.jpg

Roger Hynd had been a centre half at Rangers and transferred to Crystal Palace. He made his name at Birmingham and spent his latter days at Walsall. His appointment as Motherwell manager in December 1977 came as a surprise to many. Hynd failed to come anywhere near the achievements of his uncle, Bill Shankly. Well finished sixth in 1977-1978 and had achieved only three league victories when Hynd resigned to take up a teaching post in November 1978.

Feel free to post any other past significant (or not) dates as the days and months go by.

...I noticed that we got an early Christmas present in the shape of Sir Roger Hynd. :whistling:

24o615z.jpg

Feel free to post any other past significant (or not) dates as the days and months go by.

I had big Roger as my PE Teacher at Garrion Academy in the 80's. He was hard but fair.

Even to this day he remembers me and my pal George Walker even after all these years

Can't quite remember the full details offhand but it was certainly December and the jist of it was.....

That it was a pivotal week in the season for us with us bottom of the table and in danger of becoming detatched. Only a few weeks earlier we'd had "McLean Must Go" demonstrations outside the Main Stand at Fir Park and it was against a financial backdrop of the club shelling out millions to be build the South Stand which by that time was nearing completion.

By quirk of fate we faced two of the other relegation battlers in Falkirk and Airdrie on consecutive Saturdays.

First one was the Bairns who either went ahead or pegged us back to 1-1 before the game turned in our favour thanks to some controversial officiating (really!). Iain Ferguson and Davie Cooper were involved in a quick throw-in, one which Falkirk felt was theres, a few seconds later the ball's in their net and the Falkirk players go loopy. None more so than Tony Parks who after getting booked for protesting keeps mouthing and eventually gets sent off and the Falkirk players go loopy. Capitalising on the good fortune we run out 3-1 winners.

Next week its a tasty derby against the Section B at Broomfield and with a bit of confidence behind us it was a well deserved 2-0 win for the Dossers with Phil O'Donnell a scorer who ran half the length of the park to givf the home support a big "Come On" gesture on his way to the 'Well fans.

Fortnight or so later we're off the foot of the table thanks to a hard-earned nil nil at Tynecastle, safe by the end of the season in little more than 12 months later we're involved in a battle for the league title!

was that the game John Martin got nailed and Phil tapped the ball into the empty net

Think that one might have been the last game of the season when we had fun taunting them as they were down.

Mind could be playing tricks but the goal I remember Phil scoring in the December game was a shot from the edge of the box.

We’ve had mixed results against the Jambos during the December months. I certainly hope there is no repeat of the 3-1 defeat we had on the 14th Dec 1974 (Nice white away kit!). We also lost 2-1 on the 12th Dec 1970. Not all bad as we did thump them 3-0 at Fir Park on the 12th Dec 1959.

Fingers crossed for December the 14th 2010!

n351n7.jpg

We’ve had mixed results against the Jambos during the December months. I certainly hope there is no repeat of the 3-1 defeat we had on the 14th Dec 1974 (Nice white away kit!). We also lost 2-1 on the 12th Dec 1970. Not all bad as we did thump them 3-0 at Fir Park on the 12th Dec 1959.

Fingers crossed for December the 14th 2010!

n351n7.jpg

we'll hopefully take inspiration from 3 years ago today.

hearts 1 - motherwell 2. a poor first half performance sees us a goal down at half time. snow starts piling down at half time and seems to inspire the well who are first to every ball after the restart with hughes and mccormack running riot. one of my favourite away days. we went out for a few beers and a chinese in edinburgh after then went home to see ricky hatton getting sparked by mayweather.

hearts 1 - motherwell 2. a poor first half performance sees us a goal down at half time. snow starts piling down at half time and seems to inspire the well who are first to every ball after the restart with hughes and mccormack running riot. one of my favourite away days. we went out for a few beers and a chinese in edinburgh after then went home to see ricky hatton getting sparked by mayweather.

I remember listening to that on the radio before heading into the bowels of the student union for a shift on the bar, one of the easiest monster shifts I've ever done, felt so good all night.

Can't quite remember the full details offhand but it was certainly December and the gist of it was.....

That it was a pivotal week in the season for us with us bottom of the table and in danger of becoming detached. Only a few weeks earlier we'd had "McLean Must Go" demonstrations outside the Main Stand at Fir Park and it was against a financial backdrop of the club shelling out millions to be build the South Stand which by that time was nearing completion.

By quirk of fate we faced two of the other relegation battlers in Falkirk and Airdrie on consecutive Saturdays.

First one was the Bairns who either went ahead or pegged us back to 1-1 before the game turned in our favour thanks to some controversial officiating (really!). Iain Ferguson and Davie Cooper were involved in a quick throw-in, one which Falkirk felt was there's, a few seconds later the ball's in their net and the Falkirk players go loopy. None more so than Tony Parks who after getting booked for protesting keeps mouthing and eventually gets sent off and the Falkirk players go loopy. Capitalising on the good fortune we run out 3-1 winners.

Here's the Falkirk game ,bad refs and decisions are nothing new. Link below.

One of they games you wished you had never went to when we got to half time but in the second half we were incredible probably be in one of my Top 5 games that i've been to.

Tommy Coyne was absolutely outstanding that day.

Look at the state of Di Canio sneaking up the tunnel at FT :P

Just out of interest does anyone know what Tommy Coyne is doing these days? Seems to one of the few players who didn't turn to management when they finish playing unless i just missed something -_-

• 3 months later...