Craig Brown Statement

Guest 'Flow

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much to say on this except three points, most of which have been said elsewhere...

Firstly, anyone who wishes to portray Craig Brown as some kindly old gentleman is having a laugh. I mean this is as no disrespect to Craig Brown but you don't survive as long in a business as cutthroat as football without being, frankly, a bit ruthless. Anyone with an eye on the world of football over the last 20 years will tell you this.

Secondly, it does strike me that maybe we jumped the gun a bit in releasing a statement. If there were only early overtures from Aberdeen, maybe we should have waitied to ensure they didn't want a second dance. I know the club would then have been slated for its silence on the matter. Perhaps a simple "We're doing everything we can to get Brown and Knox to stay" could have been issued?

Thirdly, if he leaves, he leaves. We have a decent squad in place, no mad owner wanting to run the team, no major debt that will require selling off the full first team squad. If the last three or four years has shown anything, it's that the Motherwell job is an attractive one, you never know who might show an interest...

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Going a tad further though, I always think that once our manager starts entertaining other offers it is better that they move on sooner rather than later.

Right, to bed with this one now......

Bugger Off

Well boss Brown 'no' to second Dons offer

Craig Brown has revealed he turned down the chance to take over at Aberdeen out of loyalty to his players at Motherwell and reluctance to move too far from his family.

Aberdeen's determination to land Brown was underlined when chairman Stewart Milne made a second attempt to persuade him yesterday, having had a meeting on Tuesday which ended in disappointment.

Brown was flattered and promised to consider the renewed offer overnight, but he is certain to contact Milne today and tell him he will not be coming.

Former Scotland manager Brown, 70, was Aberdeen's first choice and along with assistant Archie Knox he met Milne, director of football Willie Miller and managing director Duncan Fraser in Glasgow.

At Brown's suggestion, the meeting took place at the office of his solicitor brother Jock.

Last night, the Well boss said he had been impressed by Milne and claimed the Aberdeen chairman did everything he could have done to make the offer attractive. He said: "You'd hardly get a bigger and better club outside the Old Firm, a club with bigger potential, than Aberdeen. It is a big club, a real football club.

"If everything else was equal I'd have done it, or if the response at Motherwell wasn't as good as it is, we'd jump into Aberdeen. But we have such a young and vibrant group of players here."

Even Aberdeen's superior fanbase and wage bill could not tempt Brown and Knox, not least because they have reached a stage in their careers where they are weary of moving around the country.

"Archie has done 15 moves already. My family's all in Ayrshire. My wee grandkids think Aberdeen's in Outer Mongolia," added Brown.

"Aberdeen's a smashing city, but on balance we thought, having thought the whole thing over, that it wasn't right."

Scottish Under-21 manager Stark and former Hibs manager John Hughes will inevitably move up the list of candidates for the Dons job now.

Hamilton's Billy Reid, Mixu Paatelainen at Kilmarnock, Gus MacPherson and Jocky Scott have also been linked with the post as well as several non-Scottish managers.

Another rumour had Scott and Alex Smith down to return in a resurrection of the co-managerial team which was in charge at Pittodrie from 1988 to 1991 and won two domestic cups

Meant this to be an edit to the other post, ooops...........!

Well boss Brown 'no' to second Dons offer

Craig Brown has revealed he turned down the chance to take over at Aberdeen out of loyalty to his players at Motherwell and reluctance to move too far from his family.

Aberdeen's determination to land Brown was underlined when chairman Stewart Milne made a second attempt to persuade him yesterday, having had a meeting on Tuesday which ended in disappointment.

Brown was flattered and promised to consider the renewed offer overnight, but he is certain to contact Milne today and tell him he will not be coming.

Former Scotland manager Brown, 70, was Aberdeen's first choice and along with assistant Archie Knox he met Milne, director of football Willie Miller and managing director Duncan Fraser in Glasgow.

At Brown's suggestion, the meeting took place at the office of his solicitor brother Jock.

Last night, the Well boss said he had been impressed by Milne and claimed the Aberdeen chairman did everything he could have done to make the offer attractive. He said: "You'd hardly get a bigger and better club outside the Old Firm, a club with bigger potential, than Aberdeen. It is a big club, a real football club.

"If everything else was equal I'd have done it, or if the response at Motherwell wasn't as good as it is, we'd jump into Aberdeen. But we have such a young and vibrant group of players here."

Even Aberdeen's superior fanbase and wage bill could not tempt Brown and Knox, not least because they have reached a stage in their careers where they are weary of moving around the country.

"Archie has done 15 moves already. My family's all in Ayrshire. My wee grandkids think Aberdeen's in Outer Mongolia," added Brown.

"Aberdeen's a smashing city, but on balance we thought, having thought the whole thing over, that it wasn't right."

Scottish Under-21 manager Stark and former Hibs manager John Hughes will inevitably move up the list of candidates for the Dons job now.

Hamilton's Billy Reid, Mixu Paatelainen at Kilmarnock, Gus MacPherson and Jocky Scott have also been linked with the post as well as several non-Scottish managers.

Another rumour had Scott and Alex Smith down to return in a resurrection of the co-managerial team which was in charge at Pittodrie from 1988 to 1991 and won two domestic cups

Meant this to be an edit to the other post, ooops...........!

More or less the same article was in todays Herald.. I myself am not quite convinced yet.

Spend money on the squad in January or spend it on a new management team? Clever. Either way something has to give.

Would be good if we can do both.

To be honest, apart from adding depth, do we really need to strengthen? At full strength I would be happy that we can give any other team in the league a run for their money. The problem is going to be if we have an injury crisis, and even then we are only really going to suffer in Midfield.

(Thats assuming that Reynolds, Blackman and Gow are here past January.)

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11789_6563356,00.html

I think he's off.

Broon was a breath of fresh air after havin 3 self important wanks like Malpas, McGhee and Gannon, but if he wants to take on that thankless job then fuck him.

I think if he wanted to take it on then he'd be away already, he doesnt want to go up there and may well be using this as a bargaining chip with JB. He'll be with us until the Summer at least!!

Beyond the Summer? I can see him needing a new assistant as Archie may seek to move onto pastures 'new'. Would Broon be happy at JB picking his assistant for him and to groom that assistant to be his eventual successor??

Having read this thread I am now convinced that football fans will never be happy with the amount of loyalty a manager shows a club. Wee Craig would have to tattoo himself Claret and Amber and run round the Fir Park pitch naked screaming 'I love you Motherwell' before being given any credit for showing loyalty.

What amazes me is that we all sit judging managers decisions to move when we have no idea of the offer that is being made. I would think that 99% of the people on this board would move jobs for a hike in their salary of £20-30k. and yet blind to terms and conditions offered Craig Brown is already being slated for daring to listen to offers.

Craig Brown has shown as much loyalty as can possibly be expected of a football man and his reason for staying (i.e the commitment of the players) is about as pure a reason as you are ever going to see. He may still go but if he does you would have to imagine that Milne's offer is pretty seductive.

I know what is going to happen anyway. Craig Brown will go and a year to the day after being sacked from Well Jim Gannon will come rolling into town wearing a pair of Hugh Dallas skinned shoes, Mark McGhee carrying his bags, and will go on to take Motherwell to Champions League glory.

know what is going to happen anyway. Craig Brown will go and a year to the day after being sacked from Well Jim Gannon will come rolling into town wearing a pair of Hugh Dallas skinned shoes, Mark McGhee carrying his bags, and will go on to take Motherwell to Champions League glory.

:woop: I think we'll all turn up naked at the next home game should that happen..........!

Having read this thread I am now convinced that football fans will never be happy with the amount of loyalty a manager shows a club. Wee Craig would have to tattoo himself Claret and Amber and run round the Fir Park pitch naked screaming 'I love you Motherwell' before being given any credit for showing loyalty.

What amazes me is that we all sit judging managers decisions to move when we have no idea of the offer that is being made. I would think that 99% of the people on this board would move jobs for a hike in their salary of £20-30k. and yet blind to terms and conditions offered Craig Brown is already being slated for daring to listen to offers.

Craig Brown has shown as much loyalty as can possibly be expected of a football man and his reason for staying (i.e the commitment of the players) is about as pure a reason as you are ever going to see. He may still go but if he does you would have to imagine that Milne's offer is pretty seductive.

I know what is going to happen anyway. Craig Brown will go and a year to the day after being sacked from Well Jim Gannon will come rolling into town wearing a pair of Hugh Dallas skinned shoes, Mark McGhee carrying his bags, and will go on to take Motherwell to Champions League glory.

The point is if he left it the way it was yesterday then nobody would be moaning and we would have moved on, however, after the relief of yesterday it has come to some as a kidney blow that he is away talking to them again. So where is the loyalty in that? As I have said before if he goes it will be worse than anything McGhee or Gannon ever done. I for one will lose a huge amount of respect for him.