Craig Brown Statement

Guest 'Flow

So Gannon and McGhee go talk to other clubs - they're hoorin' wankers

Brown and Knox do it - they're legends

Aye very good

Seriously shut up. They spoke to Aberdeen because they are respectable senior gentlemen, they were never going to accept, they were just being polite and conducting themselves in a dignified manner.

Should be role models to some.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still think he should be made to sign a damn contract!

Why what do we need it for? We have something much greater than that. We couldnt have him at all if we pushed for a contract, its a partnership thats based on trust, he has returned that trust by rebuffing Aberdeen. We are in a unique and fortunate position. Broon has earnt the right to work without contract. Let it lie, and enjoy what we have - a cracking manager, probably better than any other we could have.

He is the best manager we have had in my time, so I am happy to ignore the fact he isnt under contract.

This is how I see it, totally deliberate from CB.

Craig Brown to John Boyle: "John, gonny gies some cash tae hodd on tae big Nick and fur a couple a new players in January?"

JB: "Naw Craig, sorry, we huvvny got much in the kitty"

CB: "Fine then. Me and Erchy are away tae talk tae the Sheep aboot the job up ther"

JB: "Aye, right then Craig. So'n ye are"

Couple of hours later.....

JB:The auld bastards, thuv only went and spoke tae the c***s..... "Haw Craig, 'mere a wee minute, ah've fun some copers doon the back ae the couch fur ye tae spend in January if ye promise us yies'll stay"

CB (sniggering to himself on a job well done...) :"Awwww, cheers John, that'd be luvvly" :P

I'll probably be totally wrong on this, but I think CB is a lot more cunning than his demeanor would suggest. This is a good thing.

Yeah, and John Boyle, a millionaire, would be that naieve.

I don't buy this 'common courtesy' bollocks. I get agents phoning me up all the time with job offers and I hunt them all because I'm quite happy where I am. I wouldn't consider talking to another prospective employer if there wasn't a chance they could tempt me away.

Maybe it's different in fitba'. What do I know?

I don't have agents phoning me up offering me jobs sadly but I completely share your views. No way am I buying this common courtesy shite. Now not for a second do I think Broon would now go to Aberdeen after saying he is happy where he is but I think he must been slightly interested and the money wasnt good enough.

If Brown was offered a million pounds to spend in January he would be off like a shot. The point is he went to see if the job was worth taking. He listened and unlike McGhee realised it was a pile of pish.

Common courtesy my arse. That's my opinion anyway.

Infamous wee grafter I totally agree with your post.

Seriously shut up. They spoke to Aberdeen because they are respectable senior gentlemen, they were never going to accept, they were just being polite and conducting themselves in a dignified manner.

If you believe that then you're kidding yourself I'm afraid. There must have been some interest on Brown's part otherwise he wouldn't have met them atall, he would just have been polite and conducted himself in a dignified manner when he declined their offer over the telephone surely? Who goes to meet someone simply to tell them that they are not interested in a job, especially with the weather the way it currently is?

Craig Brown comes across as a nice old chap who is very well spoken and very respectful of everyone he meets, and I'm sure that's the type of person he is. However, aswell as being a 'gentleman', he's also a football man and quite a shrewd operator I think, and even at the ripe old age of 70 you can still see the enthusiasm in him and I think the prospect of breathing new life into one of the biggest clubs in Scotland outwith Celtic and Rangers would have interested him, at least to some degree.

Aye, cannae disagree with those that have said he must have had at least some interest in the job to meet them in the first place. Not that I particularly care, I would imagine the prospect of managing Aberdeen would be intriguing to some up until they found out there was no money and a shite squad.

At the end of the day, if an absolute ganting munter asks you out for a drink you say "bolt", you don't go out with her out of "common courtesy".

That's seriously, seriously naive.

Like has already been mentioned - if there was zero chance of them going they would have politely declined, like the smashing wee gentlemen they are.

If there was no issues at Fir Park then they wouldn't have gone at all.

However within 30 seconds of meeting Aberdeen they make a statement about not taking the Dons offer and urging Boyle to loosen the purse strings at Fir Park

More shrewd operator than nice old gentleman if you pardon my cynicism.

(Although, on this occasion it has worked to MFCs favour)

This time round they've taken the opportunity to send a 'nice gentlemanly' message to our board.

Next time round with money in a clubs transfer kitty it might be a bit more appealling to the nice wee adventurers and the message to the board could be cheerio

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.a...2045135?UserKey= Broonie no quite decided yet? might still be offski :thumbup:

Brown said: "Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne phoned me back on Wednesday and asked if we would be prepared to reconsider our refusal to be a candidate for the job.

"Quite frankly, although we originally said no, after the very pleasant appeal from the Aberdeen chairman to reconsider our position, we will have another agonising sit-down and talk out of respect for a man who we both respect.

"As well as the chairman, Duncan Fraser and Willie Miller, we also know people such as directors Hugh Little and Gordon Buchan and like them very much so it was hard to say no to them.

"With the chairman coming back to us everything is now up in the air, everyone is entitled to change their mind, so there could be a change of heart."

Earlier in the day, Aberdeen's chances of securing their leading candidate appeared doomed.

I'm not buying into this 'respect' agenda either. Where does this respect and courtesy extend to John Boyle and MFC? - a telephone call to the Club 'just to let you know we are in talks with Aberdeen'? - bollocks.

He is no better than either McGhee, or allegedly Gannon (though no one has yet provided actual proof that he actively sought alternative employment) and yet we should all agree that he is some 'gentlemanly saint' in the words of Jim Royle - "MY ARSE"

Time to be respectful and walk Craigy - thanks, but like everyone before you - 'don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out'.

Next time round with money in a clubs transfer kitty it might be a bit more appealling to the nice wee adventurers and the message to the board could be cheerio

Well he was sounded out about the Hibs job and was the leading candidate on Rod Petrie's list, but that turned into nothing, on Browns insistence, following more 'informal' talks (Source: a loose tongue within the Hibernian hierarchy). I'd say Hibs are in a very strong position, if not the strongest outwith the old firm in financial muscle, size and potential of club.

If this was a plot from Brown to extract transfer cash or contracts for himself and Knox, which would both benefit the club immensely, then you shouldn't hear too many grumbles from Well fans......But you will, because some of the dour faced nuggets on here are the merchants of doom.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.a...2045135?UserKey= Broonie no quite decided yet? might still be offski :thumbup:

Brown said: "Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne phoned me back on Wednesday and asked if we would be prepared to reconsider our refusal to be a candidate for the job.

"Quite frankly, although we originally said no, after the very pleasant appeal from the Aberdeen chairman to reconsider our position, we will have another agonising sit-down and talk out of respect for a man who we both respect.

"As well as the chairman, Duncan Fraser and Willie Miller, we also know people such as directors Hugh Little and Gordon Buchan and like them very much so it was hard to say no to them.

"With the chairman coming back to us everything is now up in the air, everyone is entitled to change their mind, so there could be a change of heart."

Earlier in the day, Aberdeen's chances of securing their leading candidate appeared doomed.

Interesting indeed. :whistling:

Like I said, Brown is a shrewd customer and there's more to him than his gentlemanly persona and his "I have the utmost respect for every single human being to ever walk this earth" patter. Underneath all that he's just the same as any other football manager or player.

If these quotes are true, I think Brown and Knox are offski. I take it by a "very pleasant appeal" he means they were offered more money.

In fact (again if true), by even reconsidering his position less than 24 hours after releasing a statement saying he was staying at Fir Park, is his position at Fir Park now untenable?

Hmmmm so he might go after all? Must admit I'm in agreement with the rest who say he isn't as 'gentlemanly' as he appears. Then I have never thought that. Remember the 'poisoned letters' to Gerry McNee, allegedly penned by himself, in an effort to get Alex Miller more responsibility for poor Scotland results? There are a few other examples but they are pretty irrelevant.

All that aside I would be pretty annoyed if they left after publically knocking the job back and MFC issuing a Club Statement. If that article is to be believed then I'm a bit p'd off he is reconsidering after such a public refusal.

If he does go.....so be it. At 70 years of age I'd imagine we eould be looking for a new manager sooner rather than later.

If he does go.....so be it. At 70 years of age I'd imagine we eould be looking for a new manager sooner rather than later.

Exactly.

I don't want him to go, but players and managers have always left MFC for bigger clubs and will continue to do so but the club has always survived and that won't change if Craig Brown leaves us for Aberdeen.

Looks like another statement will be required from Motherwell to confirm or deny this new approach from Aberdeen. But at the end of the day they have no contract with Motherwell and can leave when ever they like.

I did find it funny that the article was partly written by a Mr Gannon (By Michael Gannon and Dave Edwards). :thumbup:

Well he was sounded out about the Hibs job and was the leading candidate on Rod Petrie's list, but that turned into nothing, on Browns insistence, following more 'informal' talks (Source: a loose tongue within the Hibernian hierarchy). I'd say Hibs are in a very strong position, if not the strongest outwith the old firm in financial muscle, size and potential of club.

If this was a plot from Brown to extract transfer cash or contracts for himself and Knox, which would both benefit the club immensely, then you shouldn't hear too many grumbles from Well fans......But you will, because some of the dour faced nuggets on here are the merchants of doom.

Well as the day progresses and the quotes and updated stories come tumbling out - it looks more 'perceptive' and 'informed' than dour faced nuggetry to me.