389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't be surprised if part of the dream team returned in the shape of Leitch/Meldrum. Don't think that would go down to popular tho!!

Wouldn't mind these two coming back, maybe with Gordon Young taking a step up too. But from the other names mentioned, Calderwood would be ok. I mean he had the unmentionables in 4th when they sacked him. But the important thing will be keeping the team's momentum going while they get somebody in place, and not slipping down the table through this. I am so mad about this that my main wish for the season is to stay well above the Sheep which Leitch and Meldrum would certainly have the reason to do.

I met Gordon Young for the first time recently and was impressed with his attitude and I understood very quickly that he has Claret blood coursing through his veins.

Craigan is reaching the end of his playing career, I felt he handled the Gannon thing impeccably against constant undermining. He exhibited the demeanour of a true professional and gentleman. He is erudite and has a good TV pedigree and presence.

What is important for me is both have desire and fight, in abundance Youngie is like a pit pull and look at the way Craigan turns to the East and pumps his fist when we win, they both really care about this club.

I definitely wouldn't look to hire any of the regulars on the SPL managerial merry-go-round. Also, anyone currently under contract is out too as we can't afford the compensation unless they are Dr Martin's/Irish League managers or have a big team get-out clause. The benefit of hiring an unknown is they have contacts, influence and knowledge of different pool of players that would normally be off our radar. The reason Gannon still gets a split reaction from our support is the legacy of the players he brought in and left us.

Based on that, I would look to get Youngie to run training in the same vein as Knox and let Craigan handle the press conferences and media. I'm unsure if they are both already too close to the team as you do need a degree of distance. As for the tactics I would hope they could grow into that role and iron it out as they go between them or rely in another addition to the backroom staff.

I would also be open to anyone from any league or country as JB's acumen has mostly been not too bad, just like Humphrey on occasion, the final ball could do with some work.

Also, which looney's have voted for McGhee? - The Aberdeen supporters who joined up tonight I'm guessing.

Finally, out the current list I'd only have Collins for overall charge. Leitch, I don't know the whole story concerning his departure so will reserve judgement, reservation he has been tainted by McGhee's ego.

Having thought about it for a wee bit longer, I reckon it's safe to assume we won't be going for a foreigner in the post. I think the perceived failure of Harri Kampman puts paid to that idea. Even if it's someone with previous links to the club like Nijholt or Van Der Gaag.

I'd be reluctant to promote Gordon Young as it smacks a bit of the Billy Davies appointment. Maybe one day, but not yet.

I think it's possible that if we bring in someone from down south that you may see Scott Leitch return as assistant to add a Scottish perspective. The impression I get is that a lot of the problems that people had with Gannon was a dismissive attitude to those who had plied their trade in Scotland their entire career. So I reckon you'll get short odds on Leitch (or Craigan) as assistant manager.

I know he was mentioned in early talk about the Aberdeen job, did Steve Clarke rule himself out? Worth asking the question...? Run the risk of Celtic or the like coming and poaching him if he does a good job and we have this discussion again in a year's time, but maybe worth it if he does a job that attracts such offers..?

Craigan nowhere near Manager or Assistant, he cant manage a defence never mind a team.

I agree he has been wanting on a few occasions, but that has sometimes been down to his pace and age. Things are different when you plan things in advance to on your feet in the heat of a game.

One thing he does manage well though is the press and PR, which is a big part of game nowadays.

I'm not saying I'm am betting my last £5 on them, just out the list of alternatives given, they wouldn't do any worse than the half and are more realistic than most.

Can anyone seriously see Gannon coming back after everything that went on and the day it was announced to the team he was leaving they all cheered on the bus at Dalziel Park?

John Collins lives in Monaco and insisted on spending power and ambition from his board, we can't hope to offer that or a fraction of what Hibs could offer him when he was there and left.

Butcher is under contract and I'm still annoyed he left us to go to a bloody A-League team, if it was for a lifestyle change then fair enough.

Calderwood, Hughes, etc. have all had their day and need to prove themselves again but starting afresh with 1st/2nd division clubs and working their way up again. Motherwell is not the place for them.

I'd be reluctant to promote Gordon Young as it smacks a bit of the Billy Davies appointment. Maybe one day, but not yet.

Who's to say that Youngie won't get the reputation in the game Davies now has in a much quicker period of time, for all we know he could end up emulating what Owen Coyle has managed.

Davies was offered the jump and I'm sure he'd happily share his experiences of what he would do different with hindsight. What is important he was given a chance and wasn't left to deal with the youth team indefinitely.

I don't think he is any more of a punt than many names been banded about on here, the only difference is he at least isn't passing through and he is linked intrinsically to the club.

We'll need to agree to disagree on this one. Gordon Young may be "Motherwell-minded" but so are a lot of us who sit in the East Stand and I wouldn't want to see any of us manage the team.

Youth football is entirely different to the senior game. For one thing, there is no real pressure for results. It's all about developing players. And like it or not, a manager has to attract new players. Our previous three managers (like them or loathe them) all attracted players to the club because of who they were rather than on the strength of Motherwell's reputation, either through contacts in the game or because players had an idea that they would develop under that manager (thinking Gannon here). At a time when we need to be clever in the transfer market, Young would be too much of a gamble...

I suppose its fair to say then that every candidate has their pro's and con's, for me Youngie's pro's outweigh his con's and you feel the opposite.

In my ideal world, if they were appointed, another back-room member of staff would be drafted in to help mentor them in a consultative role, maybe someone who has the experience of the game and has the gravitas and knowledge of other markets to attract additional players. However they probably wouldn't appreciate or want the hours and focus that comes with being a top-flight football manager due to their advancing years or lifestyle.

Someone like a Walter Smith or Souness character.

Actually this one would wind up the unwashed in the East End ..... Larsson?

Swedish season finished, Wikileaks stuff kicking off, higher level than he's used to, good intro before he replaces Lennon.

Maybe we'd get a few fringe Barca players reaching their 32nd birthdays :)

Perhaps not as ridiculous as it sounds! We need someone from outwith Scotland who can bring in half decent players at minimal cost, like Gannon did. Broonie had loads of contacts to go with his experience, hence Blackman and Randy. None of the usual suspects (McPherson, Hughes, Calderwood) will be able to do that.

Van Der Gaag might be an interesting option but not sure if he would even be vaguely interested. Alternatively some lower division manager in England might be the way ahead.

I put my trust in Mr Boyle and the board - they have a good record of unearthing managers.

In the immediate short term bring back Muttley - just till the Aberdeen game is over. Please.