389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

So after that shambles today and the fact that if the papers are reporting it correctly, we are now down to a shortlist of McCall or Sutton - or even Hartson FFS!!!

Could people look at the bigger picture and consider the option of at least putting McGhee back in charge til the end of the season and give JB time to consider bigger and better options?

Next few weeks could either see us still challenging for Europe or more likely dropping out the top six and seeing the sheep catch us up!!

Sensible and cohesive thoughts please......

FATCALF

Is that sensible and cohesive enough?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as we know no-one has actually been offered the job yet. Was Sbragia offered the job and said no or did he rule himself out after an interview or two. Again has McDonald been offered the job and turned it down. Is it even him that Scott Burns is referring too?

One thing is for sure, whetever anyone says the candidates that we are considering probably are of a level that MFC would and could be the biggest if not the best job they could get right now IMHO. Do you think we will see Sbragia managing Aston Villa or Newcastle any time soon?

It is no secret that we are not awash with cash, nor are we a particularly well supported club, at least in terms of numbers. There should be little or no surprises for any managerial candidate. That said anyone who watched the game yesterday may be put off, but they should also know we have competed in Europe for past 3 seasons and actually have a half decent squad that if we get the right manager ought to finish in the top 6 this season.

This turning out like when the club were trying to find a sponsor. Plenty of chasing, and an end product out of desperation.
The only desperation I can see is from the posters on here. A few Twitter 'exclusives' from the Daily (Yesterday's news the day after tomorrow) Express is hardly worthy of anything but healthy skepticism.

I haven't seen any fact based stories of people being offered the job only to knock it back. All I have read is unsourced stories of people of have decided they are no longer interested.

I'd rather we took a few more days to decide than rush into a Malpas situation.

STV

Motherwell delay appointing new boss as Neil McDonald stalls over move

Dec 28 2010 Craig Swan

MOTHERWELL target Neil McDonald has admitted he is ready to step back up into a top role in management.

But a proposed move to Fir Park hung in the balance late last night as the 45-year-old had second thoughts over a switch to the SPL.

McDonald emerged as one of the major candidates for the Motherwell job after being axed as assistant at Blackburn Rovers by new Indian owners Venkys.

The Geordie had worked as Sam Allardyce's right-hand man at both Ewood Park and Bolton Wanderers but insists he is ready to step out of the shadows again and take on a manager's post in his own right.

McDonald has experience in the hot seat having taken charge of Carlisle United and Swedish outfit Ostersunds before returning to join Allardyce in Lancashire.

He has an extensive list of contacts throughout the game in England which makes him a promising choice for the Steelmen and he insists he wants an instant return to the game .

But, after a long day of thinking at his home in England, no agreement had been reached and McDonald is understood to be reconsidering any move to the SPL.

Earlier in the day, he was cagey over the move when he said: "I've been a manager before and I liked it. I also liked being a No.2 so we'll see what it is in store.

"I felt I did well as a manager, a reasonable job anyway, so we'll just see what is around the corner.

"Management is something that would interest me, without a shadow of a doubt.

"However, you'll have to speak to Motherwell vice-chairman Derek Weir about anything else."

The Fir Park club are close to an announcement and could have their new gaffer in place for tomorrow night's trip to face Celtic at Parkhead.

McDonald was in the stand for the home game against Rangers on Boxing Day and when asked if he was interested in taking over from Craig Brown said: "I wouldn't have come to the game otherwise."

He added: "I am not going to deny that I was at the Motherwell-Rangers match. I like going up to watch Scottish games and have been to several of the Fir Park club's games watching Nick Blackman.

"It's not as if I don't go and watch matches."

However, nothing has been signed and sealed and the deliberations are continuing for the Lanarkshire outfit.

Ex-Old Firm stars Stuart McCall, Chris Sutton, Alan Stubbs and John Hartson have all been linked with the position along with former Doncaster Rovers, Darlington and Oldham boss Dave Penney. And Motherwell have other irons in the fire as they seek a successor to

18 months ago we were looking at appointing Boothroyd, Sanchez and someone else incredibly credible when we appointed Gannon and today we seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel to find someone remotely interested. You have to wonder what has changed at Motherwell in these 18 months that we are now no longer appealing at all. I know Boyle likes to surprise us with appointments and think to the left field but there is a time coming when certainty is required and a willing and competent but not too special manager is required because at the moment we are bumbling from defeat to defeat.

I suspect that we're casting our net just a bit too high. You have to wonder though how much the 2 "candidates, who have allegedly knocked us back so far" know about football in the real world. They both have recent EPL experience and that is the world they know and are familiar with. Its not representative of Britsh football as a whole.

CALM DOWN!

I know it can be depressing reading news stories about managers rejecting us but depending on what paper you read neither he nor Sbragia has turned us down. You need to be formally offered to turn it down. Candidates are no use to us if they do not accept Motherwell FC warts and all. Unfortunately, the papers always manage to put a negative spin on things and I'm sure the board would rather that if they weren't interested they just kept their mouths shut.

KMcaplin I think you may have a point about someone who can manage in the real world. Maybe we are too real for these latest two names.

No doubt some of you will have already done this but the stats below are quite interesting. Of those mentioned Dave Penny for me. As others have posted there are a few interesting articles out there on him. Seems to be good in the transfer market, plays attacking football and backs youth players (apprently not the best tactically but hey you can't have everything).

Craig_Brown_(footballer)

Neil_McDonald#Managerial_stats

Ricky_Sbragia#Coaching_and_managerial_career

Stuart_McCall#Managerial_statistics

Chris_Sutton#Managerial

Dave_Penney#Managerial_career

I would rather we took another couple of weeks, if that is what is needed, than appoint someone out of panic.

The only man that fits the bill is Gannon

Pity as a club we don't have the balls to execute on the plans and move the club forward.

too many fabrications and non truths and too many didn't like it up them - it's a shame that they won.

The club have gone backwards under Brown in real terms (chasing results for results sake)

Bring back Gannon