389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather we took another couple of weeks, if that is what is needed, than appoint someone out of panic.

I take your point about not panicking but another couple of weeks could be seriously damaging - we have looked a completely rudderless ship in the two games since Brown walked out and unless someone who can stem this is appointed soon we could be very quickly sucked into the bottom six - we're almost as near third bottom as we are third top - and it's not so long ago we were looking comfortable in third. The rot was beginning to set in, which may explain Brown's haste, but if it's not stopped soon we're looking at a difficult few months.

A safe pair of hands who knows the club or the SPL is required right now - my suggestion is Tommy McLean or Jimmy Calderwood.

We all have problems with No2's every now and then :evilgrin:

That is the problem with going after a candidate who has been No2 most of the time, like Sbragia and McDonald. They were Assistant Managers for a reason and probably good ones at that.

To me the question mark is not necessarily is Motherwell the right club, but more in their own faith and ability to take us forward. Malpas arguably is a good No2 but we know all too well how poor he was was as Boss. Leitch did not have faith in his own ability so followed McGhoo up to Aberdeen.

Some people do not have the bottle for the job unless it is gilt edged and comes with the insurance of having money to spend.

FWIW I think both could have done a decent job, but I would rather they were honest in their abilities NOW and recognised this is a challenging job and one they do not believe they are up too.

The only man that fits the bill is Gannon

Pity as a club we don't have the balls to execute on the plans and move the club forward.

too many fabrications and non truths and too many didn't like it up them - it's a shame that they won.

The club have gone backwards under Brown in real terms (chasing results for results sake)

Bring back Gannon

The club requires fundamental change, rather than trying to bandage up the old for another game, or another season...(much like the east stand)

Gannon seen the old faces for what they were...limited but reliable footballers with no monetary value to the club. The future of our club is what we produce, not from bringing in players like David McNamee in the hope we move up from 6th to 5th.

Gannon wont come back because the very core of scottish football is rotten. Refs, hierachy and clubs.

We need someone in the Gannon mould, a visionary. Not someone who will just get by, bringing in journeymen to push us up a place in the league. Think longterm Motherwell.

Attractive football, young blood, cash through selling on..there's the recipe.

Hughes, Calderwood, McPherson...Thanks, but fuck off.

McCall, Sutton, Hartson...Cheers, but we need a manager who's CV isn't there name alone.

Someone of the Jim Gannon, Eddie Howe, Keith Hill ilk please!!!

The only man that fits the bill is Gannon

Pity as a club we don't have the balls to execute on the plans and move the club forward.

too many fabrications and non truths and too many didn't like it up them - it's a shame that they won.

The club have gone backwards under Brown in real terms (chasing results for results sake)

Bring back Gannon

As much as I respect your train of thought, this can't happen. I too thought Gannon was a good student of the game, and forged a development plan for Motherwell. But knowledge is only one aspect of football management; another is man management. Alas there is too much evidence around to indicate the man is an arse hole.

Reading the wiki managers stats on the previous page of this thread, arguably Penney's stats and experience are MUCH more impressive than either Sbragia and McDonald. He has been Manager for much longer in terms of games and time period. A blip with Oldham last year, but his win record of 27% is still better than the 23% Sbragia managed at Sunderland whilst in charge. Before that he did very well at Doncaster and Darlington with win records well up in the 40% bracket.

If he is next in line so to speak let us hope he does not have second thoughts. It may be we end up with the right man after all :evilgrin:

Saw Scott Leitch at the game on Sunday and Boyle likes him but i would rather see Derek Adams as the new manager

I still seriously think Leitch could be in the frame for the job due to his relationship with Boyle!

Also nice to read the positive comments about Gannon. I do believe he was/is the perfect candidate for the job and people question his man management skills but I would also question the support - or lack of it - when he had the balls to make tough decisions and drop players like Craggs and do something new. Wish someone had those balls now but it will never happen and like others have said - have we really gone forward in the last 12 months?

I think that any potential manager at the game on Sunday would be running a mile. Not because of the teams performance but because of the empty seats in the home end of the ground. Unfortunately Motherwell screams of a club that is going nowhere fast, and the sooner we realise as a support that 3000 a week at home games in apaulling the sooner we will realise that that it is going to need a stunning appointment to take the club forward. McGhee realised it, Gannon realised it and Brown realised it. I would think that the most recent two candidates have also got a bit of a shock wheb they have seen the poor attendances.

Lets face it we have been arguably the 3-4th best performancing team in Scotland over the last 4 seasons and look at the crowds we get. Bleak times I'm afraid.

Talk of Leitch getting the job now is way off the mark. How does he meet the criteria which, rightly or wrongly, has been put out into the public domain?

Given the level Penney has managed at and his current job status if he is offered the job I'm 100% convinced we have had our last KB.

How many of these guys are using Motherwell to put themselves in the shop window for posts down south. That after all is what they are familiar with, the english leagues. For that matter if we do go down the route of a english manager Lietch might be a good number 2 for the short term as he is familiar with the players. Conversly he did feck off with mcgoo so there might be issues there.

Anyone know who the mystery foreign manager was (taking it that england isn't foreign) that the herald reported?

We need a manager in to steady the ship. look at players contracts ie blackman etc. We are slipping. We have games in hand over the teams above us though Dundee utd have more games and they aren't a kick in the teeth off of us. This is a critical time. It would be better to appoint someone now. Let them watch the celtic game and start to put there stamp on the team for the local derby.

I still seriously think Leitch could be in the frame for the job due to his relationship with Boyle!

Also nice to read the positive comments about Gannon. I do believe he was/is the perfect candidate for the job and people question his man management skills but I would also question the support - or lack of it - when he had the balls to make tough decisions and drop players like Craggs and do something new. Wish someone had those balls now but it will never happen and like others have said - have we really gone forward in the last 12 months?

Lets get some even appraisal of Gannon.

Yes he came here and he said all the right things, stuff that all fans of every club like to hear and read in the papers ..... "I'm going to promote youth, I'll develop players to sell on for big money, a new footballing ethos within the club, I'm going to radically change our approach". All manna to the ears of the East Stand faithful.

He had a good eye for a player, but lets be honest if any of us were playing in a 20 team league, facing 19 opponents with 11-14 players used in a match, then you'd at least identify 2-3 available targets from among 250, and that's without the backup of a scouting infrastructure and dossiers on opposing teams.

For me he sidelined a few unquestionable club servants (dip in form or not, he went about it in a poor way), he focused attention on a spat with Hugh Dallas to deflect attention from a string of poor results and cover the fact he was quickly losing the dressing room as the players could see he had ambitions elsewhere (testament being when the team were informed, they started cheering).

Does anyone think a return will immediately boost moral and team spirit?

I think we should temper what he said in interviews with his actions and demeanour.

I also think bridges were definitely burned for ever based on what happened last December and the fall out afterwards.

Star Sail is also correct, to deny we are in a declining industry with a declining product is to behave like an Ostrich. In my opinion the quality and appeal of coming to Scotland to build something has diminished exponentially from 18 months ago when Gannon took the post.

He had a good eye for a player, but lets be honest if any of us were playing in a 20 team league, facing 19 opponents with 11-14 players used in a match, then you'd at least identify 2-3 available targets from among 250, and that's without the backup of a scouting infrastructure and dossiers on opposing teams.
You mean like McGhee (or even Brown) had from his time down south? I don't remember him bringing in the quality of player (using all his contacts) that Gannon introduced.

It was widely reported that when JG interviewed for the Hibs job that he had a list of 30 or so targets for every single position on the field. Not 2 or 3. Targets he had watched develop since they were playing in the the youth leagues, and targets with whom he had developed a good footballing relationship.

More importantly, when he said he was going to acquire a striker or a keeper or whatever within the next few days, that is exactly what he did. I'm still waiting (along with Aberdeen fans) to see McGhee's big powerful centre half he has been promising.

Fair enough, the Well support will always be split on Gannon's 5 months or so in the hot seat.

Its also fair to say none of us know what Boyle has said or made available with respect to funds for players to each of his previous three managers, so based on that Brown could have been in a position to bring in additional players to at least challenge the idea that Gannon is untouchable when it comes to finding gems.

I understand Christian Dailly advised Brown about Randolph and for me he is a better player. If Casagolda hadn't been injured and was a revelation for us then perceptions may be different too.

Long and short is, I don't know why he's even entered into this debate. It's a total non starter.

Hi,Oldham fan here in peace!.Ive heard Penney is after the job as manager.He is the worst manager we have ever had.A total 100% waste of space.We just avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth last season and had the worst goals scored of all.He is totally negative and defence minded.He says nothing from the touchline and just stands there with his arms folded looking like a Burtons dummy.BE WARNED!!!

The above is a quote from an Oldham fan as posted on Motherwell-Mad.