Bookies Investigate Red Card

Mic2904

If he is clean I hope he can put it out of his mind. This will be hard right enough. Club need to support him as much as possible.

If he isn't clean I'm not sure what he does either. Could end up being just the same. Guys life is going to be nothing but worry from here on in. If new info comes to light that he is implicated then sacked, out the game, and court case with jail term penalty looms if found guilty.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if this will have any bearing on the RESPECT campaign being pushed through out football. As already stated on here O'Reilly told jenning's to "get tae fuck". Ok jennings probably had been swearing at him all night and most players on the park probably said a few words in his ear in passing about his performance or lack of it. O'Reilly got caught up in the moment and reacted the same way any normal person would he started to defend himself. Ok he could have worded what he said to jennings better doesn't mean the red card was right though!!!

The referee is there to give an unbiased performance. Telling jennings to "get tae fuck" in my opinion does not represent an unbiased view. That is only my opinion!!!!! There will be alot of things said about this now as its been highlighted by the investigation. I for one hope the investigation is fast and that it finds jennings and oreilly clear of any blame.

As for the bookies im wondering if they are planning to do the same thing with horse owners who hold up horses till the price is right then tell relatives or friends the horse has a chance of winning. i know its different because there wouldnt be a lot of online betting as most betting would be at the race course or in shops but in reality its the same thing.

I dont know all the rules or even claim to know them because most referees dont know all the rules difference is they are paid to know them !!!!

Gazzyb im sure you think you know all the rules and if thats what u believe then all the better for scottish football when you become the referee's boss. the thing is the rules are changed every year and there are tweaks to rulings in a referees hand book all the time. Over the years i have witnessed and been part of alot of great decisions by referees and some not so great decisions.

A quick question is there a 6 second rule in football anymore???

I don't believe Jennings has done anything wrong, but ridiculous betting markets like this are ripe for ripping off. I seem to remember similar claims a few years ago concerning the likes of throw-ins direct from kick off, etc. I thought they might have learned their lessons from that. Clearly not.

Bottom line is, if bookies don't like paying out on gimmicky bets where an individual can easily ensure a positive outcome, they shouldn't be stupid enough to offer them. If they continue to offer them, they should just shut up and stump up.

Watching the bookie expert on SSN this afternoon, he was talking as if the bets were specific to Jennings getting sent off. I had previously understood it to be a Motherwell player to be sent off?

What's the script?

He said that but it was the first time it had been mentioned. So we've gone from betting on a red card in the game, to specifically a Motherwell red card and now it's changed again to just a red for Jennings himself. I smell shite.

I don't believe Jennings has done anything wrong, but ridiculous betting markets like this are ripe for ripping off. I seem to remember similar claims a few years ago concerning the likes of throw-ins direct from kick off, etc. I thought they might have learned their lessons from that. Clearly not.

I think that was Matt Le Tissier that was involved in that! I think it was for there to be a shy in the first 5 mins so he took it then over cooked his pass B-)

Edit: It was actually worse. One of his team mates kept it in ;)

Belter

just saw on tv that the sfa might ask jenno for his phone. i'd tell them to gtf even if i had nothing to hide.

would be hearing anything about this if say jenno had took a head knock and got subbed after an hour and no one got sent off? would we fuck, bets are only unusual if they win. four grand is fuck all, major bookies rigging sp odds is a bigger scandal but we hear zero about that.

A few points worth noting.

Blue Square are not taking "sending off" bets in any of todays live games on UK TV.

Nor have they priced up the two Saturday lunchtime games, one in the PL, one in the SPL.

They don't even offer the market for the weekend's "marquee" game, United v Chelsea.

This would suggest they never offer this market.

Someone mentioned Paddy Power offering 8/1 pre match. I'm a keen gambler, though not in these markets, but looking around it's generally 3/1 - 4/1 for a sending off, so Paddy Power would cover their own arse by claiming palpble error.

As for specific sending offs, ie: named player. I don't know many bookies who take these bets, but saw on another forum the odds for the Juve v City game.

Adebayor was 40/1, Balotelli - 16/1, and the latter is a fruitcake, returning to Italy, where he would likely to be wound up by fans and players.

I'd imagine someone betting such high amounts on that sort of market would understand betting and seek out the best odds available. 10/1 seems a shocking price.

Then there's the problem of getting such an amount on. I have numerous bookmaker accounts, and a few have reduced my staking. I'm usually a £50 punter, but Stan James and Skybet have reduced my stakes to £2 - £3, and I've been with Stan James for 15 years.

There is absolutely no chance of someone getting such an amount on with a new account, especially on such a specific market.

With the normal odds being around 3/1 - 4/1 the only suggestion is "in play", and with it being so late in the match 10/1 sounds reasonable odds, but how many firms play this market during the game?

Betfair is the obvious one, and they have a policy of reporting dodgy betting patterns apparently. Not sure if they do with the amount of "dodgy" games in Eastern Europe and late season games in Italy.

However, someone posted a link to a Guardian article claiming it was not Betfair, but I think that's the only place you could arguably get the bet on.

I say arguably because the liquidity is poor in these type of markets.

As I type, the Juve v City game is approaching the 80th minute and there has only been £2,700 matched, thats only £1350 on either side. Backed and layed.

To get £500 into that type of market is exceptionally hard work.

And I think the best point in this thread is, if Jenno was involved, it's quite a gamble leaving it so late because of substitutions. Unless of course he's one of those players who doesn't get subbed much?

My conclusion is, if the bet was taken pre match the bookies would claim palp error and not pay out.

If it was bet in play, I would say fair play on getting matched in such a poor liquidity market.

just saw on tv that the sfa might ask jenno for his phone. i'd tell them to gtf even if i had nothing to hide.

Oh dear. Is the SFA considering asking other participants in the game for their phones too? If not why not? If it isn't this should not have been made public.

Having gone public with this story the ABB have a duty to clarify exactly what the alleged incident was. As Fatcalf has reported this is growing arms and legs. Nothing on their website about it however.

Oh dear. Is the SFA considering asking other participants in the game for their phones too? If not why not? If it isn't this should not have been made public.

Having gone public with this story the ABB have a duty to clarify exactly what the alleged incident was. As Fatcalf has reported this is growing arms and legs. Nothing on their website about it however.

To be fair to the ABB, according to The Guardian, their spokesman actually said:

"It is important to point out that something that is unusual is not necessarily suspicious and something that is suspicious is not necessarily fraudulent."

A quote that hasn't been widely reported elsewhere.

when did it become gospel that the ref said, "Get tae fuck" .. ???

i've watched the clip over and over again like everyone else and .. yeah .. he might have said that .. but he could just as easily have said "Get off!"

it's irrelevant anyway because regardless of what he said .. it's one man's word against another .. and that's going nowhere.

the referee was very poor ... so what's new?

for what it's worth i still think SJ [and the referee] had nothing to do with it and the whole thing will ultimately be dismissed. unless new details come out about bigger bets.

Just occurred to me....The verbals made during a football match are recorded are they not? Via that wee ear piece thing they wear.....so, If Jenno DID say something totally out of order then the SFA could easily say here's the proof? Again, If so, why would it escalate this far?---- only that nothing was said and O'reilly was being a twat....SO, He can be the only one to blame for this.

One thing I do find Rather convenient about Tuesday night was that the Ref, O'reilly, is an EDINBURGH and district Ref... Coincidental thats he made decisions that were completely unexpected or unrealistic.

So to conclude on my minor rant of Findings, it should be the ref who is under investigation and NOT Steve Jannings?