Ex Old Firm Fans

Taff

Iv Been sat here bored out of my brain for ages. The kids are in bed and the Mrs is watching coronation farm.

Anyway iv been exhaustion google and have noticed st mirren and a few others have ex rangers/Celtic fans. People who have seen the scum for what they really are and decided to go to a few games of there home town club. There's a few on one forum who now buy season tickets every year and hate the old firm :drinks:

Any of you ex old firm fans or do you know anyone?

whats your/their reason for switching allegiances?

whats you opinion of the old firm?

Its something to be proud of in my opinion for many reasons and you should be applauded. :lol:

Ok I was born in larkhall so was brought up a rangers fan but then got into football & decided I preferred Celtic mad I know lol then my hubby & 2 sons decided to go to Nancy & I went for the drive totally crazy ended up someone gave me a ticket for the match & I was hooked I now go to every match home & away

My dad was a rangers fan growing up bt 30 years ago when he was in his early 20s n I was due 2 b born he switched 2 the well cse he didnt wana hav me growing up wi the old firm religious shite. He was a season ticket holder,put me in the claret n amber club when I was 4 or 5 and weve bn going 2

Games ever since. Not once has he regretted becomming a Well fan

Well !

My Faither took me to parkhead when I was younger. I had been to Motherwell games when I was about 10 but then I was brainwashed and went to parkhead for about 3 years. However when I was about 16 I realised that this club really ain't for me.

Wish I could turn back the clock, but one thing I don't regret is that seeing players like Ronaldinho, Beckham, Giggs, Gerrard and Larsson was fantastic.

I had enough when they played Killie one day and the abuse the Celtic fans gave the team at full time was horrendous, but they won 1-0 !!! Just no right.

I went to about 5 well games each season even when my dad took me to see Celtic, but it was just better at Fir Park, I can't really explain why, just love this club.

As I say wish I could turn back the clock but it aint possible. I know some fans say, "Well i've supported Motherwell my whole life", I will never have that luxury, but Im sure as fuck trying to make up for it !!!!!!

Season ticket holder now for 6 years and will make sure I don't make the same mistake my Dad did when I was younger !!!!

While I'm confessing, I played for Airdrie for a year when I was 16 !!!!

That's me, feels like counselling !!!!!!!!

Ok I was born in larkhall so was brought up a rangers fan but then got into football & decided I preferred Celtic mad I know lol then my hubby & 2 sons decided to go to Nancy & I went for the drive totally crazy ended up someone gave me a ticket for the match & I was hooked I now go to every match home & away

brilliant view in the corner n gd banter so its well better than parkhead shaz

Treated my Niece and Nephew to a day out in Edinburgh a few years back ( they were 9 and 6 respectively). Boarded an open top bus and the driver asked the kids where they were from. Hamilton they replied. He then asked them who do you support, Rangers they replied. :lol:

No F in Danager I thought. Even if their neighbour was Artur Numan, thanks to my heavy handed influence thay have both been season ticket holders at Fir Park for 4 years now.

Now 15, Mark will experience his first Supporters Bus away day to Dens for the Cup-Tie. He can't wait.

I grew up in Chapelhall and I was an Airdrie fan until my step-dad showed me the error of my ways. I was taken to my first games by my uncle who played for Albion Rovers. I was at the cup final in '92 when the current buns beat them 2 - 1. I was also at the Sparta Prague European tie at the shite-hole! My uncle was a mad-daft Airdrie man and used to take me to the games. Still got my old 'Airdrieonians' scarf and an auld away top up in the loft somewhere...

My uncle always tells me of the time he scored for Motherwell...when he played for Albion. :lol:

My first 'Well game was in '93. Motherwell beat Dundee 1 - 0. Can't remember the scorer though...

Dad was a Rangers fan so I was "brought up" a Rangers fan until I was about 13/14. When I was old enough to make my own mind up I was sick and tired of the sectarian aspect of it all so gave up on Scottish Fitba altogether. Which is the reason I became a Birmingham fan as I started to watch the English game more.

Then I went to my first 'Well game with my future wife's dad and I was hooked.

an American perspective. I got interested in Scottish football through Beasley and Edu playing for Rangers. I'd heard of Motherwell through Phil O'Donnell's death and then read a preview of Motherwell's Europa League (actually probably UEFA cup still at that time) in World Soccer magazine, so I paid attention to those games and got drawn in. I just like how the team is -- works hard and knows success won't be easy and with a good (if not large) bunch of fans behind them. thanks to the wonders of the internet, I follow along on as many games as I can on ESPN's gametracker and keep up with the comments here every day. Hopefully, someday I'll get to come over and see some games in person (right now I'd settle for just getting some video highlights once in a while or if I'm really lucky, ESPN will put a game on along with the Premier League games we're getting). I still want Edu to do well, except against us, although I will admit to rooting for Rangers against Man U since my son is still a deluded Man U fan.

an American perspective. I got interested in Scottish football through Beasley and Edu playing for Rangers. I'd heard of Motherwell through Phil O'Donnell's death and then read a preview of Motherwell's Europa League (actually probably UEFA cup still at that time) in World Soccer magazine, so I paid attention to those games and got drawn in. I just like how the team is -- works hard and knows success won't be easy and with a good (if not large) bunch of fans behind them. thanks to the wonders of the internet, I follow along on as many games as I can on ESPN's gametracker and keep up with the comments here every day. Hopefully, someday I'll get to come over and see some games in person (right now I'd settle for just getting some video highlights once in a while or if I'm really lucky, ESPN will put a game on along with the Premier League games we're getting). I still want Edu to do well, except against us, although I will admit to rooting for Rangers against Man U since my son is still a deluded Man U fan.

love random stories like this and Tamys :thumbup:

What a fantastic thread this is! :thumbup:

I remember my mum tried to bring me and my brother up as Rangers fans but for me my love for Motherwell started when i was standing at the roundabout just up from the Electric Bar during the cup final bus parade.

From that day i was a Motherwell fan and proud of it!

When I was young I didn't really follow football apart from the national squad (My dad was a rugby fan), I did start to take an interest in Rangers but only because of Davie Cooper (great player) and Derek Johnston (shared name). As a teenager I began to take a bit more interest in football and I realised all the bullshit and arrogance that goes along with the old firm and I quickly decided Rangers were not for me. I then met and became friends with underboyleheating (he's being going to Firpark since the stone age) and I began to take an interest in the Well and when Davie Cooper signed that was kind of it. Although it wasn't until I went to my first game a Fir Park (2-0 defeat to Dundee!) that I was really hooked.

I'm not proud of my old firm past, I was young and didn't realise what I was doing I am very sorry and I apologise to everyone I may have offend. I have leaned from my mistakes and won't make the same mistake.

I don't think this really counts as being an "ex OF fan" but I remember somehow liking Rangers as a pre-schooler. This appears to have changed rapidly to Celtic as my brother and I became friendly with the kids next door who, as Catholics, supported that team. Obviously at that age I had no idea about the baggage. It was just a game I knew little about.

At about 5-6 years old I became a 'Well fan. I really cannot remember why, it was so long ago. I have a small suspicion it may have been down to simply liking the unusual colours. Blues, reds and greens are commonplace. Claret and Amber showed some imagination :ph34r: . It wasn't down to my dad as he didn't really support anyone, concentrating on helping run Lanark Utd.

My mate from next door also switched from Celtic to 'Well and continues to do so to this day. I met him for the first time in decades a few months ago in the pub he runs in Lanark which has a large 'Well crest on the back wall B-) . Unfortunately, my brother never followed me on the road to salvation and continues to support Celtic. Though, on the plus side, being a nominal proddie at least shows it has nothing to do with the sectarian nonsense.

Over 40 years of following 'Well has been a roller coaster to say the least, with far more downs than ups, but I've never regretted it. Watching the ugly Punch and Judy show that is the OF develop over time only confirmed I'd made the right decision all those years ago ... even if it was originally only down to the unusual colours :D .

My Dad was a Rangers supporter from Lanark, but when he married my Mum and moved to Motherwell, he decided to support his local team.

He tried to bring me and my two brothers up as 'Well fans, but one of them slipped through the net and ended up as a H*n..............well, there's a black sheep in every family.

Personally, I never saw the attraction of the OF and thankfully my son feels the same way. He's probably a bigger 'Well fan than I ever was, but then, he didn't have any other option.

I really cant see the appeal of being an OF fan, theirs a guy in my work who's a good celtic fan which basically means he's not biased he'll admit when his teams awful.

But really i dont there would be any enjoyment with being an OF fan its the same every year.

Win the league

Get pumped by nobodies in europe

Come home and complain about the standard of our league

moan about wanting to join england

saying the CIS cup is a diddy cup and that you dont want it (until you win it then your quick enough to pump out a dvd about it)

Beer waiting for you :lol:

i have a wierd history of football suporting. when i was 5 or 6 my dad bought be a rangers top for christmas and i am told that i took 1 look at it and burst out greeting. i grew up with my whole family as rangers fans am i couldnt seem to pick a team. when i was little i supported aberdeen, yeah bad eh? but wait till you hear why... i was a big fan of the power rangers and the red one was my fave so hence red = aberdeen. when i was about 7 i had a friend who supported hearts so i just supported them since i wasnt realy bothered but i fell out with him or he moved away or somthing so i went back to aberdeen. it then got to the point where i only suported scotland for a good few years then when i was mibi 10 or 11 i would just say i suported rangers cos my family but deep down i didnt give a shit. then one day when i was 12 me and my cuz went to a motherwell game ( i think it was a cup game against Queen of the south but im not sure, just remember the snow) and i was hooked from then on, i then got my dad to come with me who was a rangers fan at the time and he is now a die hard motherwell fan and hates the old firm with a passion.

on a side note, while i was an aberdeen fan i only ever went to one game, it was against motherwell, my dad took me since i wouldnt stop asking him, although for some stupid reason he bought tickets for the east stand. i had my aberdeen top on under my jumper and my dad told not to take my jumper off no matter what.... but.... when aberdeen scored i couldnt help but whip my jumped off and dance around, needless to say i got some amount of dirty looks. then motherwell got a penalty in the last min and scored so if i can remember correctly the score was 1-1.

as an exrta foot note i was born in feb 1991, somone got me a scarf from the final and it always hung on my wall ( so i think my fate was always to be at motherwell) untill uncle phil died when i layed it down at fir park.

as an exrta foot note i was born in feb 1991, somone got me a scarf from the final and it always hung on my wall ( so i think my fate was always to be at motherwell) untill uncle phil died when i layed it down at fir park.

You just made a overweight Welshman shed a tear :blush: Thats a great wee story and so are all the others. Keep them coming folks :lol::(

One moment i am proud off as a Motherwell fan and glad i turned by back on the mutants, was uncle phil's funeral.

I took the day off work and so did my brother and we went to hamilton to the service and they piped the whole thing out for the fans to hear and when they brought the coffin out looking round and seeing grown men, young kids and women all crying even the camera men who were recording it were crying! it was a fantastic moment!

It made me love Motherwell even more that day =)