Ex Old Firm Fans

Taff

My Grand-dad was from Larkhall and grew up supporting the 'other' Glasgow team Third Lanark as he disliked the involvement of religion in football. After their demise he ended up being a Motherwell fan, although he always called them 'a dud lot' and never really encouraged me to support them. He became so fed up with Scottish football that he started watching the rugby instead.

My dad was a rangers fan growing up bt 30 years ago when he was in his early 20s n I was due 2 b born he switched 2 the well cse he didnt wana hav me growing up wi the old firm religious shite. He was a season ticket holder,put me in the claret n amber club when I was 4 or 5 and weve bn going 2

Games ever since. Not once has he regretted becomming a Well fan

exactly same as me mate except my dads only really started supporting them more than rangers the past few seasons

^^^^^^^^

Same here. Dad's whole family are Rangers fans but all of them to a man hardly ever went to games. I used to nag him like mad to go to Ibrox as a kid and we went once or twice a season when I was about 9 or 10 or something. Then my High School (moved from the southside to the 'Shire) started giving away free tickets, the first one was during that £5/£1 scheme, the Dundee Utd game and I was up in the South Stand for my first ever 'Well game to watch Kye Nyssonen score the winner in a 1-0 win! Pretty much hooked after that, the school gave you a ticket for a £1 for the next couple of seasons and after that my Dad and Sister started coming and are now both die-hard 'Well fans - away to chuffing Nancy and everything while I was stuck at work!

Who knew!

• 2 weeks later...

My family brought me up to support Rangers, only went to a couple of games a season, always follwed them though. Went down to Manchester in 2008 and that was it really, I always supported the team but all the p**h to do with religion just destroyed the experience. I hadn't realised just how bad it was until that trip and not long after became a regular at Fir Park, this year having my season ticket and loving it. Always a good aptmosphere and great banter, even if we are gettin pumped! Lookin forward to a wee European tour this year! (fingers crossed!)

Wow .. !

What a great read this thread is!

I only just found out on Christmas Day there that my grandfather [who lived near Carluke] was a Rangers fan. Apparently when the grandchildren [inc me] came along my grandmother made him throw out all his evil h*n records and to my memory it was never mentioned after that! Thanks Gran!

my dad and uncle started going to see the Well in the 60s and my brother took me to my first Well game in 1979 [i think] at home to Ayr ... I would only have been 5 or 6 and i got hit square in the face by the ball during the pre-match warm-up and Stuart Rennie came into the crowd and gave me a cuddle.

And that was that.

:thumbup: