Streamlining The League

LadywellToi

Quite a few folk in Inverness would disagree quite vehemently with that. When Caley & Thistle merged in a forced marriage more than a few folk were lost to the game forever.

That's an old argument that's trotted out all the time.

Yes, a few supporters of Inverness Thistle and Inverness Caledonian refused to acknowledge the merger (especially Thistle fans). But what's a "quite a few" in terms of actual numbers? In this scenario not that much actually.

Instead, a large number (that's a lot more than "quite a few") of people who lived in the city and especially in the surrounding areas of Inverness adopted ICT as their team because they had their representative in the SFL/SPL.

I'm not saying we should merge into Lanarkshire United, by the way. I just always fail to see how ICT can ever be used as an example of the problems with a merger.

I think that merging all the different organisations is a must. Running costs would be hugely reduced as already mentioned as you are looking after one large organization instead of lots of small organisations. You can just look at when scottish rugby merged to form the SRU they know look after everything to do with the game and organize leagues from under 14 til over age level. Although the leagues in Scotland in rugby aren't professional so it is impossible to compare exactly it has showed it is much more successful and we know seem to be reaping the benifits in Rugby as the Scottish national team recently reached as high as 6th in the world.

Is this the way to go I think so but it needs all the leaders of the different organisations to face up to the fact they are 20 years out of date so that change can be implemented.

Interesting thread.

Boyle had originally thought of a Lanarkshire Utd when he took over and there is definitely some sense in it. I would prefer that to us and Scottish football going to the wall.

Glad that there are reports today of at least some SPL clubs questioning the move to a 10 team league.

One governing body makes financial and organisational sense. To make progress everyone needs to be heading in the same direction. That is very difficult/impossible to achieve with independant organisations who have their own interests at heart. No idea on the actual financial cost savings but it would be interesting to know as other have pointed out. I would guess at 100s of thousands if not into the millions (mainly labour costs and some potential property assets).

One governing body makes financial and organisational sense.

it doesn't.

the only way it would work would be if you just rebranded everything as the sfa but still had all the different bodies operating the way they are just now.

in your streamlined body who would get a say in matters only concerning the spl clubs?

where would the highland league clubs be governed from? would it be hampden?

should the same people be running men's and women's football?

Interesting thread.

Boyle had originally thought of a Lanarkshire Utd when he took over and there is definitely some sense in it. I would prefer that to us and Scottish football going to the wall.

I wouldn't and nor would thousands of Lanarkshire fitba' fans. If it did happen they'd be as well shutting the door on Scottish fitba' anyway cos I for one wouldn't give a fuck. The only ones who would welcome it would be the new breeds if the venture was a success like ICT. If they didn't get to the top league pretty soon they'd be playing in front of a few hundred. I would go watch amateur fitba', in fact as previously stated FC Dossers of Motherwell would be very much a possibility.

For me the way the thread has gone shows the main problem in perception from many supporters of Scottish football at present.

The problem I find at present is the commercial management at clubs and bodies see their main revenue stream as squeezing even more money out of those who already have made a commitment to Scottish football in terms of season tickets.

I know we live in a different environment to that 50 years ago when we had consistent attendances of 30,000. We now have a larger population however we also have playstations, 24hr movie channels, the internet and much more choice with what to spend our free time and money on.

Rather than looking at merging clubs why not look Motherwell, Accies and Airdrie all stimulating and increasing their attendances by 10,000 through innovative means. These fans have all attended in the past an now apathy, ease of satellite coverage or cost has driven them away .... however in most cases not for good.

Issues for me include a fair number of local fans support the OF as they like to associate with winning clubs. In a league where 100% of the time since its inception only two teams have won it will always make things hard for everyone else. Almost as hard as convincing them to give up half of their home gate receipts.

the only way it would work would be if you just rebranded everything as the sfa but still had all the different bodies operating the way they are just now.

in your streamlined body who would get a say in matters only concerning the spl clubs?

The pro's for centralising everything under one body (following the SRU model) is you have continuity from the top down. The grass roots youth game is engineered to best support the amateurs in the level above, to the level above that, leading eventually up to the full international team.

I'm suggesting that teams out with the top division are primarily tasked with helping and improving the top division while trying to count themselves in it, leading ultimately for the gain of the national team. I reckon you need one body to ensure any adoptions or initiatives are implemented swiftly - proactive rather than reactive as has always been the case.

I have a problem with umpteen buildings, the utility bills, 6+ chairmen, presidents/managing directors, secretaries, honorary board members, non-executive board members, etc. all tugging to and frow in "Pork Barrel" politics.

where would the highland league clubs be governed from? would it be hampden?

All leagues will have particular issues affecting them, surely being down the hall from everyone else has its benefits too. We have been governed politically from a building 400 miles away up until the past 10 years. The majority of the Scottish population at present still support and vote to maintain that.

should the same people be running men's and women's football?

Why not, if it saves money that could be used for even one extra 3G 5-a-side pitch in Scotland then I'm all for it.

I'm not hoping for a Lanarkshire Utd. Nonetheless there is some sense in it. Organic v Non-Organic growth.

For the avoidance of doubt would much rather have 7,000 Well fans turning up on a regular basis! As suggested by Ladywell a more competitive league would make a great difference. Success breads success I think is the phrase.

A more equal spread of 'the finances' would certainly be a start.

I'm not hoping for a Lanarkshire Utd. Nonetheless there is some sense in it. Organic v Non-Organic growth.

For the avoidance of doubt would much rather have 7,000 Well fans turning up on a regular basis! As suggested by Ladywell a more competitive league would make a great difference. Success breads success I think is the phrase.

A more equal spread of 'the finances' would certainly be a start.

We can re-organise the leagues as much as we like but the basic product will still be crap. Turning the SPL into 2 leagues of 10 wont make it any more competetive, the old firm will still be the only 2 teams who will ever win the title. The battle for the european slots will still be between the sides fighting for them now, ie Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee untd, with maybe a Hibs or Kilmarnock if they have a good season, the rest will be relegation candidates.

We need to start by re-organising the structure of the game ie 1 governing body with people in charge who are experienced at running a multi million pound business, much improved facillities for training at all levels, proper coaching and developing young players, etc.

If we are going to change the league structure then make it a proper pyramid set up as they have in England, this gives clubs like Arthurlie, pollock, Edinburgh city etc the chance of league football, and it makes league clubs who constantly finish bottom of Div 3, ie Clyde, Elgin, montrose etc try to improve and retain their league status.