Fir Park - I'm Sorry But It's Time To Go

MJC_MKI

We wouldn't pay to wade through pish anywhere else so i don't see why its acceptable at Fir Park.

I agree BUT someone independent to Motherwell made the decision to play the game. Motherwell can't control temperatures and can't prevent burst pipes. So it's no use blaming Motherwell on this one.

I work in Facilities Management for First Scotrail and the majority of our stations have frozen pipes and will have burst pipes with an increase in temperature.

How many grounds have problems with frozen / burst pipes in these extreme weather conditions?

Rangers game was off last week, Accies have problems and Blackburn's game was off today.

The stadium is only open for one day almost every two weeks and at minus 15 some nights what do we expect???

Good post. It'd been officially declared the coldest December in 100 years obviously you are going to have problems. There have been plenty of burst pipes in my flats, doesn't mean they should be bulldozed.

I remember when football grounds didn't even have toilet facilities.

There is a health and safety inspection before every game by the police and an independent body. This test is even more vigorous at this time of year.

Vigorous test! Are you sure they were shown around Fir Park? I’m no health and safety expert but I would be shocked if they past the East Stand fit for purpose today.

I'm not sure about the long term prospects for Fir Park but I can tell you that the efforts that went in to getting the game on today were phenominal. It was a game which financially, all at the club could ill afford to lose. The work done by Leeann and her team, particularly Ian Wilson and his ground staff was way above and beyond the call of duty.

At The Well Shop we were desperate for the game to go ahead and these guys performed minor miracles in achieving this, although its clear from these comments that conditions were not great.

Our sincere thanks go to all involved in the effort. The press are very quick to criticise the Club when games don't go ahead even though those involved have made every effort. It would be nice if they would recognise these efforts when they are successful. Can't see it making for great soundbytes though..

lan Provan

The Well Shop

Alan makes a fair point, we probably lost money with the Hearts game being rescheduled to a mid week, we can ill afford to lose TV Money and although it sticks in my throat the additional revenue from the scum.

Vigorous test! Are you sure they were shown around Fir Park? I’m no health and safety expert but I would be shocked if they past the East Stand fit for purpose today.

Again I agree but Motherwell didn't decide that the game was going ahead today!

Maybe the H&S team were bribed by SKY! :notworthy:

I agree BUT someone independent to Motherwell made the decision to play the game. Motherwell can't control temperatures and can't prevent burst pipes. So it's no use blaming Motherwell on this one.

Id argue it would probably cost less to drain the pipes in the East and South stands and refill the morning of the game? then theres nothing to freeze!

good point that.

Obviously couldnt do it in the Cooper + the Main as they have facilities used between games but due to them being in use their pipes didnt freeze, in sustained weather like this it surely must make sense getting 1 plumber to take a few hours and drain down the east + south then refill if the game goes ahead, would save getting a few plumbers to cut and fit new piping then refill the systems

Id argue it would probably cost less to drain the pipes in the East and South stands and refill the morning of the game? then theres nothing to freeze!

absolutely no question this is the way to go ( and has been suggested many years in a row)

intial expense vs repeated expense and potential call offs everytime the stadium goes into event mode

hell it might even be cheaper to call in the Porta Loo mobs when the facilities are critical to a game being hosted.

but all of this aside:

the clean sweep of another new management team seem to be slipping right back into the groove that always happens

Fire fighting to keep the club alive is all very well, but when the basics are all getting missed again, like no segregation in the main stand, Urine running down the concourse, website comms failing, no team manager, relying on fan loyalty to just put up and shut up, rolling over to incompetence..........

Sure some things will be for the greater good,and things are bad financially, but I for one cant help getting the feeling that many feel they are no longer part of any Motherwell football club anymore. Worryingly for me I'm certainly at that point.....again :notworthy:

Bought my half-season ticket today and already having regrets. Today I queued 45 minutes in the freezing cold for a ticket - ONE woman serving at the desk, and with every single customer, their name and address are required. Mental.

I then took my seat in the East Stand. No pies. Mental. No coke. Mental. No toilets (both sets were out) Mental. Motherwell playing like shitey school kids. Mental.

The East stand literally turned into a large waterfall with all the water from the bogs (raw feckin sewage) running freely down the steps so thousands of us were ankle deep in piss. Mental.

All of this was frustrating to say the least, but the icing on the cake for me was seeing a pensioner, mustve been pushing 70, getting his boaby out and pissing into one of the bins on the concourse, positioned to catch the gushing water. Now THAT was mental. These conditions were dangerous, disgusting and completely unnecessary, and in all honestly could and perhaps should have resulted in a postponed match.

There aren't many of us Well fans turn up, which means we are far more important to our club as individuals, than the fans of other bigger clubs. Treating us like this is the last thing the club should be doing. I do hope there weren't any kids there for the 1st time, cause there's fuck all chance they'll be back

I went to toilet before KO, and found there was no running water. I went to the kiosk to see if they had any running water, to my amazement they didn't!!! They gave me some of that hygiene hand gel. But the people on the kiosk serving food didn't have facilities to wash their hands which is a disgrace.

Shite I know, but bottom line is that they could not afford to lose the money from that game today no matter what.

But freezing pipes happen every year, they must be able to do something as some have said empty the system, fit heated insulation onto the pipes that they can turn off and on when required.

2010 and people are still expected to put up with these conditions is a total disgrace, no wonder no one can be fucked going to the football any more.