Back Stuart Mccall

italix

I can't believe the rubbish being spouted on earlier posts by some fans.

This is a fresh start for us, sitting in a good position in the league for a final push for the top six - and european footie again for us next season.

Get of your high horses and back the man!

Cheers

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact of the matter is people would have moaned on here if we did a Benfica (gave Mourinho his first manergerial job) or a Barcelona (give Pepe the job after one year in the 4th tier with the Second Side).

For some reason people here can't get through their thick skulls that what goes before means jack shit... look how many managers have been shite at us and went on to make themselves a quality career (McLiesh, Davies etc.) in management - while those that have done well with us have been mostly shite else where (Butcher)

There's no point in not getting behind him in my opinion. I was never his biggest fan to say the least but he's the Motherwell manager now and if we win the cup this year and he celebrates by getting blotto outside the Main Stand and falling off a car roof with a can of lager then I think I may just be able to warm to him!

What is all this rubbish. I won't be spending my 20 quad going to watch Motherwell. That is your choice but the club needs your 20 quad to keep the club afloat. No 20 quads no Motherwell Football Club. We need every single penny going into the club. If we can get more people to come and spend 20 quad we might have some sort of transfer budget. All this we are crap so I am not going back. We have been crap for as long as I can remember. The best way to support the team is get yourself and your 20 quad along to Fir Park or things aint going to get any better.

If it's good enough for Neil Warnock, good enough for me!

Motherwell have landed the right boss in Stuart McCall, says mentor Neil Warnock

Dec 30 2010 Exclusive by Gavin Berry

NEIL WARNOCK reckons Motherwell will reap the rewards of appointing Stuart McCall as boss because he is a natural leader.

The former Scotland star has accepted the offer to succeed his old international boss Craig Brown in the Fir Park hotseat and will be paraded today.

QPR boss Warnock credits himself for setting the ex-Rangers ace on the coaching road after he took him to Sheffield United where he eventually became his No.2.

The pair parted company in 2007 when McCall was offered the chance to boss his first club, Bradford City, and spent two-and-a-half years in the Valley Parade hotseat until February of this year.

Now he's returning to the dugout and Warnock reckons the 46-year-old will be a huge hit at Fir Park. He said: "When I signed Stuart I told him I was bringing him in as a player but wanted him to come into the coaching side. I just loved the way he went about his football.

"I encouraged him to listen to me on things other than coaching when I was manager.

"I think he learned a lot just being in the room with me being on the telephone, as daft as that sounds.

"I loved the way he wanted to go about his football. I didn't actually think he'd play as much as he did in the year he was there as a player - but it was always just going to be a step towards the coaching.

"He was made for that side of the game. He just encouraged everyone all the time.

"There was nothing nasty, not like me. He'd just tell people where to go and why he wanted them to do this, that and the other."

Loftus Road gaffer Warnock - whose side sit at the Championship summit - reckons McCall let his heart rule his head when he took up the offer to take charge at Valley Parade, where he had spent six years as a player.

However, he believes the struggles the Scot endured with the Bantams will ensure Motherwell get a better boss.

McCall took over at the Yorkshire club after relegation to the fourth tier of English football but his appointment in May 2007 helped trigger a huge rise in the sale of cut-price season tickets that made Bradford the best-supported side in the division.

But after finishing 10th and ninth in his first two full seasons in charge it became clear Bradford were short of a team capable of challenging for promotion and McCall was axed.

However, Warnock believes that could be to Well's benefit. He said: "The Motherwell job will be great for the club and him. He's now had some experience managing and I think it's a good thing because he's got enthusiasm and drive.

"He's obviously learned from his mistakes and that all augurs well for him and Motherwell.

"When you're a manager you learn from your mistakes. We've all had bad spells and you overcome them.

"Stuart learned a lot of the realities of management at that level because they don't have anything at all at Bradford.

"In fact, all they had was a good crowd - and that's because they sold cheap season tickets!

"The circumstances at Bradford would have been very difficult for him but he'll be much better for the experience.

"The biggest asset Motherwell will be gaining in appointing Stuart as manager is his enthusiasm and drive to do well.

"He'll be determined even more than ever and it's a great league to show what you can do. Motherwell is a good club, a friendly and family-type club. He'll be perfect there."

Warnock revealed he used to joke about using McCall's status at Ibrox to get him the Rangers job but it never worked out - and he was gutted when they eventually split.

He said: "I was disappointed when Stuart left me three years ago but to be fair to him he had to make a decision.

"He loved Bradford, that club was the love of his life when he played for them. I think the offer just pulled on his heart strings too much and he couldn't turn it down. I think he learned a lot with me. I gave him a lot of freedom and I hope it will stand him in good stead.

"I didn't say to Stuart at the time but I thought he was leaving too soon. But when you're a young man you want to get on with your life, you want to get on the managerial ladder and I accepted that.

"It's funny but me and him always talked about managing Rangers together. I said to him that was the only chance I'd get of getting the job at Ibrox - if he came with me."

McCall didn't waste any time getting up to speed on his new club and their SPL opponents.

He watched Well in action at Parkhead last night after taking in Hamilton's game against Aberdeen yesterday afternoon.

His first match in charge will be against Accies at New Douglas Park on Saturday.