Back Stuart Mccall

italix

To be honest netherton I have found the whole press coverage and interest in the job to be shameful. Or to be more accurate the BBC's reporting of it on their website and national radio station. Journalists with no knowledge of what was going on or (probably) very little interest. Obviously the OF is the big news but compared to the very accurate (and lengthy) coverage Killie and Dun Utd were getting on BBC Scotland last year what we received was very poor. Chick Young, a man who didn't have a clue at ANY stage, openly stating tonight that "Motherwell are a team on the slide" and "Aberdeen will finish above Motherwell" and "Stuart McCall is a gamble" with no hint of embarrassment with regards to how much in the dark he is about goings on at Fir Park. Now, I don't necesarily disagree with what he said it but it was said with such arrogance it is almost like he forgot for a moment which team he 'claims' to follow, how their season is going, how they treated their last manager and who they replaced him with.

TBH it amazes me that the usual suspects at BBC scotland sports have got a job as a pundit. The only qualification required seems to be an arrogant self centred pr1ck that talks over their colleagues and knows the square root of f#ck all - oh yes and bum licks the old firm managers in no particular order.

How Real Radio is worse is a mystery, but a couple of baboons would be better qualified to have a debate on Scottish football.

By the way good luck Stuart McCall.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck to Stuart McCall, he'll need it.

He absolutely cannot afford to lose on Saturday though.

Course he fucking can, if he goes off and wins the 2 or 3 games after annoying as a loss to Accies would be it would quickly be forgotten. It wouldn't be a great start and would certainly see an already sceptical support struggle to warm to him but one game is rarely ever worth more than the 3 points on offer so lets not go overboard. He certainly could do with a good start and the quicker the first 3 points are on the board the better for lots of reasons!

This Saturday's a big game, but win or lose I wouldn't give McCall all the credit for just a couple of days work. If people want immediate results, and think they can judge the guy on this weekend's performance, then they're deluded.

I don't know what would have qualified as a great appointment this time round. When was the last time we had one (at the time, not in hindsight)? I'm sure that every appointment from McLean onwards has had its fair share of sceptics, I can't speak for the earlier ones but I'm sure they were the same.

It will be nice when we can one day appoint a "Motherwell man" as manager, but who the guy played for really shouldn't come into it, he's not playing for them anymore and has a new job to do, and I'm confident McCall will give his all at FP, and we'll see what that amounts to. My opinion on McCall will be based on what he does from today onwards.

This Saturday's a big game, but win or lose I wouldn't give McCall all the credit for just a couple of days work. If people want immediate results, and think they can judge the guy on this weekend's performance, then they're deluded.

I don't know what would have qualified as a great appointment this time round. When was the last time we had one (at the time, not in hindsight)? I'm sure that every appointment from McLean onwards has had its fair share of sceptics, I can't speak for the earlier ones but I'm sure they were the same.

mcghee, brown and gannon all had varying positive achievements as managers.

butcher, malpas and davies had a connection with the club.

mcleish and black were complete blank slates.

even harri kampman had a glowing euro victory on his record.

mccall was absolutely honking at bradford. played 133, won 46, lost 52 drawn 35. they were the bookies favourites to get promoted at the beginning of his first two season and they never even made the playoff.

mcghee, brown and gannon all had varying positive achievements as managers.

butcher, malpas and davies had a connection with the club.

mcleish and black were complete blank slates.

even harri kampman had a glowing euro victory on his record.

mccall was absolutely honking at bradford. played 133, won 46, lost 52 drawn 35. they were the bookies favourites to get promoted at the beginning of his first two season and they never even made the playoff.

McCall has almost exactly the same win percentage at Bradford as Butcher did at Coventry/Sunderland before he joined us. There are far too many factors in lpay to assess whether he can be successful at Fir Park. There are plenty of folk on here that would never have believed Big Eck would turn into a decent Scotland manager and make a good job of it in the EPL. And who would have guessed Roberto Martinez would turn out to be an EPL gaffer?

McCall has almost exactly the same win percentage at Bradford as Butcher did at Coventry/Sunderland before he joined us. There are far too many factors in lpay to assess whether he can be successful at Fir Park. There are plenty of folk on here that would never have believed Big Eck would turn into a decent Scotland manager and make a good job of it in the EPL. And who would have guessed Roberto Martinez would turn out to be an EPL gaffer?

I would like to agree with you weeyin but with my track record I have probably not understood what you are meaning :lol:

McCall: Mulling over options

..Motherwell's new manager Stuart McCall has confirmed he would like an assistant already based in Scotland.

The former Bradford City boss has just succeeded Craig Brown at Fir Park and now has one eye on assembling his backroom staff.

McCall has good contacts in England, but is against uprooting any families and now wants someone who is Scottish-based.

The 46-year-old is in no rush to make an appointment and his first priority is getting the better of Hamilton on New Year's Day.

Preference

"I would like it preferably to be someone who is already in Scotland," said McCall.

"I had a couple of people in England but it would mean them uprooting their families so I would prefer it to be someone who is up here.

"I've got an open mind. There have been three or four names mentioned but I will look over the next week or so and speak with the club.

"There are some good guys out there who are out of work but it's getting the right one.

"The advice I got was to devise a list of the things I'm good at and the things I'm bad at and get someone in who ticks the things I'm bad at.

"We'll see but there is nothing in force at the minute. We've got the game on Saturday and we will prepare for that.

"We then don't have a game until the cup game eight days later so hopefully it will be done in that time."

:wallbash: Basically, his track record prior to joining us is the same as Big Tel's was before joining us - and he turned out OK.

Butcher had already been at the club for a year and couldnt fit what he knew about the club , its playing staff and the league in general outwith the h**s on the back of a postage stamp.

Good luck Stuart

Bet you got, "Yes, ex Rangers great, Stuart McCall".
Even the official site has got in on the act.

The announcement leads with "Former Rangers and Scotland midfielder...." and the 3rd picture has the caption "The former Rangers midfielder poses for pictures". No mention of Bradford, Everton or Sheffield Utd.

'Flow must have been taking lessons from the Rancid :wallbash:

What about Leitchie as his assistant. Motherwell through and through

Hopefully not.

Wouldn't be happy with him coming back at all.

Plus, we know it's pretty much 100% certain that if/when McCall goes Leitch would be the new manager after that, and I definitely don't want that.

Even the official site has got in on the act.

The announcement leads with "Former Rangers and Scotland midfielder...." and the 3rd picture has the caption "The former Rangers midfielder poses for pictures". No mention of Bradford, Everton or Sheffield Utd.

'Flow must have been taking lessons from the Rancid :D

I see where you are coming from, but in reality, it is normal to list the biggest clubs. I would expect had we appointed Nicky Butt, we would be reading about former Manchester United legend. And forgot all about Newcastle, Birmingham City and South China.

At the end of the day, his biggest achievements were with Rangers and Scotland, the press and punters up here will most associate him with those two aspects. I don't really see the problem.

All the best McCall. I am yet to be convinced, but will support you until you do something to deserve otherwise!

I note in his interview he said his first Scottish club game was Motherwell v Celtic in 1978, does anyone know the background to that? Given he was born in Leeds and his dad is Scots is his dad a Well / Celtic fan? Would be a touch ironic if he was actually Celtic daft as a kid!

I know at the end of the day it doesn't make a great deal of difference as long as he starts winning games, just curious!

I note in his interview he said his first Scottish club game was Motherwell v Celtic in 1978, does anyone know the background to that? Given he was born in Leeds and his dad is Scots is his dad a Well / Celtic fan? Would be a touch ironic if he was actually Celtic daft as a kid!

I know at the end of the day it doesn't make a great deal of difference as long as he starts winning games, just curious!

Reading the Accies forum prior to the game on Saturday they actually had a thread about him being an Accies fan as a kid and how we had continued the theme of employing manager's with a soft-spot for them.

Seemingly McCall's grandparents stayed in Hamilton and he used to head north frequently during school holidays and took in Hamilton games when he was up.

Could be he also went to Fir Park on occasion also?

Reading the Accies forum prior to the game on Saturday they actually had a thread about him being an Accies fan as a kid and how we had continued the theme of employing manager's with a soft-spot for them.

Seemingly McCall's grandparents stayed in Hamilton and he used to head north frequently during school holidays and took in Hamilton games when he was up.

Could be he also went to Fir Park on occasion also?

Cheers Andy, looks like he would fit in right at home on the ex OF supporters thread with a history like that! Especially if you chuck in the England U21 story and how he dodged that to end up playing for Scotland! :rolleyes: