Blackman, Gow and Fitzpatrick

postiejim

Hopefully Fitzpatrick will get handed a P45 and McCall will free up a wage to sign a left sided midfielder who at least matches the quality of the rest of the squad.

I am tending to be of the same opinion now, I like Fitzy cause he seems like a decent lad and usually puts in a shift but he looked like a bit of a weak link yesterday. If things are as tight as they seem I would possibly look to move Fitzy on but will not be disappointed if he does get his contract extended, good squad player.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Stuart McCall himself he's looking to bring in a left sided player in this month's transfer window. Could it be that he's waiting to find out if he can land that type of player first before deciding on Marc Fitzpatrick's future. For the lad's sake I hope he knows where he stands quickly, so that he can get fixed up elsewhere if his contract isn't renewed.

Could well be proved wrong but I'm sure Fitzpatrick is an attractive option to many managers because he has some versatility about him whilst not costing the earth in comparison to some.

Many I'm sure would argue he's hardly master of one of position never mind three but given he can fill in at left midfield and left-back (I would like to think there wouldn't be a repeat of the rabbit caught in headlights displays of his youth there) as well as his preferred central midfield role if we're as strapped as we believe I can't see him not getting a deal until the summer at least.

Fitzpatrick deserves a deal for effort and he has stuck in when he wasn't in the squad, he has rehabilitated from countless injuries and is an unglamourous workhorse who is versatile. Exactly the sort of player we need. Fitzy must stay.

Whilst seeing the benefit in keeping Fitzpatrick at Fir Park as a back-up player, my only issue is over his fitness. 5 seasons of countless injuries should certainly be coming into the Club's thinking when discussing new contracts.

Fair point but its not as if he has had the same recurring injury all the time he has had a series of nasty knocks and niggles. But I think it'll be a 6 month gig again for him and then McCall has a bit of time to decide if his face fits.

Fitzpatrick deserves a deal for effort and he has stuck in when he wasn't in the squad, he has rehabilitated from countless injuries and is an unglamourous workhorse who is versatile. Exactly the sort of player we need. Fitzy must stay.

Im sorry but i do couldnt disagree with this more. Other phrases that have been used in his defence are "squad player", "solid/ reliable", "cheap"...

1) Hes not versatile, hes even worse on the left than he is in the middle.

2) Hes not a workhorse - Lasley is and when have you seen him cover as much ground as las in a game?

3) Hes not solid or reliable - quite the opposite imo.

4) We have a lot of young talent dying to get a chance - these guys can be used as squad players and one may turn into a gem.

5) He may be cheap but as it is we need to save every penny we can and cant justify paying a wage for a goal he scored 7 years ago.

6) He has done nothing of note since the hearts semi in 2004.

The only word I would agree with there is unglamourous. Why should he get a new deal? The truth is Fitz has had countless chances to impress in his 7 years here and has never really done so since his early days. Move on and good luck to him.

The only word I would agree with there is unglamourous. Why should he get a new deal? The truth is Fitz has had countless chances to impress in his 7 years here and has never really done so since his early days. Move on and good luck to him.
There's your answer. You don't stay with a club for 7 years if the management don't rate you.

Does anyone know how many appearances Fitzpatrick has he had in the team at his preferred position, that could be classed as a run?

Until such time that a better player for that position appears, and that could be for anyone in the team, should we not just try and give him/them abit of encouragement.

There's your answer. You don't stay with a club for 7 years if the management don't rate you.

So does that mean we should just sign him up till he retires? How much longer more time does he get to do nothing before we say enough is enough?

If we extend his contract 6, 12, 18 months, whatever he won't have progressed any further up the pecking order and we all know it.

I said that earlier on in the thread. If he was as bad as some on here think, he would have been punted years ago.

Not just about that though. For me two things need to be taken into consideration.

1. Will he ever be a first choice pick for us over a sustained period of time?

2. What 'damage' is Marc doing to his own career by staying with us? Okay he has had his injury problems but even when he has been fit and healthy he hasn't had much game time.

So does that mean we should just sign him up till he retires? How much longer more time does he get to do nothing before we say enough is enough?
I don't think you understood what I wrote. The managers that he has worked with (and there have been many) obviously believe he offers something to the team. So they don't share your opinion that he 'gets to do nothing' - otherwise they would have punted him.

What 'we say' is irrelevant.

I don't think you understood what I wrote. The managers that he has worked with (and there have been many) obviously believe he offers something to the team. So they don't share your opinion that he 'gets to do nothing' - otherwise they would have punted him.

What 'we say' is irrelevant.

Ok I understand what you are saying but at some point this talent or whatever the coaching staff see needs to be transferred on to the pitch which it hasn't.

Have to agree with mfc88, fail to see what Fitz offers to be honest, other than the fact that he's left footed so maybe offers balance in that sense. Unfortunately he gives the ball away regularly, doesnt win many tackles, doesnt score many goals and for me is just not involved enough in a game to justify an extension. In saying that I suspect he'll get another 6 months to allow McCall to make his own mind up and if he does I will continue to support him when he pulls on the C&A! :lol:

Have to agree with mfc88, fail to see what Fitz offers to be honest, other than the fact that he's left footed so maybe offers balance in that sense. Unfortunately he gives the ball away regularly, doesnt win many tackles, doesnt score many goals and for me is just not involved enough in a game to justify an extension. In saying that I suspect he'll get another 6 months to allow McCall to make his own mind up and if he does I will continue to support him when he pulls on the C&A! :nod:

Amen!

Steven Meechan has 6 months left on his deal. He has a lot of potential and has impressed on his loan spell @ Albion Rovers but has cut it short to try impress McCall by being at Fir Park daily, surely it would make sense to give HIM game time to prove his worth to a new deal which could benefit MFC rather than Fitzpatrick getting yet another deal and potentially stunting the development of a promising younster.

I know I can come across as a Fitzy hater but Im looking at this from a club perspective, if we had cash free I wouldnt object to giving him a 6 month extension as he may be average/poor but he`s a whole hearted + dedicated player and can cover 2 or 3 positions so could be useful if injuries were to bite. BUT the fact is the club is rooked and EVERY PENNY is a prisoner,I dont care if he is only on £100pw its money we can use elsewhere to benefit the club and we simply cannot afford passengers. Also we have youngsters desperate to make an impression and these guys could benefit the club by becomming good enough to command a transfer fee so we must try develop these guys before giving yet another extension to a guy who has failed to make much of a first team impression in 7 years and is at best,a div1 player.

For all those asking to give Meechan a chance! Why can't we do both??? As far as I'm aware Meechan isn't a left midfielder so who you going to drop Lasley or Jennings???? Is there no room for both players at training or in the squads! Or squad is really small, both are here, keep them both!!

Also Albion Rovers is a massive massive jump to SPL football! Use Forbes as a gauge, people are saying Forbes isn't good enough need to realise that he starred with Dumbarton before returning to us! Different style of players of course but what makes Meechan better!

It's certainly interesting to note that Aberdeen fans, and now those of Dundee United, appear to want Blackman. Tough titties if, as McCall says, he comes back North it's only to Fir Park.