Fao Leeann Dempster

dinnae-punt-it

Leeann,

I know that you read the boards, so I would be very grateful if you could justify the 'Steering Groups' promotions of a 10 team SPL. You have made a big point of calling Motherwell F.C. 'Scotland's Community Club', so why have MFC, through your involvement in the 'Steering Group', given support for a 10 team SPL?

I am not having a go, but I would appreciate your views and opinions on why you think a 10 team SPL is good for Scottish Football and its supporters.

I truely hope that you are able to respond, because as a valued member of the Motherwell F.C community, I feel it would be beneficial for all our supporters to be kept informed of the reasons & justification given for our clubs support of this league format.

Would it be possible for one of the Moderators to pin this to the top of the forum, so that it doesn't get lost in amongst the other topics?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although not a popular choice its being sold as the only one to prevent total financial meltdown for SPL member clubs.(Claim is a bigger league will mean an average loss in revenue of around £1M)

The reasoning being ,An expanded league means spreading the exisitng meagre wealth among more clubs.

If this is the way things are going and it looks likely then there has to be an adequate provision for the lower level clubs and a framework for developing young players.

On one of the phone ins someone suggested that to balance things out the League cup structure could be changed where only scottish players were eligible to play or the regional leagues style format be reintroduced.

I think the clubs have to look at the bigger picture and what's best for everyone and not just Celtic and Rangers.

However I don't think its an appropriate time or place for our Chief Exec to comment on the proposals.

However I don't think its an appropriate time or place for our Chief Exec to comment on the proposals.

supporters could be directed via a link to a statement on the club website and there's no time like the present.

i agree with the poster yesterday (weeyin i think) who said that the answers / statement may be less than informative / enlightening.

however I think it's fair to challenge the senior management of the club to explain their thinking - as part of the six club steering group and as a club in our own right.

This proposal directly affects the quality of the froduct we are being asked to continue support.

supporters could be directed via a link to a statement on the club website and there's no time like the present.

i agree with the poster yesterday (weeyin i think) who said that the answers / statement may be less than informative / enlightening.

however I think it's fair to challenge the senior management of the club to explain their thinking - as part of the six club steering group and as a club in our own right.

This proposal directly affects the quality of the froduct we are being asked to continue support.

Fair point Steve, the shiny new official site would be the place to make a statement, However what sort of statement could be released to disguise the fact that this is what the OF want and so most probably what we'll get.

Fair point Steve, the shiny new official site would be the place to make a statement, However what sort of statement could be released to disguise the fact that this is what the OF want and so most probably what we'll get.

Yep - I've come round to that way of thinking.

As Steelboy points out on the other thread we're hanging on to the OF nipple for as long as they'll produce their poisoned milk.

bottom line

We as a club are spineless and lay down to the old firm and now it seems the SFA and anyone else that pisses all over us with the only exception being Cardiff.

Anyone remember the 5% ticket levy fiasco?

Time the rest of Scottish football resigned, set up our own league and invited the Old Firm on the terms of the rest of Scottish Football. Fuck them they actually need us more than we need them and the sooner we and the rest of the spineless teams in the SPL realised this the better.

We as a club are spineless and lay down to the old firm and now it seems the SFA and anyone else that pisses all over us with the only exception being Cardiff.

Anyone remember the 5% ticket levy fiasco?

Time the rest of Scottish football resigned, set up our own league and invited the Old Firm on the terms of the rest of Scottish Football. Fuck them they actually need us more than we need them and the sooner we and the rest of the spineless teams in the SPL realised this the better.

Wouldn't actually take much as Clubs would just have to agree to either disband or resign from the SPL (subject to contracted notice period etc.) and reapply to join the SFL who would receive them with open arms and I believe would also happily look at their own management and governance structure to ensure fair play to all.

There are two many organisations SPL, SFA, SFL SJFL or whatever its called, etc and really its a radical shake up of Scottish football that's needed from top to bottom with maybe only a single organisation with directorates for the National teams (all levels) and club football (both professional and junior). Save a fortune and all working to a single strategy thru a single nominated management board.

You have to wonder why ourselves and St Mirren were invited onto the steering group ahead of Hearts and Utd.

Was it because the OF knew we'd be easier to deal with and would bend over like good little public school boys should?

Or did they genuinely feel that'd we'd represent the Hamilton and Inverness's of this league and listen to what we had to say?

Or did JB just go along with it for the extra money?

If it's the latter, then he has only himself to blame if we end up in the SPL2 in the coming years.

A 12 team league has given us an opportunity to bring through more youngsters, a ten team league won't. We'll end up with tomorrow's equivalent of Derek Townsley and Karl Ready at the club.

Those fans shouting about Crags being past it will be wishing they'd shut up.

Every team outside the OF will be frightened of relegation and will play even more negative football. Which in turn will drive more fans away and hinder the development again of our younger players. Of course older players will also be looking for more dough as the clubs will supposedly be better off.

The Press are on about 3 going down and 1 up at the end of next season if this was to go ahead but surely 2nd place in the First Division should be getting the playoff against 8th place. Or is that too much like playing fair?

At least it'd give one of the 2 sides from the First Division a chance of staying up the following season. Then again could mean we lose a 1/3 of the league, instead of 1/4.

Who are the SPL trying to kid? This isn't about what's best for the game, this is and always is what's best for the old Firm.

You have to wonder why ourselves and St Johnstone were invited onto the steering group ahead of Hearts and Utd.

I thought it was St Mirren as i read it, i didn't know it was St Johnstone

Basically because were easy and are desperate for money we'll do anything the OF say which is a sad fact that our own board dont have the balls to stand up against them

The reasoning being ,An expanded league means spreading the exisitng meagre wealth among more clubs.

That would only be the case though if we allowed Celtic and Rangers to keep their 99%, or whatever they take.

Surely if we expanded to 16/18 teams if wouldn't be the case that Celtic/Rangers keep all their money but everyone else has to sacrifice 20% or whatever to accomodate the extra teams.

If there are going to be changes, either way, this unfair distribution of TV money, and the likes, has to be the first thing on the agenda.

I thought it was St Mirren as i read it, i didn't know it was St Johnstone

Basically because were easy and are desperate for money we'll do anything the OF say which is a sad fact that our own board dont have the balls to stand up against them

You are right St Mirren.

Although not a popular choice its being sold as the only one to prevent total financial meltdown for SPL member clubs.(Claim is a bigger league will mean an average loss in revenue of around £1M)

If this is the way things are going and it looks likely then there has to be an adequate provision for the lower level clubs and a framework for developing young players.

On one of the phone ins someone suggested that to balance things out the League cup structure could be changed where only scottish players were eligible to play or the regional leagues style format be reintroduced.

I think the clubs have to look at the bigger picture and what's best for everyone and not just Celtic and Rangers.

Short term pain for long term gain....the loss in revenue that is, no?

Leeann,

If we are subjected to a 10 team SPL thanks to Motherwell not only voting for it, but being a part of the steering group which actually brought it to the table, then you can shove your season ticket and I'll be back at Fir Park if Blantyre Vics ever draw them in the Scottish Cup.

Cheers,

Jay

i'm very suprised people feel so strongly about this.

is playing 9 teams 4 times so different from playing 6 teams 3 times plus 5 teams 4 times?

it's two less games and instead of playing accies and midden you play one more game against the teams who finish in the other half of the league from you.

I think it's quite clear that the needs of the supporters isn't a major concern here, since our thoughts don't seem to have been considered. Fans will come and go, but there's only one Sky TV. They can always chuck another couple of quid on the ticket price to make up for the drop in numbers.