The Number 10 Shirt

sausage_factory

I don't see much point in retiring it now, personally. Would have been different if we'd decided to leave it out this year, as then it would have been harder to know if/when to bring it back. But since Clarky wanted to wear it, it would seem a bit odd to suddenly drop it again at some point in the future when everyone involved has (hopefully) moved on somewhat.

I don't see much point in retiring it now, personally. Would have been different if we'd decided to leave it out this year, as then it would have been harder to know if/when to bring it back. But since Clarky wanted to wear it, it would seem a bit odd to suddenly drop it again at some point in the future when everyone involved has (hopefully) moved on somewhat.

Agreed. No point in retiring it now.

has this happened anywhere else ? and what are the implications of Euro games when (I believe) 1-11 is required to start game ?

Just international games now that stick to the 1-11 rule as UEFA now use the squad numbers and have bowed to the marketing men (for instance it means that only one man can appear in a red Man Utd no 7 shirt - so to protect his CR7 brand!)

If International Teams don't use 1-11. IN last European Qualifications Italy kept their squad numbers from the previous World Cup, and only added numbers when and needed.

Didnt Italy do that because they had won the World Cup with that squad and wanted to ride their luck or sumthing like that?

Personally, I don't agree with 'retiring' shirt numbers at all...just seems a bizarre thing to do for me.

I made myself clear on this issue at the time but I think its preposterous to retire numbers. The club tradition should be, and has been, that the outstanding player, whether in ability, loyalty or commitment, at the club wears the no.10 shirt.

There have been many great players worn it in the past and that should continue in the future. If you want to remember Phil O'Donnell you should do it by keeping the no.10 shirt out there on the field instead of retiring it.

If International Teams don't use 1-11. IN last European Qualifications Italy kept their squad numbers from the previous World Cup, and only added numbers when and needed.

South American competitions (such as Copa Libertadores de América, Copa Sudamericana and Copa América) require that the teams use numbers 1-25

I made myself clear on this issue at the time but I think its preposterous to retire numbers. The club tradition should be, and has been, that the outstanding player, whether in ability, loyalty or commitment, at the club wears the no.10 shirt.

There have been many great players worn it in the past and that should continue in the future. If you want to remember Phil O'Donnell you should do it by keeping the no.10 shirt out there on the field instead of retiring it.

I agree, think if the club were going to retire the number 10 they would have by now. I think the number 10 should be kept, what an honour for a young player to get in the future if they are given it, something for all up and coming future well stars to aspire to.

The best way to remember Phil is to see the number 10 out on the pitch, sure his family agree, can imagine the pride they feel seeing Davie wear it each week.

I don't agree with shirts being retired. I accept the arguments of those that say shirts should be retired, but life goes on.

Look at Manchester United and their classic number 7's - Best, Robson, Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo.

You could easily have said that the short should have been retired after any one of those. Or in memory of Best after his death. But life goes on.

As for retiring the shirt in memory of Phil, is the naming of a stand not enough?