Jock Wallace @ Motherwell 1982-83

thewhitepele

With the news that Kenny Black could be Mccalls assistant,got me thinking about Jock Wallaces season in charge at Fir Park,dont know how many are old enough to remember,but me,i have never been able to forgive the guy for totally dismantling the 81-82 record breaking promotion winning squad,when he took over,letting Willie Irvine leave for Hibs where he ended being top scorer in scotland iirc,not giving that squad a chance and bringing in a bunch of has beens to replace them like Alex Forsyth and Johannes Edvaldsson,playing Steve Mclleland as a centre forward when had been one of the best defenders we had,then to top it off once he had finished ruining the squad he pissed off to return to Ibrox at the end of the season.i had better not be the only one who remembers this or im off to put my name down for the next vacancy at the old folks home.

With the news that Kenny Black could be Mccalls assistant,got me thinking about Jock Wallaces season in charge at Fir Park,dont know how many are old enough to remember,but me,i have never been able to forgive the guy for totally dismantling the 81-82 record breaking promotion winning squad,when he took over,letting Willie Irvine leave for Hibs where he ended being top scorer in scotland iirc,not giving that squad a chance and bringing in a bunch of has beens to replace them like Alex Forsyth and Johannes Edvaldsson,playing Steve Mclleland as a centre forward when had been one of the best defenders we had,then to top it off once he had finished ruining the squad he pissed off to return to Ibrox at the end of the season.i had better not be the only one who remembers this or im off to put my name down for the next vacancy at the old folks home.

Commonly referred to as the dark days

Ooft - hatchet job - £850K debt - club on the brink etc

A couple of 6s and a 7 vs the OF in quick succession if I mind right as well.

Not sticking up for him or anything because I still shudder when I think of that season but did Davie Hay not do a similar thing to McGhee in that he allowed loads of players to leave and then buggered off to coach in the States so when Wallace took over he didn't have a lot of players to choose from? Thus kickstarting one of the worst player recruitment exercises ever witnessed.

Or am I totally wrong?????

I was a 9-year old Motherwell supporting anorak at the time!!!!

Not sticking up for him or anything because I still shudder when I think of that season but did Davie Hay not do a similar thing to McGhee in that he allowed loads of players to leave and then buggered off to coach in the States so when Wallace took over he didn't have a lot of players to choose from? Thus kickstarting one of the worst player recruitment exercises ever witnessed.

Or am I totally wrong?????

I was a 9-year old Motherwell supporting anorak at the time!!!!

Davie Hay left not long after the 81-82 season finished,he didnt have anything to do with dismantling the squad that was all Mr Wallaces own work.

Commonly referred to as the dark days

Ooft - hatchet job - £850K debt - club on the brink etc

A couple of 6s and a 7 vs the OF in quick succession if I mind right as well.

Pretty sure your talking about the 84-85 season when Tommy Mclean took over after we were relegated had to get rid of the high earners,and bring in dross for the 1st division like Derek Murray at left back jeez i still get a shiver just thinking how bad he was,we then had to sell Mcallister and Mauchlen to Leicster for £250k to survive.Our first 2 home games in 82-83 were 2-2 v rangers then a 0-7 v celtic

Cheers for the info Pele. I stand corrected.

A particular low point for me that season was the 4-3 defeat to Clyde in a SC replay at Fir Park. Did Nicky Walker not drop the ball into the net or something?

That one i do remember we had swapped Willie Irvine for Bobby Flavell,who then scored an og in that cup defeat.

Did we not beat the h**s and Smelic two home game on the trot that season McCLair getting all the goals ?

feckin cock of a man. Used us to get back to Rangers and left us in total disarray.Loathed him at Rangers ,loathed him at M'well. Don't know who i hated more at the time, him or that fat diving bastard Derek Johnstone :blush:

Was it the Junior Burns goa ;) l at Ibrox that got Greig the sack and Wallace went back ?

Just checked the Stats for 83-84 season ;) 4 league wins :blush:

First victory 2-1 away at Castlegreyskull 22/10/83

next win first home victory 1-0 St johnstone 22/02/84

Then beat Hivees away 2-1 10/03/84

Then St midden at home 1-0 21/04/84

Were bottom of league from 31/12/83 till end of season !

Won 4 Drew 7 Lost 25 Scored 31 Conceded 75 Bottom with 15 points 8 adrift of St Johnstone

Cheers for the info Pele. I stand corrected.

A particular low point for me that season was the 4-3 defeat to Clyde in a SC replay at Fir Park. Did Nicky Walker not drop the ball into the net or something?

I think we were 3-1 up in that game then a certain Pat Nevin ran riot for Clyde and we lost 3-4. I remember the opening day game as well against Rangers 2-2 after being 0-2 down, maybe that nice mr Yabbasturd could put the well v rangers game online somewhere for us to watch again .But yes it was a bleak time for M.F.C under big Jock Wallace.

Ah the memories, I remember getting my heels and ankles kicked black and blue after we equalised against the h**s in the season opener. Also my big mate took a right hook from guys we were standing talking to after wishing us all the best for the season when they wre 2 up. Fuckers could not take it then and still they are not allowed to get beat.

Was it Shuggie Sproat in goal that day?

I think we were 3-1 up in that game then a certain Pat Nevin ran riot for Clyde and we lost 3-4. I remember the opening day game as well against Rangers 2-2 after being 0-2 down, maybe that nice mr Yabbasturd could put the well v rangers game online somewhere for us to watch again .But yes it was a bleak time for M.F.C under big Jock Wallace.

Was a midweek game canny member if it was a replay. Did we not hit post an aw when we wur 3-1 up? Took plenty pelters the next day at school.

i remember well his first game in charge aggainst Rangers at fir park....totally blanked the home crowd and saluted all the gers fans like the big hero... I couldnt wait to see him go.

Pretty much how I remember it too, and while I don't normally like to speak ill of the dead - it was a dark passage in our history when he was at the helm ;)

As for the Clyde cup-replay .... Nevin utterly destroyed us in that 2nd half.

Aye that Clyde cup tie was a killer. 3-1 up and cruising, then Nevin ripped us apart. Horrendous OG by Flavell put them ahead in extra time, and who can forget the mad goalline scramble right at the death that confirmed our defeat?!!

It was my first full season going to games, saw only three wins in the eleven games I was at!

Just checked the Stats for 83-84 season :nod: 4 league wins ;)

First victory 2-1 away at Castlegreyskull 22/10/83

next win first home victory 1-0 St johnstone 22/02/84

Then beat Hivees away 2-1 10/03/84

Then St midden at home 1-0 21/04/84

Were bottom of league from 31/12/83 till end of season !

Won 4 Drew 7 Lost 25 Scored 31 Conceded 75 Bottom with 15 points 8 adrift of St Johnstone

Not here to defend Wallace, some people are not worth defending but was this not the record of Bobby Watson?