2007/8 Vs 1993/4

fizoxy

So thinking back to some of the best Motherwell teams I've personally witnessed. Two of which are the 1993/94 team which came as close to winning the league as we will do for a very long time, and the 2007/08 team who for at least the first half of the season played some excellent attacking football.

I'm no good at remembering teams, but the 1993/4 team was something like

------------------------------------Sieb---------------------------------------------

----------------- Philliben--------Martin--------Krivokapic------------------------

-------Shannon---------------------------------------------- McKinnon-----------

-------------------------Lambert---Dolan---O'Donnell---------------------------

----------------------- Coyne----Arnott/McGrillen/Kirk----------------------------

With wee Tommy as manager.

League table here

There there was McGhee's 2007 team:

--------------------------------------------Smith--------------------------------------

------------Quinn------------Craigan------------Reynolds-------------Paterson----

-----------------------Lasley----------Hughes-----------O'Donnell------------------

------------------------Clarkson------Porter-----McCormack-----------------------

League Table

So if the two teams played eachother, who would win? and if you could combine both teams, how would you do it?

Also, who in the above teams were considered shite at the time?

Was it the 2007/2008 era Clarkson that absolutely merked Hinkel down by the East Stand/South Stand corner flag? Knocked it inside him, ran outside him and left Hinkel looking utterly lost. Definitely one of my favourite Motherwell memories.

Pretty sure the 1993/94 team would have done the 2007/2008 team quite easily. Maybe I'm wrong here but would McCart and Davies not have been more integral to that team than Philliben and Dolan?

Shannon was probably the weak link of the earlier team but I'm not convinced that Quinn would have done a better job particularly as it was a wing-bcak role rather than a full-back.

good post....

its a tough one, I have always felt we have been too "nice" as a team in recent years. The ninties team would "bully" the 2000 team

Porter was as close to a predator as we've had since the Cobra

Dolan would do the dirty work, leave the boot in etc

Softie - the name explains it all

Lambert with the gyle, over Hughes anyday

who would you want to go in for a 50/50 ball with in the 93/94 team, compared to the 2007 team??

McCormack is still the one that will divide fans, there is no doubt he was the most talented player out them all in a Motherwell top - you could argur Lambert as he went onto Dortmund

Altho who would ever forget Brian Martins goal at Ibrox?!? lol

as for who was shite.......Shannon and Kirk got the most abuse IIRC

actually, looking at the two teams (with McCart instead of Philliben and Davies instead of Dolan) I wouldnt swap any of the earlier team for any of the players in the 2007/2008 team. Maybe I'm getting old and thinking that the old days were better, but would Craigan get a game ahead of Buff, McCart or Mio, no chance would Hammell get in before McKinnon. Buzz over Sieb :lol: ?, Hughes was good but Davies, Lambert and O'Donnell were undoubtedly better and more consistent, while up front Dougie and TC up front anyday of the week over Porter and Clarky.

I think the 90's team is harder, but the rules have also softened the game up a bit since then. If the McGhee team went back in time to play Tommy's side, Hughes and McCormack would have the shit kicked out of them. However, it Tommy's team came to the future I reckon a couple of red cards may happen.

Looking at the defences, I think that Coyne and Arnott would get more joy out of Craigan and Reynolds than Clarky and Porter would have gotten out of Buff and McCart. The keeper position is a no contest.

The 93/94 midfield wins hands down as well for me.

However, did we have this opinion of the players at the time? I remember Dolan, Davies and Lambert getting their fair share of stick at the time, and Sieb was a psycho.

I always loved the McKinnon long ball into the channel.

I'd take Porter or Clarkson ahead of Arnott any day of the week...

Must be on a fishing expedition to say that,dougie would be miles ahead of those two given how long he spent here and his overall performances,i take that back he would miles ahead of those two just for his two goals in a certain semi-final v Celtic alone.

93-94 we were closer points wise,94-95 we were closer placings wise,but its still on the club honours page as being league runners up 94-95,nothing about 93-94.i would have thought placings were more important than points!!!!We had 54 points both seasons.

But you got 3 points for a win in 94-95 and only 2 in 93-94!!

We would have finished 2nd in 93-94 if it had been 3 points for a win and 3rd in 94-95 if it had been 2 points for a win.

Who would win would depend on what era the ref was from the 93-94 team would finish with 6 or 7 players.

Must be on a fishing expedition to say that,dougie would be miles ahead of those two given how long he spent here and his overall performances,i take that back he would miles ahead of those two just for his two goals in a certain semi-final v Celtic alone.

If you're basing it purely on ability, Arnott wouldn't even come close. I can think of several goals that Clarkson scored that Arnott could only have managed in his dreams. And Porter is probably a more complete striker than Arnott.

If you want to base it on sentiment, then, aye, pick Arnott...

the games changed a lot. if you go back and watch the 91 final now the general standard of play is absolutely gash, i'd say the same would probably apply to the 93/94 side. everyone creamed themselves over davies' goal against partick but we we regularly had moves of that standard in 07/08.

there's also a lot more pace in the 07/08 team. modern players wouldn't get away with carrying the weight philliben, coyne, dolan and shannon did.

See looking back on it now, that front line of Clarky/Porter/McCormack is frightening.

I know the topic is comparing the two era's above, but on a side note...the team and the form from McGhee's first season would be absolutely beasting the SPL this year. I genuinely think if you could take that, and bring it into this season, we'd be giving the league a bit of a fright.

The 93/94 team by and larges pisses over the 07/08.

What I'd give the latter team is that the attacking trio are maybe on average better than Coyne/Arnott. Coyne for me stands head and shoulders above the other attacking options for all round game and ability to score goals. McCormack for talent probably comes in next and could well oust Arnott.

But could you ever be really sure that any of the above would gel with Coyne as well as the wee man did and add in a Clarksonesque ability to run through a brick wall for the cause it wouldn't be an automatic dropping for me.

Quinn might get in ahead of Shannon, as a solid citizen Shannon maybe keeps place but on a good day Quinn could offer a bit more though could also be quite chronic on a bad one. As mentioned it more likely McCart/Davies than Dolan/Philliben but again in that area Craigan could at least compete with McCart and Hughes/Davies bit of a coin toss. Maybe give Hughes the nod on that 07/08 season form.

But given the different formations played again it hard to pick who'd be in who'd be out if picking a best XI out of the two teams.

I agree that the 90's team would beat the 00's team,

Shannon in there Played a big part. as said prolly just over shadowed. but ye canny take away one piece of the jigsaw

also agree the 07/08 team would be great in this current league. that was prolly my last truely enjoyable season (for fitva reasons)

Pretty sure the 1993/94 team would have done the 2007/2008 team quite easily. Maybe I'm wrong here but would McCart and Davies not have been more integral to that team than Philliben and Dolan?

Shannon was probably the weak link of the earlier team but I'm not convinced that Quinn would have done a better job particularly as it was a wing-bcak role rather than a full-back.

You're right about McCart and Davies, my memory is dreadful. I always liked Quinn, and didn't really have much time for Shannon.

Had to check as I wasn't sure myself but Billy Davies didn't sign until mid March in 1994 according to soccerbase, wikipedia says 1993. I'm inclined to believe soccerbase as I checked the London Hearts site and Davies doesn't play against them for us until 30th march 1994. I don't think Davies became a regular in the side until after O'Donnell left.

I'm sure someone has a better info for this subject from old programs or something,