A Bit Of Balance

LadywellToi

Thing is, if we did sign a striker last minute half the people on here would have said it was a "panic buy" <_>

I would suggest that by failing to sign a striker during the window we have now gone out and surpassed ourselves with the panic buy of all time a striker who doesn't score goals. <_>

Why couldn't we have Phil McCall, or Bonnie Wee Jeanie McCall.

I would suggest that by failing to sign a striker during the window we have now gone out and surpassed ourselves with the panic buy of all time a striker who doesn't score goals. <_>

Why couldn't we have Phil McCall, or Bonnie Wee Jeanie McCall.

I take it you're another one that will never accept McCall. ANYTHING he does you will moan about it. I hope he turns out and scores 15 goals in the next few months just to get it right up doom merchants like yourself. He is trying to give us another option up front. It may fail and it may succeed but in this game you have to gamble and I will judge Jeffers on what he does in Claret and Amber. Remember Phil O Donnell hardly kicked a ball in years before he signed for us and he turned out to be a very important part of our team.

It has been apparent from day one there are people on this forum who will not give McCall the time of day but this is getting bloody boring. Everytime he sneezes people are on here moaning about it.

Im open to giving McCall time...but what ive seen so far im not very impresed...please tell me im not the only one?
So you are open to giving him time, but judging him already?

After he has had a chance to bring in a few players over the summer will be the time to judge. Right now, his job is to tie up the loose ends left by Broon (and win us the Scottish Cup <_>

Im open to giving McCall time...but what ive seen so far im not very impresed...please tell me im not the only one?

I'm not impressed, but I'm not unimpressed either.

So far I've seen us struggle to score goals thanks to Brown nicking our only goalscoring forward, but two encouraging performances this week that almost saw us beat the champions in a semi-final and saw us losing a game to Killie when we really should have won.

On the transfer front he gets plus points from me for getting rid of Gow. He's brought in Steve Jones who looks like a good signing (based on Wednesday night), and the lad Gunning looked like he could be a very composed and decent player (albeit based on the short time he was on the park). He's now brought in a striker who I haven't seen play in about 5 or 6 years, so I'm not going to comment until I see him play.

But yeah, overall I'm neither impressed or unimpressed. I'll give him til the summer before making any sort of judgement. Unfortunately Motherwell fans collectively make judgements about players and managers very, very early on - sometimes before they're even in the door.

Lets go back 1 year Scooby Doo style .......

Plenty were giving it "Brown and Knox, are you mental, over it, did nothing with Scotland, Preston went to the dogs, over it, don't be surprised if he comes to work without his trackie bottoms on".

3 games later

"All hail Jack and Victor, inspirational appointments."

Granted Jeffers signing isn't what we'd ideally had, maybe in time the 5 who slipped through the net will come to light and we will get really annoyed. However lets see in 3 games or so how he's doing.

There is too much of a tendency on here to slam everything regardless of any other factors. The red mist descends and keyboard rants start.

So you are open to giving him time, but judging him already?

After he has had a chance to bring in a few players over the summer will be the time to judge. Right now, his job is to tie up the loose ends left by Broon (and win us the Scottish Cup <_>

Umm yes...Obviously as a Motherwell fan i want the club to do well under his management, but of what ive seen footballing wise (nothing to do with signings) i aint been too impressed if i am really honest. Was disappointing not to get a couple more players in in the transfer windown, but hey ho we are only Motherwell FC.

I'm not impressed, but I'm not unimpressed either.

So far I've seen us struggle to score goals thanks to Brown nicking our only goalscoring forward, but two encouraging performances this week that almost saw us beat the champions in a semi-final and saw us losing a game to Killie when we really should have won.

On the transfer front he gets plus points from me for getting rid of Gow. He's brought in Steve Jones who looks like a good signing (based on Wednesday night), and the lad Gunning looked like he could be a very composed and decent player (albeit based on the short time he was on the park). He's now brought in a striker who I haven't seen play in about 5 or 6 years, so I'm not going to comment until I see him play.

But yeah, overall I'm neither impressed or unimpressed. I'll give him til the summer before making any sort of judgement.

Pretty much my thoughts. However, for some people a month is long enough.

Umm yes...Obviously as a Motherwell fan i want the club to do well under his management, but of what ive seen footballing wise (nothing to do with signings) i aint been too impressed if i am really honest. Was disappointing not to get a couple more players in in the transfer windown, but hey ho we are only Motherwell FC.

So you weren't impressed a with our last 2 performances footballing wise?

Pretty much my thoughts. However, for some people a month is long enough.

If anyone thinks a judgement can be made about any football manager in a month, then they're an idiot.

Motherwell fans aren't content unless there is something or someone to moan about.

So you weren't impressed a with our last 2 performances footballing wise?

I think we were quite poor against Killie, but aye he was just about spot on at Hampden. Just two problems i had were i) Not closing down at all just about, Rangers players had all day when they were on the ball. ii) Keeping Jamie Murphy on the left wing and putting Jones upfront.

I think we were quite poor against Killie, but aye he was just about spot on at Hampden. Just two problems i had were i) Not closing down at all just about, Rangers players had all day when they were on the ball. ii) Keeping Jamie Murphy on the left wing and putting Jones upfront.

Well I disagree. If it wasn't for Cammy Bell we would have won that game easy. In my opinion we played some decent stuff against Killie and wit a little bit of luck we would have won comfortably.

I take it you're another one that will never accept McCall. ANYTHING he does you will moan about it. I hope he turns out and scores 15 goals in the next few months just to get it right up doom merchants like yourself. He is trying to give us another option up front. It may fail and it may succeed but in this game you have to gamble and I will judge Jeffers on what he does in Claret and Amber. Remember Phil O Donnell hardly kicked a ball in years before he signed for us and he turned out to be a very important part of our team.

It has been apparent from day one there are people on this forum who will not give McCall the time of day but this is getting bloody boring. Everytime he sneezes people are on here moaning about it.

I hope he does score 15 goals for us, in fact I pray he does because we're going to need it. The fact remains though that nothing in Jeffers history says that is even a remote possibility. He layed in this league with Rangers and didn't score ONCE. You can bet your arse he wont be getting anything like the kind of service with us that he did with Rangers. So why exactly are we pinning our hopes for goals on someone who doesn't bloody well score them even in the SPL?

Phil O'Donnell may not have kicked a ball for years when he came back to us but when he did kick a ball he kicked it in earnest. Jeffers has stoated around the country for years picking up a wage at various clubs and done fuck all. To even mention him in the same breath as O'Donnell is a fucking disgrace and proof positive that you dont know what you're talking about.

I'll get behind him while he's on the pitch but I think it's disgraceful that we've signed him.

To even mention him in the same breath as O'Donnell is a fucking disgrace and proof positive that you dont know what you're talking about.

WHIT??? I wasn't comparing him to Phil O Donnell in anything other than situation. Phil played 20 games in 4 years for Sheffield Wednesday before he came to us and I can bet you there were people on the forums at the time that questioned his signing. If I am wrong then I apologise.

So I was comparing O Donnell and Jeffers on situation only and supporting the argument that some teams suit some players. Players could be mince at one club and get a new lease of life with another. So explain to me how this comparison means I don't know what I am talking about?

Jeffers signing is just like Gow's signing. Neither have done anything in their careers rather than one particular spell. Alot welcomed Gow with open arms, however that gamble did not work. However, who's to say (unless you've got a crystal ball) that this gamble wont either.

Time will tell.

Completely agree orinoco, though i would say like gow its not that much of a gamble given the length of deal, which if it goes well we benefit but may not work in our favour long term.

And if thats the case and he leaves in the summer after a succesful spell (which by the way will benefit MFC) then i'm sure there'll be criticism for the manager/club in general for not tying him down on a longer term deal, most likely from the same quarters that are dishing out the pessimism and negativity before he even kicks a ball for us.

Wishful thinking i know, but it'd be nice if we gave all our signings all a chance.

WHIT??? I wasn't comparing him to Phil O Donnell in anything other than situation. Phil played 20 games in 4 years for Sheffield Wednesday before he came to us and I can bet you there were people on the forums at the time that questioned his signing. If I am wrong then I apologise.

So I was comparing O Donnell and Jeffers on situation only and supporting the argument that some teams suit some players. Players could be mince at one club and get a new lease of life with another. So explain to me how this comparison means I don't know what I am talking about?

O'Donnells lack of matches at Sheffield were down to horrendous injuries, never, at any time, was his talent in question.

Jeffers shit career is down to being a shit player.

Completely agree orinoco, though i would say like gow its not that much of a gamble given the length of deal, which if it goes well we benefit but may not work in our favour long term.

And if thats the case and he leaves in the summer after a succesful spell (which by the way will benefit MFC) then i'm sure there'll be criticism for the manager/club in general for not tying him down on a longer term deal, most likely from the same quarters that are dishing out the pessimism and negativity before he even kicks a ball for us.

Wishful thinking i know, but it'd be nice if we gave all our signings all a chance.

I'll give anybody a chance once they pull on the 'Well shirt. I just dont think this guy is worth wasting a wage on. There are people on here talking him up because he got an England cap and Arsenal once spent £8m on him. Totally ignoring the fact that even though he scored on his England debut he never even got near another cap, and Arsene Wenger rates signing Jeffers as his biggest mistake in the transfer market. Every club that's signed him since has hoped to get the "fox in the box" that shone at Everton and no-one has managed it. Why will we be any different?