The Francis Jeffers Thread

ian8

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new topic I've just edited the title of this one, as the discussion sort of follows on really.

The question I'm asking is, would you like to see Jeffers offered a new deal for next season? Now, I know he'll likely not be hanging around, but for discussions sake let's imagine that he wants to stay, and on the same money as well.

Has he done enough in his stint here to prove to you that he's worth a contract beyond this season? Does he need to play a major part in securing top six before you'd want to offer him a new deal? Or do you just think he's pish and not worth it regardless?

Has he done enough in his stint here to prove to you that he's worth a contract beyond this season? Does he need to play a major part in securing top six before you'd want to offer him a new deal? Or do you just think he's pish and not worth it regardless?

More than happy to keep him. He might only grab us 10 goals or so in a full season, but he still seems to have the touch and control that you'd expect of a once-multi-million pound player, and he's already proven that he can still score goals from time to time despite his dire recent record elsewhere. There's not many SPL teams who wouldn't be happy to have somebody like that in their squad.

It depends what kind of money he's after as I don't think we should break the bank for him but so far I've been very impressed. His awareness and positioning seem excellent and he's got some first touch on him. He also seems to be a very intelligent player and there were quite a few times last night he played an amazing pass or ball into space. Granted, the other players weren't always in tune with him to get onto the end of it but that'll come as they all get used to playing together.

If we've got a chance to keep him, I'd be delighted.

More than happy to keep him. He might only grab us 10 goals or so in a full season, but he still seems to have the touch and control that you'd expect of a once-multi-million pound player, and he's already proven that he can still score goals from time to time despite his dire recent record elsewhere. There's not many SPL teams who wouldn't be happy to have somebody like that in their squad.

Would go along with that, he something of a risk with history of injuries but on a one or at a push a 2 year deal he adds to the squad I reckon. Wouldn't break the wage structure or anything he got something about him.

I think he'll stay!

Remember he has moved about a hell of a lot in the last few years and he stated in his interview when he signed that he will stay if he is enjoying his football. Sometimes a player finds a club and it works. That is what I think has happened in this case. I am confident Franny Jeffers will be a Well player next season as we take a crack at our 4th consecutive year in Europe.

Descriptions of his play on here remind me of when we had Tommy Coyne. Seems like he has that wee extra touch of class about him that sets him apart from our usual type player. Is that a fair assessment?

Couldn't understand all the vitriol directed at him before he even kicked a ball for us. Anytime I've seen him he's looked sharp and intelligent. He's also unpredictable as United found out once or twice. The problem is that he's often 2 or 3 steps ahead of his colleagues. That might come with time though as they learn to play with him.

movement superb, 1st touch superb, workrate superb. Hopefully we can keep him for next year.

Easy to chase after everything when your looking to get a contract somewhere not so easy to do on a cold wet night against St.Mirren with a steady contract under your belt.

Couldn't understand all the vitriol directed at him before he even kicked a ball for us. Anytime I've seen him he's looked sharp and intelligent. He's also unpredictable as United found out once or twice. The problem is that he's often 2 or 3 steps ahead of his colleagues. That might come with time though as they learn to play with him.

You obviously never seen him playing for the Newcastle Jets :laugh:

The through ball he played in the 2nd half was something sublime, it took so many players out that it took a few seconds for a Utd player to reach it, if Murphy had continued the run it could have been world class, not the TV ball Leitchy used to try every time, just a cracking pass, that deserved more than a defender taking a few seconds to reach it to clear it. I would say we make the most of him while he's here, it might be a step to bigger things or he might not kick his own arse until the end of the season, I'd be interested in seeing him with a proper pre-season under his belt, but if that means gambling money then I'd be happy to thank him for his efforts and move on.

@Haggis, almost as clever as Coyne, will have to wait for him to dummy a shy to Sutton or score with a back heel volley to win the cult status though.