143 members have voted

1. 1. Who comes first....???

• Scotland
    • Motherwell
    • Other

I voted Scotland.

But Really

In those far off olde days gone by this poll would be laughed at,

During the week,the excitment would build,until saturday you would grab your claret & amber scarf and support your team against allcomers.If it was the bigot brothers then that was even more of an incentive.

Every so often you would swap your C & A scarf for a tartan one and support your National team against all the foreigners,Irish, Welsh, English or whatever, because you were Scottish and Motherwell.

The two of them are part of you

Every two years you would save money and head down to WEMBLEY. :lol::lol:

I look at this one like this. If there was No Motherwell FC There would always be my local Team, Hibs. If there was No Scotland, there would be England! I don't like that prospect so I went for Scotland!

And Before anyone says, No I haven't missed the point. I simply would choose to support Scotyland Before Motherwell Because Motherwell is a Choice [FAITH], and Scotland is Me :lol:

Fantastic idea!

Thing is the Scotland team dont really bother me, i mean i was them to do well and i watch the games but im a Motherwell fan and im more passionate about my team.

I dont understand why say we play Celtic one week and were abusing their fans calling them all the names under the sun, then Scott Brown he's this and he's that and all the abuse to him.

Then at the Scotland game he scores and im celebrating with the celtic fan next to me who i was just abusing. I cant do that.

Dont get me wrong i love my country and love us to do well, but it's Motherwell all the way for me

I've been to U21s matches but I've never been to a full international match, mainly because I can't afford to go.

That said I take a keen interest in the national team and support them fervently.

I will always follow Motherwell but I think its more important for the national team to do well than for Motherwell to be successful.

The SPL and everyone associated with it requires a strong national side. It reflects well on our standing in the international football community and to some extent reflects the strength of the league. Think back to when Scotland were doing well, our league was strong, we attracted good quality foreign players, there were more than twice as many people going to Fir Park on a Saturday.

Not only that it gives the country a massive boost. Almost everyone that says they don't care about the national team soon jump on the band wagon when take an upwards turn and honestly, what would be better than a successful Scotland team?

I'm Motherwell through and through, I choose to follow Motherwell in person over Scotland but I think there is something very small, petty, parochial and selfish about only caring about your own wee team in isolation. It's that kind of thinking projected over the whole country that is responsible for most of our problems at every level of society.

I dont understand why say we play Celtic one week and were abusing their fans calling them all the names under the sun, then Scott Brown he's this and he's that and all the abuse to him.

Then at the Scotland game he scores and im celebrating with the celtic fan next to me who i was just abusing.

"Because it's just football" is probably the answer to that.

On a day to day, week to week, season to season basis it's definitely Motherwell....i've probably spent about 20 grand over the years on my love of the club in one way or another.

However on a larger scale, if it was a straight choice between Motherwell winning the league or Scotland winning the World Cup, it would be Scotland every time. Contrary to the guy before that says he couldn't bring himself to support players from other clubs, that's actually one of the things I like best about the national team....the way that it brings people together both players and fans, and shows that there is something bigger than the Old Firm bollocks in this country. It give the people that want to...again players and fans....the chance to rise above it, and for me, during a Scotland game it's the closest we'll get to the Old Firm not existing, which is what most people want anyway.

Once again, Al, I'm sitting here nodding away as I read your post.

EXACTLY how I feel about the whole thing. I find it hard to get motivated at the moment for the same old SPL crap, but for Scotland games it is a chance to escape that. For a couple of days before and after a Scotland game MY team is in the papers/telly and everyone is talking about MY team. I love that and it's why I am always involved, got London/Dublin/Spain all booked up yet I can't be dicked going to the Accies game this weekend, tells it's own story I guess.

Once again, Al, I'm sitting here nodding away as I read your post.

EXACTLY how I feel about the whole thing. I find it hard to get motivated at the moment for the same old SPL crap, but for Scotland games it is a chance to escape that. For a couple of days before and after a Scotland game MY team is in the papers/telly and everyone is talking about MY team. I love that and it's why I am always involved, got London/Dublin/Spain all booked up yet I can't be dicked going to the Accies game this weekend, tells it's own story I guess.

is there any chance you're going to get fed up with telling us how fed up you are with motherwell games?

A hard one to be fair, but Scotland for me. Maybe because I lived away from Motherwell for years and didn't follow them as much due to the internets being non existant at the time and the papers being full of old firm pish.

I think the fact that people are on a Motherwel fan site, its pretty obvious whats going to get the highest votes on here.

Maybe the poll would be different if the question was asked outside FP.

I can fully appreciate the guys here who pick Scotland over the Well, sometimes i wish i was more patriotic.

As i said, i find it hypocritical to support a bunch of players who i either dont like,dont support/abuse or never heard about.

I never like it how it feels to myself Motherwell are always looked over for players getting call ups.

I grew up like most folk dreaming about scoring for my country, we all did it when we were younger.

But the fact that during international week all you read about is

"41 year old David Weir has pulled out of the squad, a random English guy born in Southampton and is 27 who players for Kettering Town has been called up to replace him". The amount of English guys in our team is another reason i dont support. It's the Scotland national team, not team GB!

Our players might not be good enough but more fans like me would care if they had more actual Scottish players in the squad

Wales mun en it boyo. :D

in footballing terms its motherwell for me all the way. Us welsh dont have much love for the national football team even though we had 70,000 + at a lot of our home games in the late 90s (made us the best supported nation in Europe.i bet you didn't know that did you) everyone has given up these days.

The last home game against England though (the one where we booed god save the queen louder than you) there were 400,000 requests for tickets.

So in football for me its motherwell. In life every welsh man will choose his country.Its how were brought up.

cymru am byth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLlW5ILYwFo

Motherwell for me, scotland don't even come a close 2nd. Only time I really can be arsed with the national side is if one of our players are selected or perhaps as someone else stated Faddy or McCormack, or another ex 'Well player is playing. The high influx of Old Firm players certainly put paid to my interest in Scotland from an early age. I just can't bring myself to support the likes of Scott Brown or Steven Naismith either. I would MUCH rather see us winning the SPL or any domestic trophy than scotland winning any silverware.

Not only that it gives the country a massive boost. Almost everyone that says they don't care about the national team soon jump on the band wagon when take an upwards turn and honestly, what would be better than a successful Scotland team?

This is one of the big irritations I have with Scotland. I never missed a home game for 9years (including USA at Pittodrie, etc) and then when it came to the Italy (Euro 2008 qualifier) game I couldn't get a ticket!! Made worse by the fact my application for SSC membership 6months earlier hadn't been processed (despite them charging me for it) and only realised when trying to get my Italy ticket. When the erroe was realised, they said there was now a waiting list for SSC and it basically wasn't getting a ticket!

"41 year old David Weir has pulled out of the squad, a random English guy born in Southampton and is 27 who players for Kettering Town has been called up to replace him". The amount of English guys in our team is another reason i dont support. It's the Scotland national team, not team GB!

Our players might not be good enough but more fans like me would care if they had more actual Scottish players in the squad

I get where you're coming from here, but its always been the case. Goram and McCall where in the same boat, but you could never question their commintment to Scotland - they were passionate Scots. Same goes for Alexander, Hutchinson even Matt Elliot of more recent times. I does annoy me that all too often we go after mediocre English players rather that blood our U21's - Jamie Mackie and Danny Fox being the perfect example of this! However, both Commons and Morrison are great additions to the squad and I'm delighted to have them!

People have compared Scotland winning the World cup to Motherwell winning the league. Wouldn't Motherwell winning the Champions league or Europa be a better comparison? , being the highest achievable award?

I think I'd choose Scotland winning the WC over 'Well winnin the league...mibi.

But aye, Mwell winning a European competition's a better comparison seeing as the worlds top players would have to be taken on in both WC and CL....

I get where you're coming from here, but its always been the case. Goram and McCall where in the same boat, but you could never question their commintment to Scotland - they were passionate Scots. Same goes for Alexander, Hutchinson even Matt Elliot of more recent times. I does annoy me that all too often we go after mediocre English players rather that blood our U21's - Jamie Mackie and Danny Fox being the perfect example of this! However, both Commons and Morrison are great additions to the squad and I'm delighted to have them!

Thats a great point, and i agree.

Thing is if you have a link to Scotland (like SM his dad was Scottish) then that's fine.

Do you think Mackie, Bardsley,Gilks anytime a Scotland game came on were down the pub in the tartan singing the national anthem? its only to add some value onto them that they play.

James Morrison though is a guy i like for Scotland, at 22 he choose to play for Scotland, i dont know why because i think he is a great wee player so i have no problem with him, the same with Steven Fletcher because he was raised here

When I consider we'd also get a CL place.. The league does looks a bit more appealing than the WC. But a factor in thinking the WC win might be better is the huge positive effect it would have on Scottish football as a whole, an on Motherwell.

And Diggle, winnin the Europa Cup would trump the league any day! :lol:

Motherwell by a mile. I probably care more about how Leeds do than Scotland actually. Used to be quite a passionate follower of Scotland. I was at Wembley for Euro '96 and was at the opening game of the World Cup in '98 but slowly became sickened with the players that got capped (and didn't) and eventually switched off. My interest picked up again when McFadden started playing and during that great qualifying campaign a few years ago but for a while now the sfa and the players that get capped (and don't!) I really couldn't give a monkeys. I also find it difficult, even impossible, to support guys like MacGregor, Brown, Kenneth etc.