Most Shameful Display Ever

garymfc

i couldn't fault anyone for effort yesterday we struggled because of a lack of organisation, effort and quality.

THe thing that saddens me most about our recent slump is after every game you come on here and read that some or all of the players haven't cared. Granted I've not been to an away league game since the Accies but in the games I've seen I could not fault one of them for effort. And being shite is a much lesser crime that not giving one. And for people to come on here and question their professionalism (i.e. saying their not trying) I find quite offensive. And for all the doom and gloom, where I accept we're not brilliant, I know if the application is right we will hold our end up against the tailenders and nick some points off the middle order. Our lack of fire power is the worry though. I know we shipped six yesterday with a makeshift and unfit defence but in reality on a normal day they will be OK.

Not too bothered by the defeat at Ibrox. If we had played well we would be coming away saying how disappointed we were to play so well but still get beat. It is important that we play well and win against Accies and St Midden. If we do then there will be no chance of relegation. At the moment Accies have 14 points from 23 games. To pass us they would need to get 15 from their next 15 games assuming we lose every game.

My worry is that Craigan and Lasley played with injuries yesterday. I hope they are fully fit for Tuesday.

If there was the slightest chance that they would worsen their injuries they should not have played and if they have then this is rank bad management.

We have a very small squad and have been playing since the beginning of July. Players are jaded and need a rest but there is no one to bring in. If McCall is to blame its because he did not strengthen in the window so that we could rest some players.

Beat Accies and St Mirren and relegation is gone.

Bring in the young guys gradually over the last few months and see what they can do.

I don’t hold with all this talk of McCall liking Rangers. The missus brought in an Express after the Stranraer game and the report was almost all about Gunning Talking about Diouf and their time together at Blackburn. The press will always twist things to an Old Firm angle.

Disliking Rangers maybe isn't, but disliking Stuart McCall for no other reason than the fact that he is an ex Rangers player - as some of our fans clearly did right from the off - could certainly be considered to be bigotry.

As I said in another thread, I've not been impressed with some of McCall's recent interviews as he's spent half of them going on about Rangers and his time there and I've yet to be convinced about his credentials as a manager, but some of the shite I've read on here from the minute McCall was given the job has been embarrassing.

Aye right then Hugh Keevins.

The vast majority of negative comments I read when McCall was appointed was about his piss poor management record, but don't let that stand in the way of a good story.

If there is negativity towards ex OF managers is because it is yet another chance for the Scottish Press to have a love in about all things OF (as witnessed before the Semi Final and to a lesser extent before yesterdays game). You have pointed this out yourself in your post.

Having said that if bigotry is an abhorence of what both sides of the OF represent with their hatred and intolerance then I am as big a bigot as the next man. That however has nothing to do with SM.

Better get yourself ready for your next big story on Tuesday night Hugh, when the Well fans will be spewing their religious intolerance and bigotry at Old Broony. Sure you can wedge a sectarian angle in there somewhere!

If as Tweed's mate suggests, we were carrying Lasley and Craigan yesterday then mcCall made a rod for his own back. Particularly as he knew yesterday morning that the St Johnstone-Aberdeen game was off. He could have chosen to declare Lasley and Craigan unfit and gone with

Randolph

Hateley Page Hutchinson Gunning

Humphrey Jennings Meechan Forbes Jones

Sutton

Another 6-0 defeat might have been the result but might not have been if the players were all fully fit and playing in a familiar shape. And if the 6-0 defeat did happen, there may not have been the same (over?) reaction from the fans as it would been seen as a learning curve for the likes of Meechan and Page. But at least Page would have been playing in a shape he was familiar with (as would have the rest of the team) so we might not have had the disjointed performance many are reporting..

It would have also increased the chance of a fully fit Craigan and Lasley for the more winnable/drawable game at Pittodrie...

Just a thought, Stuart...

:lol:

Not sure who the Stuart you're referring to is but, just on the 1% chance that it's me, I agree with every single word of your post there.

Who would happily swap a horrible trip to Ibrox for a day out in Kirkcaldy, Greenock or Maryhill? I am so fed up of the same away games every other week I just don't even dream of bothering to go.

That's an excellent point there. I know that I'd certainly prefer a visit to somewhere other than the Old Firm four times a season.

My worry is that Craigan and Lasley played with injuries yesterday. I hope they are fully fit for Tuesday.

If there was the slightest chance that they would worsen their injuries they should not have played and if they have then this is rank bad management.

If as Tweed's mate suggests, we were carrying Lasley and Craigan yesterday then mcCall made a rod for his own back. Particularly as he knew yesterday morning that the St Johnstone-Aberdeen game was off. He could have chosen to declare Lasley and Craigan unfit and gone with

Randolph

Hateley Page Hutchinson Gunning

Humphrey Jennings Meechan Forbes Jones

Sutton

Another 6-0 defeat might have been the result but might not have been if the players were all fully fit and playing in a familiar shape. And if the 6-0 defeat did happen, there may not have been the same (over?) reaction from the fans as it would been seen as a learning curve for the likes of Meechan and Page. But at least Page would have been playing in a shape he was familiar with (as would have the rest of the team) so we might not have had the disjointed performance many are reporting..

It would have also increased the chance of a fully fit Craigan and Lasley for the more winnable/drawable game at Pittodrie...

These are both very good points. The next 3 games will have a far bigger bearing on our season than any trip to Ibrox and if McCall has risked a half fit or injured Lasley and Craigan on a game we were never going to win anyway it is absolutely crimminal!!

As it is, I am so punchdrunk at how shite we are just now that Saturdays whipping is almost water off a ducks back. I expect defeat on Tuesday so I'm preparing myself to suck that up aswell, but anything less than a win next Saturday and I think I will genuinely implode.

I am willing the players to prove me wrong, but they don't have it in them I fear.

Dundee United lost 7-1 at Ibrox last season. Didn't see them going into instant freefall. Infact they went on to win the Scottish Cup I seem to recall........

Way back in this thread or the game thread someone made the point about viewing such results in isolation.

Go through all the teams in the league and you'll find some similar horror stories. I recollect Kenny Miller scoring five for Rangers first time around when they beat St Mirren 7-0 at Ibrox, Aberdeen ofcourse lost 9 at Parkhead this year. I think Accies lost 8 and 7 in the one season against Celtic in the 80's. Just a few off the top of my head and you've already cited United yourself (might also have been similar in a recent League Cup Semi too actually).

I think its all about trying to view it in context thought. Motherwell losing 6-1 at Tannadice when we we were 2nd in the league and they were fighting relegation, you can put that down as a freak result. Much the same as Dundee Utd at Ibrox last season you could argue.

Motherwell conceding 6 at Ibrox given our absolutely horrendous rate of conceding goals in there, when you've won league game in twelve, haven't scored an away goal in the league since what Love Street was it, is unfortunately not so much of a freak result. In fact its a bit of worry and no amount of laughing it off as jolly good rollercoaster fun is going to make that any easier to stomach.

I fully accept that there was little chance of taking something on Saturday and unless goal difference comes into play a defeat is a defeat whether its by one goal otr six. But the warning signs should be flashing. The next few games are pivotal as to how this season is going to go.

Way back in this thread or the game thread someone made the point about viewing such results in isolation.

Go through all the teams in the league and you'll find some similar horror stories. I recollect Kenny Miller scoring five for Rangers first time around when they beat St Mirren 7-0 at Ibrox, Aberdeen ofcourse lost 9 at Parkhead this year. I think Accies lost 8 and 7 in the one season against Celtic in the 80's. Just a few off the top of my head and you've already cited United yourself (might also have been similar in a recent League Cup Semi too actually).

I think its all about trying to view it in context thought. Motherwell losing 6-1 at Tannadice when we we were 2nd in the league and they were fighting relegation, you can put that down as a freak result. Much the same as Dundee Utd at Ibrox last season you could argue.

Motherwell conceding 6 at Ibrox given our absolutely horrendous rate of conceding goals in there, when you've won league game in twelve, haven't scored an away goal in the league since what Love Street was it, is unfortunately not so much of a freak result. In fact its a bit of worry and no amount of laughing it off as jolly good rollercoaster fun is going to make that any easier to stomach.

I fully accept that there was little chance of taking something on Saturday and unless goal difference comes into play a defeat is a defeat whether its by one goal otr six. But the warning signs should be flashing. The next few games are pivotal as to how this season is going to go.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Nobody was really that surprised by the result on Saturday and infact I think some were expecting a similar scoreline in the Semi Final. The surprise that day was that Motherwell played well.

I commend the fans who stay positive, 'enjoy the rollercoaster', support the team not matter what but I think they are burying their head in the sand a bit at the moment because that 6-0 result on Saturday is reflective of our current form, in fact if anything we are lucky it was not worse.

Ironically we have swapped positions with Aberdeen. They were in freefall in November as we seem to be now. The difference is that then they had a manager coming to the end of his time, we have a manager who is just at the start of his. To make matters worse we are hitting the Aberdeen game at the worst possible time. I have been concerned for a while now that they could leap frog us in this game. Thankfully that cannot happen thanks to the postponement of their game at the weekend.

A win tomorrow night would provide a huge mental boost but I just can't see it happening.

Aye fair enough but hately is a better player at right back anyway so that wisny a problem, so you cant really use injuries as an excuse for the performance today, we have been poor for ages

Missed Saunders big time, just watched the so called highlights and realised that Hately was out of position for a few of the goals. Not pointing the finger but would rather see Saunders back there soon

who in particular do you think let us down yesterday?

Remember that question and let's see how many times its brought up over the coming season!!

I'm thinking more of boardroom decisions and financial stratagies.

I've always thought good leadership and planning worked better than just throwing money at something, with recent managers proving the case.

Is S.M. the man for the job? Lets ask the question, who picked him and what was the reasoning?

Has the squad enough depth or quality, who made that decision?

Players have off days and managers sometimes get tactics wrong....

IMO there's bigger questions in the background needing asked!

It would be nice to hear some information on that front but unfortunately it's all gone quiet in that department lately!!!!!

Talking to a Rangers season ticket holder who was there paints an interesting picture for me. He said that, up until the second goal, it was impossible to see who would in. Indeed, Sutton's header had it gone in would have been one of the goals of the season such was the build-up. Also stated that 3-0 at half-time completely flattered Rangers. Never thought I'd hear a Rangers fan say those things but there you go!

Talking to a Rangers season ticket holder who was there paints an interesting picture for me. He said that, up until the second goal, it was impossible to see who would in. Indeed, Sutton's header had it gone in would have been one of the goals of the season such was the build-up. Also stated that 3-0 at half-time completely flattered Rangers. Never thought I'd hear a Rangers fan say those things but there you go!

I was watching the game on the internet and must say that the build up to that Sutton header was great, loads of one touch passes, quick and positive only needed a finish.

Up until their 2nd goal I thought we looked ok, the goals we conceded were very, very poor and that is always our problem against them.

We have a new manager trying to put his own stamp on the team, most of the players he inherited.

Now, whatever anyone's views on the guy, he is our manager who was picked by J. Boyle and the rest of the board.

He will not have the finished article until some players are moved on and some come in, hopefully in the summer.

I hate us getting beaten by the Old Firm, but, like it or not, it is going to happen more often than winning against them and that is not just down to our current manager.

How many victories against the gruesome twosome did we have under Judas Brown? for example.

In my opinion we should get right behind the team as we always do, in every rollercoaster ride you have to go down before you rise majestically to the top again. (Sorry, I got carried away there).

Lighten up guys. :lol: We are Well fans. :lol:

See that's it for me. Aye we didn't perform on Saturday. For over a decade now we've rarely performed against the Old Firm and only have a small clutch of wins over them in that time with various managers. It's how we do elsewhere, and always will be.

I spoke to a mate who's also a season ticket holder at Ibrox and his take on the match was not that much different, but probably more realistic. He said every now and again Motherwell come and have a go at is and generally give us a wee bit of bother and either we just scrape a win or they go away with a draw, but 9 times out of 10 they come here have a wee bit of a flurry for 5 or 10 minutes then collapse and we win in a canter.