Stuart Mccall Direct

SteelmaninOZ

Maybe some of the respondents actually thought he was personally emailing them.

Fair play to the gaffer, having the time and inclination to read replies.

I have no doubt you are correct on that :evilgrin:

Fair play indeed if he is going to such lengths. I made up my mind to like him after so many dismissed him, if he's going to keep this up and get more on side I can see us falling out. :P

Totally agree!!

While it is a great gesture by McCall and for all that I like to hear what he has to say and would have no intention of ever e-mailing him back, I reckon that some eejit will abuse it at some point if it hasnt already been done.

Abuse it by doing what? Sending him an abusive email?

Well aye, you've got abusive responses to his own e-mails when things go wrong - can only guess at the shit patter that he would have had to read after the h**s game.

Great that he wants us to know his feelings on each and every game, but I've got a feeling he'll regret it if and when things are going poorly.

I know it's a complete and utter PR exercise but I love getting the e-mails from the gaffer :lol: It's nice to hear the opinions and news from the team and the boss rather than reports in the paper. Keep it up Well.

Good evening ‘Well fans,

Well, what can you say about today? I said at our weekly press conference on Thursday that the main aim of any derby match is to win and take the three points. With that in mind, it is mission accomplished! If or when you watch the game back on BBC Alba you’ll see that we created a number of chances and only the performance of their goalkeeper, Thomas Cerny, has kept them in it. In truth, we should’ve been out of sight by the interval and because we weren’t, it was a little nervier that perhaps it had to be in the closing stages.

That being said, Darren Randolph has not really had anything to do. Speaking of Darren, I talked a few weeks ago about the keeper only having a couple of cleansheets left to equal John Ruddy’s record from last year. Well, I am delighted to say with this afternoon shutout, he now has fifteen, the same as last season; let’s hope he can break that record on Wednesday night against St Mirren?

Whilst we are on the subject of defending and keeping goals out, how good was big Shaun Hutchinson today? Hutch, alongside Stephen Craigan, was excellent and kept a tight rein on their only striker, which restricted Accies to just one shot on target the whole afternoon.

I opted to start with the same formation as Tuesday night which I think worked for the most part. It’s hard on the likes of Stevie Hammell and Chris Humphrey but today was the first time since I’ve arrived at the club that I’ve had a bit of a selection dilemma. It was always going to be a difficult game against Accies, the way they play is different to Aberdeen but credit to our lads, I think they managed to handle it and were the better team for most of the game.

Looking ahead to Wednesday, Steven Saunders and Steve Jones are getting ever closer to a return and will probably start training again this week. That means we could have another two bodies pushing for a first-team slot. It’s a problem, but any manager will tell you, it’s a great problem to have.

Just finally I want to say thank you to the supporters at Fir Park today. I thought the backing the team received was magnificent – even when things were getting a wee bit nervy and they were throwing everything into the area, we had chants and shouts encouraging the team and that really helps. I keep repeating that we’ve got a young team, who are learning, and the positive backing you are giving them will really help their development.

I want the players to repay you with good, honest, hard-working performances and I thought we got that today. I’ve been told in the past that Hamilton have maybe outfought Motherwell in recent derbies, well, when the going got tough this afternoon, I felt we dug in both on and off the park so well done to you all.

Keep it up on Wednesday night, maybe try and encourage a few of your friends and family to join you if you can, and hopefully we can pick up another three points and really put the pressure on Kilmarnock in 4th.

Forever Claret and Amber,

Stuart McCall

Well aye, you've got abusive responses to his own e-mails when things go wrong - can only guess at the shit patter that he would have had to read after the h**s game.

Great that he wants us to know his feelings on each and every game, but I've got a feeling he'll regret it if and when things are going poorly.

Nah, he'll most likely just bin the abusive ones, if he even reads them at all. If it was me I'd just bin all the replies after we got cuffed 6-0.

I hope he keeps sending them out. They make for interesting reading, and we certainly aren't going to get anything of that detail in the rags at the weekend, are we?

McCall has posted his email after the St Mirren game last night;

Good afternoon ‘Well fans,

I’ve taken the time to calm down first before emailing you to give my reaction on last night’s game. To say it was disappointing is probably an understatement. In fact, I told the press after the match that it is probably the worst I’ve felt since coming to the club; even worse than losing 6-0 to Rangers.

That hasn’t subsided today I am afraid.

I want the players to have some level of consistency but last night I didn’t feel the players applied themselves enough. St Mirren looked as if they were hungrier, like their lives depended on every tackle and I am so disappointed to say we weren’t.

Whose responsibility is that? Well, everyone in the dressing room!

I opted to change things slightly from our last two games. We knew, or at least, had a feeling that they would go three at the back so we felt that getting natural width would prove effective. However, we weren’t able to penetrate and as a result, it was a struggle.

To be fair, we weren’t helped at all by the injury to Steve Jennings who got a nasty one on the ankle about five minutes into the game. We were planning to take him off five minutes after half-time but that was to prove impossible because Keith Lasley took another hit on the ribs and he had to come off.

We’ve had absolutely no luck with injuries; I can only hope that subsides as we move towards the end of the season.

But, that game is gone now. We can’t change it but we can learn lessons. We now face possibly the toughest test the SPL has to offer when Celtic visit Fir Park. With Saunders and Jones touch and go, Jennings and Lasley struggling and Stephen Craigan suspended, there’s no doubt it’s going to be a big ask.

But all throughout my career I’ve seen instances like this where an opportunity for a younger player comes up and they take it and that’s what we’ll need on Sunday. We’ll need our big players to play and who knows. Celtic are on a fantastic run, they’ve got an excellent team but it’s ninety minutes and we’ll be going all out to win the game.

Just finally, I would like to pay tribute to our outgoing Chairman, John Boyle. I’ve only recently got to know John but his passion and drive for Motherwell Football Club was clear. He will be leaving the club on a sound footing and I am sure both Derek Weir and Leeann Dempster and the other members of the board will use this positive step to take the club forward.

Thanks for all your support and hopefully we can turn in a positive performance and result for you all this Sunday.

'I’ve taken the time to calm down first before emailing you to give my reaction on last night’s game.'

He's lucky,thats the second time in a matter of weeks i've had to go and do a night shift after a late goal defeat.Its a long night after a sickener like that.

Good evening ‘Well fans,

Football’s a funny old game isn’t it?

I hope you are enjoying your night and I hope the team and the club have made you proud. You certainly deserve it!

There are two main things I want to get across and they are both very important to me.

1 – That win today was for Motherwell FC and absolutely no-one else. I was asked at the Press Conference, after the game, about whether Walter Smith or Ally McCoist would give me a text of thanks. Whilst obviously joking about getting a little more – a beer or two perhaps (?), I made the very serious point about the value of this win to our club. I am a former Rangers player and will, inevitably, be asked questions relating to Rangers by the press. I do my best to avoid them but I suppose it’s what happens. It’s what the media in this country do. But I really want to get across to everyone now that I am the manager of Motherwell Football Club and my only focus is to this club. It wouldn’t have mattered if we were playing Rangers, Hamilton, St Mirren or Stranraer today; I wanted to see a reaction from my players after the disappointment of Wednesday night and I got it. That’s what is most pleasing! That and giving the fans at Fir Park something to shout about.

2 – The other thing that has come out of today is the need for consistency. What happened this afternoon was brilliant and we, along with you the fans, will all enjoy the win but I am already planning for our match with Inverness. We’ll be in first thing tomorrow morning and our total focus will be next Saturday’s game in the Highlands. We need to show a better level consistency! We’ve only lost two goals at home since I arrived at the club (to Kilmarnock and St Mirren), unfortunately, both cost us at least a point. These are the games that we need to work doubly hard to win as these are the games that will win us a place in the top six. We have Inverness and Kilmarnock away in March as well as Aberdeen and Dundee Utd at home before the split. In many ways, it’s in our hands. Take positive points from those games and we’re in with a real shout. Easier said than done, of course, but we’ll be working as hard as we possibly can all week with that game in mind.

I won’t go over today too much other than to say I though, to a man, we were absolutely terrific and displayed a real gutsy and determined display. I said during the week that St Mirren out-fought us and I was incredibly disappointed about that; and I let the players know it. Today, I thought we out-battled Celtic and it proved crucial.

Just finally, a big congratulations to Darren Randolph who I know believe has surpassed John Ruddy’s record of fifteen clean sheets by notching his sixteenth today. He was outstanding and deserves all the credit for beating an already incredible tally.

Forever Claret and Amber!

Stuart McCall

Manager

Motherwell Football Club