Stuart Mccall Direct

SteelmaninOZ

Lets say for a minute your NOT fishing and at the wind up. Just answer me one thing.......you don't like our manager or Chief Executive, our last kit supplier, or IIRC our new website or the new lines of communication the club has opened up with the fans. What then do you get, in a positive sense, from Motherwell FC and when was the last time such an emotion was felt by you?

You forgot franny jeffers

That's two things, but I'll give it a go.

I've spent the best part of 50 years supporting Motherwell, and we've had more than one manager I haven't liked, but that doesn't stop me from supporting the club and never will. I get my thrills and emotions through watching the team play football, the last time was against Celtic and I was giving " I just cant get enough" big licks in the East Stand.

I cringe at some of the stuff that goes on away from the pitch. Setting up wee committees, releasing questionnaires, sending e-mails from the manager. Fuck that, this is a Football Club, not Take That's fansite, I'm not 14 years old and I don't collect autographs and it doesn't rock my boat getting an e-mail from the manager. If that's your bag fair play to you, but I have absolutely no interest in the "Thoughts of Chairman Stuart".

I cringe at some of the stuff that goes on away from the pitch on online football forums.

McCall's latest e-mail....

Needless to say I am frustrated as I sit down to type this email tonight. We had a great chance to put one foot in the top-six but we have slipped up after losing at Rugby Park. I would like to start, however, on a positive. That positive is that we are still in the top-six and still in the Scottish Cup. There is plenty to play for in the last two months of the season.

On to the match at Rugby Park – it was a difficult afternoon which seemed to get harder as the minutes went past. With Keith Lasley, who is arguably the player of the season (certainly since I arrived at the club), missing through suspension we were always going to find it hard.

But to have Steven Hammell tweak a hamstring in training yesterday, Francis Jeffers hurt himself as he was going out to warm-up and then Steven Saunders carried off inside the first five minutes, we were right up against it.

We have a small squad that is propped up with young, inexperienced players. If you are without four of your regular starters, you can bet that will have a negative impact - even for teams with big squads. For us, it’s almost a disaster.

We were also on the end of some very questionable calls from the match official. I am not one to lay the blame on a referee, but I don’t think there is any doubt that going in at the break 2-1 down, as opposed to 1-1, had a large bearing on the match and the second half. It’s the second time now that we’ve had a soft penalty against us – hopefully that will even itself out over the course.

But, that all said, none of that is an excuse for how we performed in the last twenty minutes. Even at 3-1 down, I still felt we were capable of getting something from the match but the players looked to have lost heart and that is not acceptable and I let them know it after the match. I’ve obviously got to balance it with the factors that I discussed earlier and keep a sense of perspective; we were chasing the game. But I want more dig and fight from my players. I know we’ve had a long season – today was match number 42 of what will be, at least, a 51-game season, but we’ve got to push and push and give all we’ve got.

We now have three games at home and it’s not exaggerating to suggest that how they go will determine our season. A couple of wins, including the Cup Quarter Final, will really give us a great platform to finish the season strong.

We’ll be up against it as we race to get guys back from injury but we can do it - I believe that. We need you to stick with us and if we can get a couple of positive results, hopefully you’ll be looking forward to a return to Hampden and some exciting leagues games as the season draws to an end.

Forever Claret and Amber

should be at most a monthly roundup, not a match by match spin

when we'er shit, its too much spin every week trying to gloss over the negativity

seemed like a great idea on paper boss speaking every week, but in reality its doesnt always promote positive vibes

should be at most a monthly roundup, not a match by match spin

when we'er shit, its too much spin every week trying to gloss over the negativity

seemed like a great idea on paper boss speaking every week, but in reality its doesnt always promote positive vibes

Agreed. Such an initiative is always asking for trouble, particularly when you are at a club that loses it's fair share of the case.

I'm all for getting an insight into the thoughts of our manager but a game by game review is far from healthy.

The latest email from the boss...

Good evening 'Well fans,

With just two days until our massive Scottish Cup tie, I hope you are getting excited about what is sure to be one of our biggest games of the season.

I don't need to tell you, the fans, what it would mean to get to Hampden once again. I am familiar with the Cup traditions of the club and I am desperate to continue that this Wednesday against Dundee Utd.

The magic of the Cup, for me, is all about passion, excitement and desire as well as hope and expectation. There's nothing quite like a good old Scottish Cup tie under the floodlights and we have all those ingredients this week.

I know I am constantly on at you folks to sound the rallying call to your friends, family, colleagues and lapsed fans about getting along to Fir Park to support the side. Well, with prices set at just £10 and £5 to get in, what better opportunity?

A noisy, positive home support could give the players that little bit extra and, against Dundee Utd, what with previous games being so close, that could be enough to get us through to the Semi Final.

I will make sure the eleven players in Claret and Amber are giving everything for the cause. Nothing less will be accepted!

Get along to Fir Park, make as much noise as you can and help us progress.

Forever Claret and Amber,

Stuart McCall

Manager

Motherwell Football Club

I'd actually prefer if he sent out an email before a game rather than after it.

At least he can be positive and do his best to drum up support & enthusiasm for the upcoming game.

I think he would prefer that approach as well. At least then he can wait for any possible post match flack to die down before he's required to rally the troops for the next game.

Honestly, there really are a bunch of complete bangers on here. The manager fires out a wee e-mail to share his thoughts about whats going on at the club. Nothing controversial, just a way of letting folk who want to know what he's up to, what he's up to.

Then on here theres a bunch of you moaning about him doing it? Don't read it then, unsubscribe and leave it. While you're at it, don't moan about the club not communicating. Jesus.

Honestly, there really are a bunch of complete bangers on here. The manager fires out a wee e-mail to share his thoughts about whats going on at the club. Nothing controversial, just a way of letting folk who want to know what he's up to, what he's up to.

Then on here theres a bunch of you moaning about him doing it? Don't read it then, unsubscribe and leave it. While you're at it, don't moan about the club not communicating. Jesus.

Almost word for word what I was about to say. (I'd have left out the religious bit at the end and used the word 'bawbaggery')

• Like 2

The latest from the gaffer, for those who don't get his emails;

Good afternoon ‘Well fans,

I hope you are all enjoying your Sunday after what has been, so far, an excellent week for the club. I talked before the Dundee United replay about how the next three games could really make or break our season.

Well, so far so good! But that’s all it is; the job is nowhere near complete and all my focus is already on Dundee United this Wednesday night.

I was absolutely delighted and proud of our performance last Wednesday night. I thought we played hard and at a high tempo, but with a style and a swagger that hopefully sent the fans home happy?

Yesterday, against a rugged Aberdeen, we perhaps weren’t as elegant but the same desire and determination from the players was there and that brought about the win in my eyes. Remember too, more than a few of the lads are playing with injuries and knocks so it is to their credit that we have won both matches and given ourselves a good chance.

As I’ve said though, we are not going to sit back with our feet up and enjoy the results. This Wednesday night’s match against Dundee United now becomes the biggest of the season, again. All three points would put us in a very commanding position for a top-six place but let’s no-one underestimate United. Yes, we had an excellent result and performance against them during the week but this coming Wednesday will be a game played under a completely different set of circumstances.

They, for one, will be all our looking for revenge for that result. They will also be on a major high after a sensational win at Ibrox; a result which certainly answered any questions people may have had about the excellent Peter Houston or his side.

We’ll go into the game with injury and suspension worries but that has been the norm since I arrived really. Gavin Gunning hurt his shoulder and had to come off against Aberdeen but John Porteous, along with our doctors Robert Liddell and Mark Bonnes, managed to work on him immediately and that has given him a chance of featuring.

Stevie Hammell, Chris Humphrey and Tom Hateley are all delicate but bravely battling through the pain barrier to play, as is Keith Lasley who took another dunt on the ribs near the end of yesterday’s match.

We hope he will be okay, knowing Las, like the other lads, he’ll grit his teeth and get on with it and that’s the mark of the man and his commitment to his teammates and our club.

We are hopeful Franny will be back in contention too. He done a bit of running before the game yesterday but we didn’t want to risk him. Having him back, along with Robert McHugh, Esteban Casagolda and Steven Saunders, means hopefully I’ll have more options when I go to set out the side.

Just finally, I want to take the time specifically to thank you, the supporters, for your tremendous backing over the last few games. Fir Park was magic on Wednesday; a proper Cup tie. I am always banging on to try and get more people coming along to watch the boys and that demonstrated exactly why. The atmosphere was superb and, even yesterday, although the numbers weren’t as great, we had some tremendous vocal backing and it looked a little busier than normal.

Keep at your family, friends and colleagues to come along. I am desperate to give you an end to the season that you’ll never forget and the more people that can be a part of that, the better.

All the best,

Stuart McCall

Manager

Motherwell Football Club

I see he's dropped the "forever claret & amber". He must read this forum.

Hopefully the days e-mail will be something the folk that were doing their nut on Wednesday night will think about. Bit o perspective eh.

I have to say as a fully paid up member of the cynical bastards club, I'm actually very impressed by the honesty and openness SM has shown in these emails. He doesn't seem to shirk difficult subjects and clearly puts alot of thought into his feedback. Thinking about emailing him back and giving him some equally honest feedback about that mullet.......