Stuart Mccall Direct

SteelmaninOZ

Fal_Dosser made a good point on another thread, Jones with 15 years experience and McHugh with a number of run outs this season could have been introduced to eat up time. With fresh pairs of legs to help close down Utd players. Sorry Stuart, for the first time I don't agree with or see your logic on this.

Honestly, there really are a bunch of complete bangers on here. The manager fires out a wee e-mail to share his thoughts about whats going on at the club. Nothing controversial, just a way of letting folk who want to know what he's up to, what he's up to.

Then on here theres a bunch of you moaning about him doing it? Don't read it then, unsubscribe and leave it. While you're at it, don't moan about the club not communicating. Jesus.

:cheers:

• Like 1

Honestly, there really are a bunch of complete bangers on here. The manager fires out a wee e-mail to share his thoughts about whats going on at the club. Nothing controversial, just a way of letting folk who want to know what he's up to, what he's up to.

Then on here theres a bunch of you moaning about him doing it? Don't read it then, unsubscribe and leave it. While you're at it, don't moan about the club not communicating. Jesus.

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Belter of an email :cheers:

Good evening ‘Well fans,

It feels like ages since I have managed to sit down and type something to you; I apologise for the lack of emails after the last few games. As you can imagine, it has been an immensely busy period for the club.

It has been a quite amazing, and unbelievable, few weeks and it has been an honour and a privilege to be a part of it all. I said when emailing you a few weeks ago that I, along with the rest of the coaching staff and the players, was desperate to give you all a special end to the season and I still feel we are on course for that.

A credible draw two weeks ago at Tynecastle was followed by a pleasing display in the Semi Final meaning not only did we book a place in the Cup Final, but we have kept up our good run of form.

Today was your typical Motherwell master class – putting everyone through the mill of emotions. However, I was immensely proud of the way the players fought back to earn a draw which I felt they deserved. It proves, yet again, what terrific spirit, determination, will-to-win and pride in the jersey each and every one of them have.

Sometimes you, as fans, get patronised; I am sure you’ve all had your fair share of badge kissers come through Fir Park over the years. We don’t have that just now; we have a group who genuinely battle for each other, the club and you, the supporters. No more was that demonstrated than this afternoon.

I am proud to manage a team with that attitude and no praise is high enough for them.

The fans deserve special praise too. We had a great following at Tynecastle a fortnight ago and what can you say about Hampden? Sure, there weren’t 20,000 of you there but you made the noise of 20,000 and that really spurred the players on – particularly in the second half when fatigue kicks in and they are pushing for a goal. I enjoyed my brief visit to the Electric Bar – you all seemed to be having a good time.

But today, again, you demonstrated your qualities that are important for any successful team. We were 3-0 down and starting a defeat in the face but instead of booing or people abandoning us, from where I was certainly, it looked and sounded as if you stayed with the boys and you were rewarded. It was great to look up into the stands when John Sutton equalised to see people going crazy. That’s what makes football so special and I am delighted for every Motherwell fan who was there today.

More of the same celebrations between now and May 21st will be most welcome.

Thanks again – see you next Saturday!

All the best,

Stuart McCall

Manager

Motherwell Football Club

• Like 2

Well done SM- brilliant comments on the match- really wish I could have seen it online as I live here in Spain, but as they say "You can take the boy out of Motherwell but you can't take Motherwell out the boy".

Congrats to SM and Mwell players, who are red hot at the moment. COME ON YE WELL!!

the hairs on the back of ma neck were standing up reading that.

agreed.

the wee man ticks all the boxes for me so far. what else do we want from a manager & team?

cannae understand the bollocks spouted cos he's ex-Rangers.

was Butcher no' a "rangers man" & yet he got universal support.

at the end of the day the job done so far has been superb. Of course there will be glitches, we're Motherwell FFS, but when it comes down to it they are getting it right most weeks.

Mon the Well.:woop:

cannae understand the bollocks spouted cos he's ex-Rangers.

I've not seen any of that on this board.

Most posters, myself included, were sceptical of his appointment and have been vocal about it. Never seen anybody post we didn't want him 'cos hes ex rangers.

A really enjoyable read. McCall has turned the ship around as in December there was definetly a cloud hanging over the club. He has picked the players up, the support are getting behind him and the future looks good. Very impressed by his approach.

One comment about the players however. That is three out of the last four managers (mcGhee, Brown and now McCall) who have commented on what an excellent squad of players we have. The professional attitude and commitment does not come about by accident. The club deserve praise for creating the right atmosphere and I don't think we should underestimate the influence of the senior players Craigan. Lasley, Hammill leading by example. It is all the more satisfying given that two of the above managers jumped ship to join the biggest bunch of wasters in the SPL.

On the 'Forever Claret and Amber', I am pleased he has dropped it. McCall has been very honest and direct so far and that he will know as much as anyone that the FCaA statement just simply is not the case. He is a Bradford man and was very much a Rangers man when in Scotland. If he is successful with us he will move on. The important point is that he is showing total commitment to the Well just now, is building a genuine affection for the club and a good relationship with the fans. Lets just enjoy it for what it is.

Loved the badge kissing comment. Are you listening Craigy Brown.

• Like 2

A really enjoyable read. .............................. The important point is that he is showing total commitment to the Well just now, is building a genuine affection for the club and a good relationship with the fans. Lets just enjoy it for what it is.

Loved the badge kissing comment. Are you listening Craigy Brown.

Good post.

On the 'Forever Claret and Amber', I am pleased he has dropped it. McCall has been very honest and direct so far and that he will know as much as anyone that the FCaA statement just simply is not the case. He is a Bradford man and was very much a Rangers man when in Scotland. If he is successful with us he will move on. The important point is that he is showing total commitment to the Well just now, is building a genuine affection for the club and a good relationship with the fans. Lets just enjoy it for what it is.

Its a good post you put up, but I`m struggling to see why the "Forever Claret n Amber" line is a bad way to finish the e-mail :blink:

He is only refering to the fact that hes a Bradford man, and obv that fits in well with being our manager, as we play in the same colours! Not that hes gona be the Well manager forever, n all of a sudden we have become his favourite club!

He may not be our manager for years to come, but he will be a Bradford supporter forever, just like we will all be Well fans forever.

A think its a good wee touch.

Its a good post you put up, but I`m struggling to see why the "Forever Claret n Amber" line is a bad way to finish the e-mail :blink:

He is only refering to the fact that hes a Bradford man, and obv that fits in well with being our manager, as we play in the same colours! Not that hes gona be the Well manager forever, n all of a sudden we have become his favourite club!

He may not be our manager for years to come, but he will be a Bradford supporter forever, just like we will all be Well fans forever.

Hmmm. It's a clever play on the fact that everyone knows his deep association with Bradford, claret and amber colours and all, obviously but attempting to ingratiate yourself into Motherwell culture by signing off emails "Forever in Claret and Amber" when your just in the door is surely little different from the insincere badge kissing McCall refers to in his most recent article.

As it happens simply through his growing understanding of the club, and by word and deed over the course of the past five or six months he's doing everything he needs to and more to enamour himself to 'Well fans without the need for the "Forever in Claret and Amber" tagline.

A couple of years and couple of trophies and European tours down the line mind.......:thumbup:

• Like 1

Not wanting to piss on your parade. Dig a little deeper... he was a Leeds supporter! Those with white rose leanings may confirm. The affinity with the club who share claret and amber is from his time spent in Bradistan :nod:

• 4 weeks later...

The post-cup final email has been sent out;

It’s Monday afternoon after a really disappointing weekend and just watching the game back, it just adds to the emptiness.

As the game got nearer our belief got bigger, preparations had gone well and everyone was fit and focused, but we knew we would have to be at our best and carry a big slice of lady luck, unfortunately, we got neither.

After the second-half mauling against Rangers, I knew we couldn’t start the game 4-4-2; the two occasions we’ve played well against the Old Firm this year was going 4-3-3 (in our unlucky defeat in the Co-operative Insurance Cup Semi Final and our memorable 2-0 win over Celtic at Fir Park).

The shape had been decided on weeks before, it was the personnel which needed sorting and the unfortunate injury to Maurice Ross, which restricted him to only two proper days training with the squad before the Final, forced my decision.

Tom Hateley had played Commons fantastically well in our 2-0 win in February so I needed a third midfield player to join Keith Lasley and Steve Jennings, and watching our 2-2 draw with Dundee Utd up at Tannadice where Stevie Hammell had done well in that role, I opted for him which enabled us to play Gavin Gunning in an attacking full-back role whilst giving us extra height when defending set plays.

So that was my thinking behind the selection and, in honesty, if you watch the game back, Commons, Hooper and Samaras were well marshalled all afternoon.

The disappointing aspect was that although they had rarely troubled us up to the half-hour mark and the shape was solid, our possession and use of the ball wasn’t as good as we know it can be and we carried little threat.

That said; going in 1-0 down at half-time was harsh! They had one long range left-footed strike that flew in; ours crashed back off the bar and that was all there was between the sides. On another day, we could very well have been level.

We had a brief spell in the second half where we were on the front foot but couldn’t sustain any real pressure. But, having gone to 4-4-2 with 18 minutes left, we were still in there fighting until a cruel deflection and lady luck went against us. The second goal, and not the first as was widely predicted, was the defining moment of the game.

We all left Hampden gutted because we failed to produce our best which you need if you are to beat either half of the Old Firm.

You, the fans, were terrific and stayed with the players. The players, to their credit, gave there all in terms of endeavour and effort, and should be remembered for an outstanding season with their performances in Europe, in both Cup competitions and finishing in the top six of the SPL after a long season.

We will be doing everything we can to keep most of the squad together as the spirit in the dressing room is excellent. We’ll know where we stand in the next few weeks.

Finally, I would like to thank the fans, the staff and the players for making me so welcome and pulling together after the disruption in the middle part of the campaign. It has been a rollercoaster of emotions but one I can’t to be going through again soon.

Hopefully see you all back, refreshed and raring to go, come the 23rd July.

All the best,

Stuart McCall

Manager

Motherwell Football Club