Stuart Mccall Direct

SteelmaninOZ

What we need is good tactics, players to stand up and fight for the cause , i cant be arsed with this were not good enough attitude, the fact is we are. That's the worst Rangers team in years, and for them to role away with a 3 nil win is piss poor. I have to questions the managers attitude could that be what's rubbed off today

Lets grow a pair, and match up man on man, and for gods sake can someone tell the players to let some shots go, we can't walk the ball into the net.

It's the worst Rangers team since the last worst Rangers team.

We can beat Rangers on any given day, but it will happen once in a blue moon because they are simply far better than us. If anyone honestly thinks our XI matches up to theirs in quality then they need their heads checked. Jelavic alone is twice, three times the player than anyone in our squad.

That doesn't mean we don't try, it doesn't mean we can't beat them, it doesn't mean it's acceptable to just roll over and hand them the three points, but let's have some sense of realism, please.

• Like 2

It's the worst Rangers team since the last worst Rangers team.

We can beat Rangers on any given day, but it will happen once in a blue moon because they are simply far better than us.

I went to watch The Smurfs yesterday, their blue moons seem to occur a lot more often than ours.

See this "the worst Rangers team in however many years" line that our fans always trott out, can folk not see that regardless of how 'bad' this Rangers team may be they still along with Celtic dominate, nay piss all over the rest of the SPL and finish at least fifteen points ahead of the rest every single year? They may not be as awash with the quality they were during their big spending nine in a row era but they are still miles ahead of us in terms of quality and will beat us nine times out of ten no matter how we are playing at the time.

You need luck to beat either Rangers or Celtic, aswell as a more shrewd game plan than we saw today. Folk say we get no luck when we play Rangers or always fail to turn up against them compare to against Celtic, but let's not forget that two seasons ago we were holding our own against them at Fir Park, level at 0-0 and with five minutes to go are awarded a soft penalty and they are reduced to ten men. Finally some luck and a break against Rangers....only for us to blow it by missing the penalty!

Dare I say it, we WILL beat Rangers again some day and it will probably happen when we least expect it as it so often does with us, who knows maybe even at Ibrox, but forget this 'there's no better time to play them cos this is the worst Rangers team since...' because it just doesn't work like that. They are better than us, significantly better than us and there really is no such thing as a good time to play them.

I'd hate to be part of the team talk that went 'Fingers crossed lads, they might have an off day and we won't get humped".

But how we do know that was part of his team-talk or if it was the level of importance it was given? Unless anyone has been privy to that team-talk I think we can only speculate.

If we are going on what he's said pre-match let's remember the remark wasn't made in isolation he also talked of us playing at our best and getting some luck too.

Again I can only speculate but I'd reckon that given how we were set up to try to take the game to Rangers, albeit it ended up leaving us exposed at times, that he would have been emphasising the potential of our own players abilities to capitalise on the circumstances surrounding Rangers currently.

Terry Butcher gets a mention in the thread but don't forget he regularly stood accused of the same things McCall has been today in talking up Rangers before we played them.

Don't get me wrong I personally think McCall got it wrong tactically against Rangers but I don't think he was telling any lies in his three pronged view of what is needed to beat Rangers. I just that we need to remember that it was a three pronged view and be open to the suggestion that the key element of his tactical planning wasn't just hoping for an off day or for good luck as appears to being pounced upon by some.

And also what he say in the press isn't necessarily the message he hammers home to the players before they leave that dressing room. No-one leaves a dressing room in my experience (mainly amateur) with zero belief in their ability to get a result, professional teams multiply that by, erm....quite a bit.

It's basic sports psychology - don't even mention negatives. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging you are playing a good team, but saying the only way you can beat them is if they have an off-day is the wrong attitude. Even if you only say it to the media, the players still hear it.

Same with the "we don't get judged against the Old Firm" comment.

The better approach is the "if we play our best we can match any team on the day".

I don't care so much that our record against Rangers is so poor. It's that more often than not the mental approach to the game seems all wrong and we end up folding like a cheap suit.

It's basic sports psychology - don't even mention negatives. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging you are playing a good team, but saying the only way you can beat them is if they have an off-day is the wrong attitude. Even if you only say it to the media, the players still hear it.

The better approach is the "if we play our best we can match any team on the day".

I don't care so much that our record against Rangers is so poor. It's that more often than not the mental approach to the game seems all wrong and we end up folding like a cheap suit.

How can our players mental approach be right when they hear the manager talking about them as if he were still there? Even more important how can the managers mental approach be right if he still thinks like that?

• 1 year later...

Bumped for Eightsixteen to post the latest motivational words

and I'll mention this, time for our esteemed guardians to mention that the constant, everyone is really good on their day chat and reminding us of stronger squads etc is driving fans to distraction

Couldn't find this thread for the life of me, cheers for the bump Brazilian!

Good evening 'Well fans,

There is no doubt we are on a difficult run at the moment but we have got to work really hard to turn things around. I don't think the problem we have is with creating chances; from the recent games we have lost, we perhaps could have achieved more had we been more clinical in the final third.

I don't believe there is a lot wrong; look at our opponents on Saturday St Johnstone. They along with Inverness were down near the bottom at the start of the campaign but put together a great wee run and pushed themselves to the top end of the table. There is such a fine line between success and failure in this division and the margins are so small.

We've had a bit of bad luck both in terms of losing late goals and some calls from the officials. That will change soon I am sure. At this stage, the league table isn't essential, it's just about winning football matches and that is our aim this weekend against Saints.

Steve Lomas' side will be looking to bounce back from a midweek Cup defeat at the hands of Celtic but I don't anticipate that result will have any effect on Saturday's match. I think we are all sensible enough to know that if you are playing against Celtic, home or away, and they are on top of their game there is very little the other eleven clubs can do. That's no negative, it's not saying that they are unbeatable by any matter of means, you just need things to go for you and they didn't for us at Fir Park a few weeks ago and they didn't for Saints on Tuesday.

St Johnstone have probably got one of the strongest squads in the SPL in terms of depth and experience – they will fancy themselves to be there or thereabouts at the end of the campaign. Steve could probably change four or five bodies and not lose much in terms of quality. That all being said, we are going to Perth confident and looking to take all three points.

Both the players and management staff are desperate to give you, the fans, something to cheer about. We have a big week coming up with games against St Johnstone, Dundee Utd and Dundee. If we can take positive results from these matches then it might put a whole different complexion and raise spirits after a difficult October.

Stick with the team; give the lads all the encouragement you can this Saturday and the two home games next week.

Thanks and all the best,

Stuart McCall

"I don't believe there is a lot wrong"

Doesn't look as if there are going to be many changes for tomorrow.

What you think we have the sqaud that we can make a lot of changes?

Think what most people are looking for is a settled back four, generally involving Hately, Hutchison and Hammell. The fourth member is up for debate, one of our younger lads Kerr or Cummins who have been understandably up and down performance wise or Ramsden.

Also getting Carswell or Ramsden in the midfield as a more combative presence to let Lasley play further forward like last season and push Law back a left sided position he can roam a bit from as he doesn't seem to be as influential in the centre just now.

Therefore pushing Murphy or Ojamma up closer to Higdon up front.

We needing changes but if subtle small ones can fix it we're humped because we don't have a raft of options.