The Relegation Battle

DEWELL

Now that we're embroiled in a 4 way relegation battle with Accies-Caley-Falkirk-StMirren i feel we do have the players to escape it but after last night's gutless display against Kilmarnock's reserves there are several things about our team that bother me

1-Why is Mark Reynolds(whose pish header led to their 2nd goal)remaining as a central defender when he clearly doesn't have the body strentgh to hold off an attacker. PLAY HIM LEFT SIDE OF MIDFIELD.

2.Why does the crap Steven McGarry get a game in the LEFT side of midfield when he's right footed.

3.Why did MM play 2 tall but slow strikers in Sutton and Porter when he had no-one going wide to supply them with decent service.

4. Jim O'Brian is crap

5.Bob Malcolm is NOT a midfielder he's a central defender.

I believe that if MM starts to THINK about his team selections in the forthcoming weeks and playing players in their best positions we can get ourselves out of this mess and although the top 6 is now beyond us we can get to mid table security and let MM get the move to his 'BIGGER' club at the end of the season.

Now that we're embroiled in a 4 way relegation battle with Accies-Caley-Falkirk-StMirren i feel we do have the players to escape it but after last night's gutless display against Kilmarnock's reserves there are several things about our team that bother me

1-Why is Mark Reynolds(whose pish header led to their 2nd goal)remaining as a central defender when he clearly doesn't have the body strentgh to hold off an attacker. PLAY HIM LEFT SIDE OF MIDFIELD.

2.Why does the crap Steven McGarry get a game in the LEFT side of midfield when he's right footed.

3.Why did MM play 2 tall but slow strikers in Sutton and Porter when he had no-one going wide to supply them with decent service.

4. Jim O'Brian is crap

I believe that if MM starts to THINK about his team selections in the forthcoming weeks and playing players in their best positions we can get ourselves out of this mess....

I agree with most that. Maybe Jim O'Brien is due a chance to prove himself though. He was brought on last night in the second half when the game was pretty much lost and our heads were down. Not the best stage on which to perform. If he proves not to be up to it then fine, but lads like McGarry are chosen week in week out and still don't perform. Like McGarry though he's played on the wrong wing.

We might have a bit of talent in the squad but I'm not at all confident we're cut out for a fight.

4. Jim O'Brian is crap

I believe that if MM starts to THINK about his team selections in the forthcoming weeks and playing players in their best positions we can get ourselves out of this mess and although the top 6 is now beyond us we can get to mid table security and let MM get the move to his 'BIGGER' club at the end of the season.

1. Mark Reynolds, originally a left back, was brought into central defence as we had no other recognisable centre halfs available to us and has to date been one of the most successful stories in the last few years. This season however he has not been playing to his usual standard and this could be down to the fact that he's still a young lad and is still learning his trade. Also he's played alongside 3 different players in central defence and hasn't had a steady partnership in that area that he had with Craigan last year or the year before.

2. Why Steven McGarry gets a game at all is beyond belief, but to play him on the left when he's clearly right footed is well, totally unbelievable! You've got a lot of spirit McGarry, but your no where good enough to play in the SPL. 1st division at best.

3. McGhee must think Sutton and Porter are target men, but they aint. They are strikers, goalscorers, who need service in the box not the ball lumped high in the air up to them.

4. Jim O'Brian is one of the worst footballers I have seen at Fir Park in a long time. How much did we pay for this numpty? i hope it wasn't a lot.

5. Boab 'Muttonheid' Malcolm does indeed play better at centre half than further up the field although he can be suspect against forwards with pace (Hibs game especially)

Not a thread title you want to see, but the league table isn't pleasant viewing just now. I only saw the first half last night, and it was pretty desparate. On the bright side, it's only Mid-December and there's an awful long way to go. A couple of wins and you're back chasing the top six. There's hard work ahead, but the current squad is capable of much better. The Lanarkshire derby ticks all the boxes of the "six pointer" cliche. It's a big game.

yeah were pish just now, and on here is the place to moan about that, at the game, screaming at our own fucking players after minutes is a wanky old firm thing to do!

the playes need a shake but i think mr mcghee needs his arse felt as well, you want your move to a bigger club? pull your fucking finger out and prove your good enough for it!

4. Jim O'Brian is crap

1. Not good enough for centre half this season, don't see him at left mid either. All that said he is as good as anything we have for centre half.

2. Good question

3. Another good question even without the width part at the end. It doesn't work.

4. No he isn't. He turned the game at Inverness. Everytime he has been on for any more than five minutes he has come on when the game has gone and he clearly has no first team sharpness. I think we need to give him a run out to utilise him though I don't see how he fits in. However given the mince we've served up in recent weeks I'm sure we can find away.

5. Bob Malcolm is quite steady in either position without being breathtaking. When he played in midfield last season he gave Hughes room to play. Problem is we could send Hughes out there by himself at the moment and he wouldn't play which means the benefit of Bob in the midfield is not being seen. At centre half he did not cope with Hibs at all due to their pace though against the lesser teams he can do a job.

No reason we cannot make top six as I believe we have a good run in is and I also believe the four who are already in there will all have at least one bad run between now and May. We need to make sure we start winning against the crap and then take that forward to get points off the Hibs, Hearts, Uniteds and Aberdeens.

I didnt think boab was bad at all last night. He delivered a good number of long passes right onto there targets, and seemed to get around more than usual. He's definatley shed a couple of pounds and looked a bit fitter. My main problem with him last night was that on a few occasions players layed the ball off to him in a shooting position just outside the box but he never hit a shot. Can he only strike a dead ball??

5. Boab 'Muttonheid' Malcolm does indeed play better at centre half than further up the field although he can be suspect against forwards with pace (Hibs game especially)

The thing with playing Boab in midfield is we have cover when his pass goes astray to one of the opposition.

If we're going to play Boab at CB then we need to find another free kick expert as he isn't the fastest at getting back into position. In fact during the Hibs game he was still halfway inside Hibs half when they had the ball in our box.

First and foremost we need to start making ourselves hard to beat even if that means grinding out a few 0-0 draws particularly away from FP.

It may go against McGhee's attack minded philosophy but when you are the end of the SPL we are then you need to be able to scrap it out.  Alas we look far too light weight in too many key areas to scrap it out.

Suggest that we start on Saturday by going to 4-5-1 and try to shut the game down and plan not to lose.  If break-away chances come then good and well but I don't think we should go chasing the game. To do this all the players - particularly the midfielders - need to operate as a unit and be disciplined at keeping the defensive shape of the team.  This is something we are piss poor at so it won't be easy.

Start by telling the two full backs not to cross halfway line especially Hammell who is so easily sucked forward out of position.<br><br>Sometimes needs must and wee Gerbil Jaws was adept at this kind of tactic of setting us up and making us hard to score against when required. McGhee needs to do likewise, for a wee while at least until we are safely away from the trap door to SFL1.

First and foremost we need to start making ourselves hard to beat even if that means grinding out a few 0-0 draws particularly away from FP.

I see where you're coming from but I disagree. We don't have the players needed to make ourselves a hard to beat team. None of our players can defend to a high enough level to do it.

We CAN be a "score one more than you" team and I think when Clarkson comes back we can (or should) play him and Murphy either side of Sutton.

McGarry. Fuck me, not a left sided midfielder by any stretch of the imagination. Should be dropped. Fitzpatrick can play his role and plays like he'd take a bullet for a win.

Malcolm. Fine in the holding role, and good with passing. Playing him behind Fitzy and Lasley in centre mid with Murphy and Clarkson playing wide would be my choice. Drop Hughes!

I think our team needs a really big sorting out to be honest. In goals I have no complaints, the only player I would say who has shown any great direction this year has been Smith. He has been miles better.

At the back we could do with some real sorting out. Quinn hasn't looked capable of reproducing his early form of last season at all. Hammell has looked good in bursts, but I would have to say that I'd much rather have Jim Paterson plodding up and down the left flank. Reynolds hasn't been great at all this season. Fair play to the lad he has played pretty much every game since he came in, but he is not the build of a centre half, and that shows with the percentage of aerial challenges he wins! I think we've missed Craigan's simplicity, more than we may have imagined.

Bob Malcolm looks a far better bet at centre half, doesn't do it in midfield for me, but at the back he seems assured and can read the game well. Hughes hasn't been anything like last year, the odd flash here and there, but nowhere near the form that controlled games this time last year. Lasley has been his usual busy, workmanlike self, but has had little or no support from those around him. McGarry has just looked sub-standard, despite knocking his pan in, he doesn't half the quality. Fitzpatrick seems to do enough to be a stop gap player, but not a permanent fixture.

Jim O'Brien looks like one of the worst players I've ever seen play with Motherwell. All he seems to be able to do is run with the ball, the way he is facing, until a challenge comes in. I've yet to see him come even close to winning a tackle. Both Porter and Clarkson have had interrupted seasons, but both haven't been as dangerous as last season. Sutton started well but has seemed to peter out. I don't think Sutton and Porter can play together, and they don't operate as a three with Clarkson. I think trying to accomodate Sutton has made Porter and Clarkson have to modify their roles from last season, which were so successful. We miss McCormack more than we'd ever imagined. Also, too much seems to be getting pinned on Jamie Murphy. Even though he's been on the bench most of the time, when we are losing, it seems everyone seems to think he has the instant ability to reverse that.

In contrast to that, I think we could be seeing more of Darren Smith to be honest. 10 minutes at the end of the game isn't enough, I think giving him a run in the team could be beneficial.

I dont see how O'Brien can be slated as being cack, since his start of the SPL season he has played 131 minutes the longest of those being in a 32 minute sub appearance.

Gie the guy a chance, he must have something about him, after all McGhee stated he would sign anyone not better than what is already here.

baw deep in the relegation battle now.

weve got a good squad, missing key players, yada, yada fecking yada.

THE NEXT FEW GAMES ARE CRUCIAL AND WE NEED POINTS RAPID!

just a pitty airdire are going down as well, a few games against them might just take the edge off going down if we do.

and for what itsworth i thought o'brien had a decent game, few decent balls into the box