The Green Green Grass Of Home

delboy

No effect whatsoever - it's as dry as a bone (honestly)... There hasn't been a single puddle either on or around the surface.

We've got 19 drains running across the pitch which leads into our main drain that runs alongside the Main Stand. These drains are linked up using sand channels a few inches down into the pitch.

The net result is despite the deluge of rain, we've got a perfect pitch.

Well worth the money!

'Flow

Thanks Flow,

Good to hear that its went well!!

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've heard from someone who does work at fir park and knows the groundsman well that the pitch could be quite bare this winter due to the grass not being properly established. the technicalities of growing grass were lost on me but the jist of it was it could be poor this winter but fine after that.

whatever happens it won't be as bad as last winter.

You will have heard it from the Ian himself during the summer when we were doing the updates. It doesn't have anything to do with things not being done right; all new pitches from seed go through a tough first winter and it's fair to say we won't have a bowling green all through November/December/January but apparently after the first year the grass can cope with the harsher weather far better...

But you are correct - it won't be anything like as bad as the previous two winters...

'Flow

You will have heard it from the Ian himself during the summer when we were doing the updates. It doesn't have anything to do with things not being done right; all new pitches from seed go through a tough first winter and it's fair to say we won't have a bowling green all through November/December/January but apparently after the first year the grass can cope with the harsher weather far better...

But you are correct - it won't be anything like as bad as the previous two winters...

'Flow

So in other words, come the winter we will still be playing on a muck heap, the only difference is that it will be a flat muck heap. :blink:

'Flow

that's what i thought, it was explained to me in a fair bit of detail from someone who does a lot of work at fir park. just thought it might be handy to alert everyone to the likelyhood that the pitch probably won't be looking lush in a few months time. we're probably going to take it tight in the media but it would be good if everyone on here knows what's happening before fingers start pointing.

You're right mate - I suppose it depends on what the winter is like. Hopefully it isn't as harsh but if August / September is anything to go by then I think we can't bank on it being bad. Two years ago it never stopped raining for the whole winter and we had problems with the pitch being flooded due to the drainage problems under the pitch. That has hopefully been completely rectified - all signs point to a resolution given how wet the last month has been yet the pitch is in perfect nick - however you won't be able to tell how things cope until it actually happens.

Last year, we had a cold, more frozen winter, which caused us so many problems because of the USH system. We were forced to hire in, at great expense, our heating balloon which totally wrecked the pitch.

This season, we have a brand spanking new Under Soil Heating system that has been tested extensively and is working fine.

I suppose it's just a case of waiting to see what the winter brings. The pitch will take a bit of a tough time because the grass is brand new. How bad really depends on how inclement the weather is.

'Flow

• 4 months later...

Fucking hell, pitch was in some nick today. I know they said it might end up a bit bare around this time in the season but we've not played on it for a month and it was just cutting up all over the place, i noticed someone has been doing wheelies on it with a tractor or something too. I also thought big Juke was going take a header off the stretcher when the wheels sunk.

i noticed someone has been doing wheelies on it with a tractor or something too.

Was very dissapointed with the damage from plant equipment being used on it, you'd think with the amount thats been spent on it and all the previous problems, that it would only be very light plant or even hand operated equipment that was being used on it when it is so vunerable

My concern is if that is the nick of it in January what will it be like come April/May? I thought Ruddy was going to lose a freak goal at some point in the second half. We have a good wee run of matches coming up at FP over the next few weeks; Rangers, Accies, Hibs, and, Killie all at home as well as the CIS Cup Semi Final. All before February is out. Could get worse before it gets better.

problem is the undersoil heating damaging the grass but being required to help deal with the snow and keep the game on. This with the new pitch being laid won't help at all. hopefully by April things will have started to grow and effectivly the pitch will start reguvinating itself to some extent.

A bit of a rest for it now would be good.

Pitch looked very poor today (and dry) however this is to be expected with the age of the pitch and also the very cold weather and snow we have just gone through.

Unlike the old scum we can not afford to use massive grow lamps on the pitch and keep the grass growing 365 days a year.

Once the weather improves and we getting a bit more sunlight on the pitch it will very quickly green up.

Mind you it's still an easy target for the media to take a pop at us because of the state of the pitch.

evening chaps :rolleyes:

i'll try to explain

tractor marks - the pitch was due a feed so the spray tank is operated on the back of the tractor, so the tractor is a necessary evil

the hellish weather coupled with the need of undersoil heating, pitch covers and the age of the pitch has left it in this state

we have tried our best to get the pitch in as good nick as possible, but unfortunately we cant control the weather we can only guard against it

at half time i walked up and the down the east wing fixing the divets even down on my hands and knees making sure its green-side up!

because its such a porous surface the water just slinks right through it, the irrigation has been going, firing water onto every area of the pitch especially through the center where play is mainly.

each season the surface will get better and better :)

This all sounds like deflection. The weather? Well the whole of scotland has been the same!

I haven't seen what the other SPL pitches were like today but I bet none of them were anywhere near as bad as ours. Face it, the pitch isn't very good.

Fucking hell, pitch was in some nick today. I know they said it might end up a bit bare around this time in the season but we've not played on it for a month and it was just cutting up all over the place, i noticed someone has been doing wheelies on it with a tractor or something too. I also thought big Juke was going take a header off the stretcher when the wheels sunk.

There was about 4 thousand inches of snow and temperatures of minus 16 approx. Cold that not hve had any affect on the pitch ?

We won 2-0 today our second league win on the trot where we have scored 5 and conceded fuck all! Congratulations mate you have found something to moan about :rolleyes: